March 16, 5:10 PM, 90% full

Portage 16 IMAX, Portage, IN

Trailers

Admission

Tyler Perry's Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Conselor

The Great Gatsby

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones

Evil Dead

The audience made the movie. Laughing at the cheesy dialogue, ooing at the stupid one-liners, and overall, it made a crappy movie enjoyable. Only issue was a baby crying, but honestly, I didn't mind it. Great crowd, great time!

Posted Image

Identity Theft

3/19/13 1:45pm; 2 people (just me and my half sister)

Regal Arnot Mall 10

Trailers

The Heat

Hangover 3 (We both loved this trailer)

Olympus Has Fallen 

Review:

Just before entering the theater there is a little banner just above the doorway to the theater that shows this poster. Well I felt like a sucker after paying to see this movie.

I just saw this piece of shit today and GOD DAMN does this movie have problems. First off the story makes no logical sense and would never happen like that in the real world. This movie makes the police look like the laziest people in the world. The B story lines never really go anywhere. Now I can usually forgive a movie for a sloppy story if its really funny but I only laughed 3 or 4 times, most of the jokes are really bad. Toward the end when Bateman's character has a change of heart toward McCarthy's character is just non believable because McCarthy's character has not shown anything redeemable and is still a bitch. The fact that Bateman and McCarthy are in this movie is a sad fact because their better then this. I just can't imagine that they would be impressed by this (maybe McCarthy was after watching the trailer for The Heat).

Grade: D+

I was gonna give this movie a C- but I think I enjoyed this more because my half sister and I were the only ones in the theater and thus were able to talk and crack jokes without bothering anyone.

Edited by Scott Pilgrim vs The Forum
  • Like 1

Hey everybody. Sorry I've been gone for a while. Seen A LOT of movies, including one tonight. To summarize those I've seen:

Stoker - A (seriously, everybody go see Stoker!)

Burt Wonderstone - C

21 & Over - low B

Dark Skies - B

and tonight...

Posted Image

The Croods

6:30PM Friday, March 22nd

Regal Fenway 13 & RPX

Theater Capacity: 150 (70% full; SO MANY CHILDREN)

Ticket Price: $9.00

Concessions: n/a

TRAILERS: all of the trailers had the same reaction, which was about a hundred children talking loudly and laughing at asinine jokes. The first two movies looked stupid, and the last three looked amazing!

Turbo

Smurfs 2

Despicable Me 2

Star Trek: Into Darkness

Monsters University

THE FILM:

I was riding my bike home from work and passed the movie theater when I remembered that this was released today. I'd only seen one trailer for this, but I remember it had impressed the heck out of me with its visual effects. Dreamworks Animation really presents a feast for the eyes with The Croods, showcasing imaginative creatures and jaw-dropping landscapes. I recall reading a review summary that compared this film to Avatar, and now I can see why. Visually, it demonstrates progress, and its story may resonate, even if it's just playing it safe.

The voice work in Croods was great. Emma Stone and Ryan Reynolds continue to pick their material well. Between this and Kick-Ass (and Knowing I suppose), I think Nicolas Cage should only play paternal, fatherly roles because it just works so well for him. Add in Catherine Keener, Clark Duke, and Cloris Leachman, and you've got a distinctive voice cast made up of talented comedians whom make for a very hilarious movie. There were several scenes where I laughed a lot, but also a few memorable belly laughs and recurring jokes that left some of us in the theater choking for air (myself included).

Watching this with an audience full of children was great. It's definitely very family-friendly, but there's enough comedy diversity in The Croods to reach all four quadrants. Like I said, the humor was great, but the overall story could've probably used a little more work. I guess my only qualms about The Croods are similar to my biggest qualms in Brave: a story about family that should invoke catharsis and eventually falls short. Fortunately, there's more to like about The Croods as they're a family that anyone could probably identify with at some level. I definitely recommend anybody check it out.

Experience - 28/30

Story/Writing - 15/20

Acting - 14/15

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - 14/15

Directing - 7/10

Music - 7/10

THE VERDICT: 85/100, A

Edited by Andy Stitzer 2

No, I mean how do you grade "direction". What do you look for in the movie?

I look for everything falling into place as it should. A 10/10 director has done everything he/she could with the resources available to them to make the best possible movie they could make. A 10/10 director makes everyone on the team step up to the plate, even if their talents are comparably mediocre to others working in the industry.

• Like 1

DOUBLE CROWD REPORT!!!

Admission

Posted Image

4:00PM Saturday, March 23rd

Regal Fenway 13 & RPX

Theater Capacity: 250 (60% full)

Ticket Price: $9.00

Concessions: n/a

TRAILERS:

The Host - talking, meh

The Place Beyond the Pines - looks excellent, great trailer, lots of talking, and a good reaction

Despicable Me 2 - very loud laughs, very good reaction

The Heat - laughing out lout, a few belly laughs from crowd, great reaction

One Direction: 3D - some talking

The Great Gatsby - some talking (I love this trailer!)

The Big Wedding - great reaction from girls in the audience

THE FILM:

I worked for three years during college as a tour guide and part-time admissions assistant at the visitor center for my school, so I was especially excited to see a movie about that work atmosphere. The first 15 minutes of the film gets that down pretty well (SIDE NOTE: if Admission was accurate, than it appears my alma mater is actually more selective than Princeton University). Sadly, the movie's pretty downhill after that.

Tina Fey tries hard to be funny, but that's a challenge when you're playing a serious person. And Paul Rudd is grossly under-utilized. I think each of their characters are sincerely sweet, well-meaning people, but their chemistry is extremely forced. Just because they're both A-quality professional comics doesn't mean they make an A-quality on-screen couple; they don't. Tina Fey & Steve Carrell may work, or Paul Rudd & Elizabeth Banks work; but this pair just doesn't. Still, I thought Lily Tomlin was hilarious as Tina Fey's mother, and Michael Sheen is memorable as the pretentious ex-boyfriend (not unlike his character in Midnight In Paris).

Purely on the merits of the film being about college admission do I recommend this film to a select group of people (they know who they are). This movie is not worth going to see in theaters and feels very mediocre on both the comic and emotional fronts.

Experience - 18/30

Story/Writing - 8/20

Acting - 10/15

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - 10/15

Directing - 6/10

Music - 6/10

THE VERDICT: 58/100, C

-------------

Posted Image

Spring Breakers

9:55PM Sunday, March 24th

Coolidge Theater

Theater Capacity: ~500 (15% full)

Ticket Price: $10.00

Concessions: Popcorn, $5.00

TRAILERS: NONE

THE FILM:

"Spring break. Spring break. Spring break forever."

The first two or three times James Franco repeats this line in the film everyone can't help but giggle in the audience. As it's said, there's just shot-after-shot of teens and twenty-somethings partying on the beach, getting naked, and living life in paradise. But eventually, the story appears to be taking itself more seriously and the final couple times you hear that phrase, you start to think that maybe spring break has gone on long enough... the principle characters eventually feel that way as well.

All of the core characters definitely got lost in their roles. Former Disney starlets Vanessa Hudgens and Selena Gomez seem keen on shedding their "good girl" reputations from yesteryear for Spring Breakers. The film definitely earns a hard R-rating. Had the camera angled a few degrees down during a couple three-way love-making scenes, the film probably could've gotten an NC-17 rating. James Franco is really something else in this, even if he plays a guy I would loathe in reality. But still, there's something admirable about the relationship he has with the girls in this film. I especially love the role music plays in this movie. The suggestion of pop princess Britney Spears could've been a punchline, but impressively writer/director Harmony Korine finds a way to make Spears' music elevate to a meaningful statement.

The movie wasn't received well by everyone in the theater--I heard at least four people leaving the theater complaining in shock that this movie had so many positive reviews. It's definitely dark and very different from most pictures. The shots throughout the film are very fast-paced, like something out of an early Darren Aronofsky picture. And the shots themselves frequently jump back and forth, progressing forward throughout but foreshadowing pretty regularly as well. While the movie gives me another few reasons to feel good about my choices to move away from Florida ("paradise"? HA!), there were a fair share of qualities about it that I really liked, chief among which would be the best soundtrack I remember from a film since Drive. I recommend Spring Breakers to anyone that's ever envied others who live carelessly during spring break.

Experience - 26/30

Story/Writing - 17/20

Acting - 12/15

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - 15/15

Directing - 9/10

Music - 10/10

THE VERDICT: 89/100, A

• Like 1

Admission

March 25, 4:50 PM, 5% full

Portage 16 IMAX, Portage, IN

Trailers (No reactions)

The Big Wedding

1D3D

Despicable Me 2

Absolutely dead audience the whole time. The movie was okay, but the audience almost ruined it.

Saw Identity Thief today. Very funny, but after seeing it I kept thinking about Side Effects. Not a good sign since I saw that yesterday. That movie just sticks with us.

I also saw IT the day after I saw SE. No question which was better.
  • Like 2

Saw G.I. Joe last night at an early screening, 500 seat theater was about half full but i think that was because nobody really knew there was a showing that night, hell me and my friends who are super nerds who follow movies everyday didnt know about it until we went to the theater to see Olympus Has Fallen and decided to see Joe instead.

The crowd seemed to like it, generated quite a bit of laughs and when it was over everyone clapped and cheered, a real crowd pleasing action movie if i've ever seen one.