Eric Loves Rey

US WEEKEND THREAD: Record 70.25 OW (highest grossing OW for an original horror)

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I would remove War of the Worlds, I think that was a disaster film. 

I tend to agree with you. I should add that I went with what BOM categorizes in its horror categories. War of the Worlds, along with films like Prometheus and I Am Legend, are in the Sci-Fi Horror category. For the sake of consistency (because I would, for example, definitely say Prometheus is of the horror film variety), I have included everything, because what constitutes horror (and its many flavours) is always debatable. 

Peace,

Mike

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, YSLDC said:

Lol.. wait for the reviews.

25 million tops. 

$ 65M is the industry projection... they don't overpredict a movie that much, especially $ 40M more than actual numbers lol

could be a little worse or better than this depending on reviews, last marketing push etc, but no way it will go that low

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

$ 65M is the industry projection... they don't overpredict a movie that much, especially $ 40M more than actual numbers lol

could be a little worse or better than this depending on reviews, last marketing push etc, but no way it will go that low

I highly doubt it hits 65M.  Nothing so far has indicated it'll get there aside from industry tracking.  55M is the most I can see for it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, YSLDC said:

Lol.. wait for the reviews.

25 million tops. 

Is there early word that Dumbo is a mess? 

Wait, it starts in 3 days and there are no reviews. I guess that could be a sign lol

Edited by Krissykins

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

You weren't around for some other big openers, huh...

"And that’s what the Justice League box office tracking numbers are showing: the film is estimated to make $110 million domestically during its opening weekend and as much as $355 million worldwide in that same time period."

https://www.slashfilm.com/justice-league-box-office-tracking-110-million/

“Mary Poppins Returns” hits theaters this Wednesday and has a 76 percent score on Rotten Tomatoes. Independent projections are wide-ranging for most of this weekend’s releases, but “Returns” is tracking for a five-day opening in the $60 million range"

https://www.thewrap.com/aquaman-mary-poppins-vice-bumblebee-crowded-christmas-box-office/

I could keep posting, but tracking is not a guarantee of a box office floor...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Wait, it starts in 3 days and there are no reviews. I guess that could be a sign lol

it had reactions online bc the social embargo lifted and were positive we will see how it will continue

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I highly doubt it hits 65M.  Nothing so far has indicated it'll get there aside from industry tracking.  55M is the most I can see for it.

i can see $ 55M, is completely reasonable... but $ 25M? no way

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

You weren't around for some other big openers, huh...

"And that’s what the Justice League box office tracking numbers are showing: the film is estimated to make $110 million domestically during its opening weekend and as much as $355 million worldwide in that same time period."

https://www.slashfilm.com/justice-league-box-office-tracking-110-million/

“Mary Poppins Returns” hits theaters this Wednesday and has a 76 percent score on Rotten Tomatoes. Independent projections are wide-ranging for most of this weekend’s releases, but “Returns” is tracking for a five-day opening in the $60 million range"

https://www.thewrap.com/aquaman-mary-poppins-vice-bumblebee-crowded-christmas-box-office/

I could keep posting, but tracking is not a guarantee of a box office floor...

I've been around other big openers, i know this... but you don't bring really good examples. MPR was an anomaly, presales for example are indeed really good. JL have terrible reviews which probably hurt the debut. Also, it's more hard tracking a + 100M opener than a $ 60M.

See, i din't say Dumbo can't go lower then tracking, i say clearly that it could do worse or better depending on some factors like reviews and last marketing push. But $ 25M? Come on, $ 65M tracking isn't really a huge number to industry miss their projection by $ 40M, this is nonsense.

14 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Reviews out tomorrow, reactions are out for a couple days, in general they are good / great. Doesn't seem like we should worried about.

45 minutes ago, john2000 said:

it had reactions online bc the social embargo lifted and were positive we will see how it will continue

Strange that there are so few reactions from actual critics on social media. But I expect good reviews, this is a Tim Burton movie after all.

• Like 1