Impact

Crowd Reports Thread

Iron Man 3

May 5, 12:15 AM, 30% full

Portage 16 IMAX, Portage, IN

Trailers (Arrived late; no reactions)

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - Literally walked in on the end of it.

Star Trek Into Darkness

The Lone Ranger

Slightly disappointed in some aspects of the movie, but mostly pleased. The crowd enjoyed, chuckling a quite a few funny bits and complete silence when it appeared

Pepper died.

My group and one other group stayed after the credits, and that caused the most laughter.

This film was quite well liked by the audience at my theater and it was sold out and especially females.

If anyone is confused about what the "DAT AVENGERS EFFECT " is.... its females liking the films. 

Posted Image

Iron Man 3 in 2D

8:05PM Friday, May 3rd

Regal Fenway 13 & RPX

Theater Capacity: 250 (95% full; Iron Man 3 was playing on 10 of the 13 screens at the theater Friday night, which might be unprecedented at this theater for a non-midnight-only screening)

Ticket Price: $12.00

Concessions: n/a

TRAILERS:

The Great Gatsby (featurette) - very cool featurette, included more of the music, and got a lot of the audience talking

Lone Ranger - a very spoiler-laden trailer but better trailer nonetheless; mediocre reaction from audience

Thor: The Dark World - excellent trailer, lots of talking

Wolverine - very good trailer, and (again) lots of talking... I wish Aronofsky could've directed this

After Earth - meh reaction

The Hangover 3 - definitely the funniest trailer they've released so far, loud laughs and lots of talking among the crowd

Fast And Furious 6 - another spoiler-loaded trailer; however, I think audiences eat that stuff up for these movies. Most people sounded psyched for this, except the guy next to me who said, "I'm interested, but I wouldn't pay to see it."

The Hunger Games' Catching Fire - I wasn't expecting this trailer for a while, but was impressed by it. The movie looks on par with the first, and audience reaction was good.

THE FILM:

Like very single other Avengers film, Iron Man 3 was a really fun time. Robert Downey Jr. continues to shine as the billionaire-genius-playboy-philanthropist who wittily uses his talents to conquer evil. Gwyneth Paltrow and Don Cheadle are great in their respective roles, but I would've really liked see more of Rebecca Hall's character in the story. Guy Pearce can cash a check for playing yet-again an non-intimidating villain; however, the film makes up for this after introducing Ben Kingsley's character--a character that I think could be discussed heavily in both film and political circles.

The movie reminded me a lot of True Lies for some reason. Geographically-speaking, the locations the story goes to are very similar in both movies--especially in the beginning and the end. If you've watched Iron Man 3 and haven't seen True Lies, watch it and let me know if you see what I mean (they're both great movies). Originally from South Florida, I was very excited to see that a third of the movie took place in Miami, even though I took issue with a particular continuity error there (a rare occurrence for a Marvel film). The special effects were sharp very sharp--I think technology has reached a point where the jaw-dropping events on screen appear believable to any cynics, even if they've been digitally constructed.

Our crowd laughed a lot during the film; that's one of the great things about the Iron Man character/franchise: it's equal parts comedic, action-packed, and dramatic. A few of the jokes are pretty dark humor and play like a Cyanide & Happiness cartoon, which maybe only resonated with the sick-minded people in the audience. There was no applause or anything at the end, but almost everybody sat in their seats through the credits to see the final tease at the very end of the movie. All-in-all, it's a good Iron Man entry (hopefully not the last). A fun way to start summer.

Experience - 24/30

Story/Writing - 16/20

Acting - 13/15

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - 15/15

Directing - 8/10

Music - 8/10

THE VERDICT: 84/100, B

Comments and feedback are always appreciated; thank you.

• Like 4

I still have no clue why they have the Paramount logo on all of the Marvel films still.

BTW-some people did leave when the credits started-not a lot but some. And I looked and went-have they not learned anything? As that internet meme said "One simply does not leave during the credits of a Marvel film"

I still have no clue why they have the Paramount logo on all of the Marvel films still.

BTW-some people did leave when the credits started-not a lot but some. And I looked and went-have they not learned anything? As that internet meme said "One simply does not leave during the credits of a Marvel film"

Iron Man 3 was the last one on the Paramount distribution deal. If you'll notice on the Thor 2 trailer, only the Marvel logo is present. No Disney castle.

Edited by Jay Beezy

How cool would it be if in the future it begins as the traditional Disney logo with the pan over the river to the castle, but then the sky turns a dark red or grey and all of the Marvel characters can be seen making their way into the Disney castle. Iron Man hovers over the river, the Hulk careens up the castle walls, Captain America racing across the drawbridge, and Thor at the steeple summoning lightning to brighten the dark sky.

Just a thought... sorry to get off topic.

• Like 5

How cool would it be if in the future it begins as the traditional Disney logo with the pan over the river to the castle, but then the sky turns a dark red or grey and all of the Marvel characters can be seen making their way into the Disney castle. Iron Man hovers over the river, the Hulk careens up the castle walls, Captain America racing across the drawbridge, and Thor at the steeple summoning lightning to brighten the dark sky.

Posted Image

Just a thought... sorry to get off topic.

I would faint from excitement and love

Posted Image

The Great Gatsby in 3D

9:10PM Friday, May 10th

AMC Boston Common 19 & Lie-MAX

Theater Capacity: 300 (99% full; the whole cineplex was so busy tonight, they opened the rear concession stand among the furthest auditoriums... I've never seen that in the 6 years I've been visiting this AMC!)

Ticket Price: $16.50

Concessions: n/a

TRAILERS:

Now You See Me - better trailer than their others; got lots of talking and a good audience reaction

Lone Ranger - meh trailer and some talking, including a "Looks decent" from one person and "doesn't look as good as the first trailer" from another.

Captain Phillips - Tom Hanks. Paul Greengrass. Somalian Pirates. YES! Looks awesome and received a warm reaction.

The Hangover 3 - very funny trailer, some howls from the audience laughing (that giraffe scene will be priceless); best reaction

Star Trek: into Darkness - 3D trailer, looked very sharp; some talking from crowd. Cannot wait to see this next week!

Epic - I hate the name of this movie; such a dumb trailer. However, in its defense it gets a huge laugh every time they finish showing the aging fruit fly.

Gravity - Such an amazing trailer, especially in 3D. The room erupted from silence to chatter when it ended.

THE FILM:

So much to love and yet so much to loathe. I have mixed feelings about this film. At times I found Gatsby poignant and a real celebration of the roaring 20's. At others I found it cold and a desecration that would leave F. Scott Fitzgerald spinning in his grave. As has been demonstrated by his other films, Baz Luhrmann believes the only way to make a film is make it a spectacular one adapted in such a way that brings new energy to old stories. For the record, I didn't care for Luhrmann's Strictly Ballroom, I was amused by Romeo + Juliet, and my world was rocked for all the right reasons by Moulin Rouge! Australia was good (certainly underrated). But Gatsby? Oy vey, I'll need to sit on this one for a while.

The cast was great--I don't have any complaints about the main actors. Leonardo DiCaprio gives the powerful performance the audience hopes for. Like Moulin Rouge's Satine, a good portion of The Great Gatsby sets up its star as this sparkling diamond or sorts and introduces him in the grandest of spectacles... it's funny because the whole audience giggled or smiled the moment Gatsby's face first appears: the star! Carey Mulligan is perfectly cast as Daisy Buchanan. These two have the best chemistry you'll see outside of a science lab.

One of the things that divided me the most on the film was the music. There are a couple scenes when modern songs revisited works well in the 1920's context ("Back to Black" and "Crazy In Love" were great); and featuring Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" was such a gesture of awesomeness... It's pretty obvious how heavily Woody Allen's Manhattan inspired Baz in his research on New York for this film (***If you haven't seen Manhattan, watch this clip: 

). The music that really upset me were several interjections of hip-hop that diminished the vibe from too many scenes. I swear every time I heard a hip-hop song there was a Moet & Chandon champaign bottle in frame (willing to bet money on this). What a blatant, trashy, modern sell-out! Another thing that upset me was the 3D quality: it's not worth the up charge. And lastly, there's a shot of a particular New York landmark that seemed so offensively animated, I sat there pondering why they didn't just shoot a quality exterior shot of the building today and put it in the picture.

The audience reactions throughout the film were pretty solid. Everyone laughed when expected too, and gasped when you least expect as well. While the stories are quite different, The Great Gatsby certainly tries to follow a story-telling structure similar to Moulin Rouge!; however, the core love triangle in Gatsby is far more complex and, thus, less resonant. Overall, I think the majority of people in the theater enjoyed it--I went to see this with five friends, and they all were satisfied with the picture. I'd compare it to the book if I remembered it well; I can say that as far as I recollect, East Egg and West Egg were exactly as I'd imagined them from reading the book. I have my quibbles with The Great Gatsby, but on the whole it's not a bad picture.

Experience - 23/30

Story/Writing - 18/20

Acting - 14/15

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - 10/15 (shouldn't have squandered the technology like they did... was expecting Hugo quality, but it fell short)

Directing - 7/10

Music - 5/10 (loved half of it, loathed half of it)

THE VERDICT: 77 / 100, B

Comments and feedback always appreciated. Thank you.

• Like 2

Star Trek Into Darkness 3D

O2 Cineworld 

Sky Superscreen- capacity 770 (i think)

Balcony VIP seating

VIP area was full, didn't look over the balcony to see the standard seats below but the amount of people that were coming out at the end suggested it was about 85% full at least. 

Trailers

After Earth- No reaction

Man of Steel- Chattering at the end, heard one guy say 'wow'. 

The Big Wedding- nothing

Special 6minute preview of Fast and Furious 6- crowd was into it.

The film:

Brilliant. Loved every second of it. Best of the year...so far. Crowd was into it, all laughed together at the funny parts. 3D was pretty good too. I'm not a fan of 3D unless its in HFR now but this was very impressive. 

crowd was dead silent at the 

death of Kirk. Was pretty emotional scene and you could sense the people in the auditorium was feeling it.

Special Effects were excellent and Benedict Cumberbatch killed it. Brilliant villain........miles better than that twisty Mandarin.

Overall a fantastic movie. I enjoyed it as much as the first. At some parts even better than part one

Edited by Omario

I saw that back in HS-I didn't see what the deal with it was. There was some nice sets though I will admit, but I thought the acting was bad. Moulin Rouge was decent, it was kind of trippy at the opening I remember. (I didn't think I like it but I did)

Posted Image

Mud

7:00PM Sunday, May 12th

Coolidge Corner Theater

Theater Capacity: 500 (25% full; plenty of people taking their moms to the movie)

Ticket Price: $9.25

Concessions: small popcorn, $4.00

TRAILERS:

The Way Way Back - I'm in love with this cast! Very funny trailer, got a good reaction from the audience.

Before Midnight - kind of wish I'd watched the other two Before films... this looks kind of good. Some talking from the crowd.

THE FILM:

In a word, Mud is a 'cool' movie, and not for the reasons you would probably describe other movies 'cool'. I hadn't seen so much as a trailer for this film before walking in tonight--I only knew that Matthew McConaughey was in it and that a couple friends of mine had requested I "report" on it for them. I'm so happy Mud was such a great movie, but even more so thrilled to have looked it up when I got home to confirm what I'd hoped: all of the critics agree about how good it is. To me, Mud felt like a cross among Winter's BoneVision QuestJuno, and Shawshank Redemption. That probably doesn't make any sense when reading it, but hopefully you'll understand once you've watched the film.

Matthew McConaughey may get top billing and he's quite good in the picture; however, the real star is wunderkind actor Tye Sheridan. I don't think a 14-year-old actor has carried a whole film on his back so amazingly since Christian Bale's breakthrough performance in Empire of the Sun. Sheridan is totally convincing as the innocent, young teenager who tries so hard to do right by the people around him and copes with the painful realities of the world around him physically, socially, and emotionally. Everyone else in the cast is great (Michael Shannon's character has some funny one-liners), but McConaughey and Sheridan really shine.

There were several memorable shots throughout the film that really captured the atmosphere of the movie's Arkansas location beautifully. The music selection was intriguing (*** I don't think I'll ever listen to a certain Beach Boys song the same way ever again); the editing was very slick; the story/writing seemed very original; and the direction was spot on. The audience seemed to have enjoyed Mud very much. The number of laughs, gasps, and sweet "Awes" were equal in measure and indicative of the engagement everyone felt for the movie. I cannot recommend this any more highly. Mud will leave you smiling when you walk out of the theater.

Experience - 29/30

Story/Writing - 19/20

Acting - 15/15

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - 13/15

Directing - 10/10

Music - 9/10

THE VERDICT: 95/100, A

Comments and feedback are always appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by Andy Stitzer 2
  • Like 3

Posted Image

Star Trek Into Darkness - 3D Dome

9:00PM Wednesday, May 15th

Arclight Hollywood & Cinerama Dome

Theater Capacity: 937 seats (98% full, but I'm pretty sure it did sell out judging from the reserved seating chart)

Ticket Price: $19.00

Concessions: Large popcorn, $7.25

TRAILERS:

Ender's Game - cool trailer; got lots of clapping from several people... and one boo (from my friend next to me)

Elysium - trailer looks beautiful on the big screen, got a silent reaction

Man of Steel 3D - cool, long-form trailer. There was lots of clapping and a lot of talking from the audience

World War Z - this was the best trailer they've released so far, albeit the movie still doesn't look that great. Got a lot of talking from the audience, though.

THE FILM:

Star Trek Into Darkness neither fell short of my expectations nor exceeded them--it met my expectations. The effects were worth the 3D surcharge, lens flares and all. Like Skyfall, I felt that Star Trek's story took many notes from The Dark Knight playbook. A movie about good guys fighting villains is only as strong as the villain they present. I never watched the TV series, but judging from the audience's reaction the Star Trek franchise has a very strong villain played with conviction by Benedict Cumberbatch. I allude to The Dark Knight playbook mainly because of the order events take place in the story. To the film's credit, though, they add a few layers of complexity to the mix that both challenge viewers to pay closer attention and also are presented simply enough that there are few questions/plot holes at the film's end. That being said, this movie had a single scene that left me rolling my eyes--the Spider-Man 3 nail in the coffin scene, if you will--and that nearly derailed my opinion of where this franchise was heading. While J.J. Abrams and company will largely be responsible for the film's inevitable success, I think Star Trek Into Darkness is most successful because of performances by Chris Pine and especially Zachary Quinto. I liked the movie, my friends liked the movie, and the excellent crowd reaction indicated that the crowd liked the movie as well. Go enjoy the movie! :-)

Experience - 30/30

Story/Writing - 17/20

Acting - 13/15

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - 14/15

Directing - 7/10

Music - 9/10 (LOVE Michael Giacchino)

THE VERDICT: 90/100, A

Comments and feedback are always appreciated. Thank you.

• Like 2