Impact

Crowd Reports Thread

Yeah, I might be that I never watched 30 Rock but I thought Jack McBrayer was a highlight of WIR. The only person's whose voice I recognized was Lynch, but thanks to the vocal performances of Silverman and especially Tudyk being out-there, I thought WIR all-in-all was a great example of celebrity voice-acting done right.

• Like 1

Crowd report for Saturday May 25th

Film: Star Trek: Into Darkness

Time: 14:15

Crowd: 70%

Cinema: Odeon, Norwich

Trailers:

Man of Steel - Not much reaction/Snyder always cuts a good trailer.

After Earth - Nothing

The World's End - Laughter

World War Z - Looking forward to this now that the buzz is picking up

Ender's game - Visuals look good but it will bomb

Despicable Me 2 - The minions got a lot of laughs

The Film:

I enjoyed it, upon first viewing i'd put it at a similar sort of level to the first film. I've never watched the original series or any of the films so i'm in no way a trekkie, although it seemed like the vast majority of the crowd at least had some knowledge of the original series. An older woman in front of me did a little fist pump when old Spock came on screen. Cumberbatch was very well suited in the villainous role, definitely a memorable nemesis which a lot of action films suffer from not having (coff Iron Man). Watching Star Trek always reminds me of how Zachary Quinto should be in more movies, his Spock stole the first movie and he holds his own again in this film. Pine is charming as Kirk and the rest of the supporting cast are also great.

Overall if you enjoyed the first film then seeing this one is a no brainer.

7/10

Epic - Crowd Report

Time: May 25, 2013, 2:20 PM

Not in 3D, theater was about 80% full. A lot of small kids under 4.

Trailers:

[*]Rio 2 ("meh" reaction, with the exception of a few adults in the audience who seemed excited) [*]Despicable Me 2 (a lot of chuckles from the audience) [*]Walking With Dinosaurs (very quiet reaction, a few "oohs" here and there) [*]Smurfs 2 (some laughs, some "mehs") [*]Turbo (some laughs) [*]For some reason, no Monsters University trailer was attached to our showing.

Reaction

I went with my sister, who ended up not liking it at all - I thought it was ok. I thought it wasn't too bad at the beginning, had a very boring middle, and the ending was fine. What bothered me the most was the rushed exposition, the voices that were far too familiar for my liking (and distracting), and lack of character development/depth. Some of the drama felt forced and uncomfortable at times. I only laughed twice, and both were at parts I found awkward. However, the film looks gorgeous, and the world the film took place in was very creative. I only wish the rest of the film was as well.

The theater I was in paid attention at the beginning and near the end during the last act, but during the middle many of the smaller kids got fussy and were either walking up and down the aisles or had to leave to go to the restroom. This was much different than my experience in my Croods theater last month, which had the same demographic but all the kids were glued to the movie. The kids watching Epic didn't seem to be all that engrossed in the film.

Overall, I give the film 5.5/10. Creative visually, but unsatisfactory in character or story development, with an odd blend of humor that didn't completely entertain both adults and kids.

Edited by Ladybug
  • Like 1

Posted Image

The Hangover: Part III

2:40PM Saturday, May 25th

Frank Theaters at Delray Marketplace

Theater Capacity: 230 (20% full; all families, including my own parents who NEVER go to the movies)

Ticket Price: $7.00

Concessions: bottled water, $3.75

TRAILERS:

Machete Kills - OMG!!!!! This teaser was perfect, but went completely over the heads of most people in the audience. Cannot wait for this sequel.

The World's End - I missed most of the trailer to get my dad popcorn, but my mom said it looked okay.

The Purge - good trailer, good reaction

Pacific Rim - I liked the trailer, got a weak reaction from crowd though.

Meet the Millers - Very, very good reaction. Funny trailer and lots of laughs from everyone in the room. One to watch...

THE FILM:

It's become something of a tradition that I watch these movies with my parents/family when these come out. Who would've expected The Hangover and Harold & Kumar franchises would bring us so close together? Anyway, we really enjoyed the film. It's definitely the least "funny" of the three Hangover films in terms of number of jokes throughout, but there are still your money's worth of belly laughs and outrageous things that happen during the movie.

Zach Galifianakis is still the star of the movie, but Ken Jeong's role--Leslie Chow--is really moved to the forefront this time around. Ed Helms and Bradley Cooper are still great, but mostly for Zach's Alan character to bounce off of. Story-wise, they took a risk meandering away from the formula that made the first two films such successes (I don't think the characters had more than one drink in the entire movie). Still, it's fun seeing the wolf pack back together and seeing so many familiar faces. I also liked the insight into Alan's psyche this time around... what a riot!

Again, people in our theater seemed to enjoy it, and if you enjoyed the first couple movies it really cannot hurt to watch this one as well. I certainly hope the City of Las Vegas helped finance these films because of all the generous publicity it gives to Sin City. Also, keep your eyes peeled for the director's cameo--that got a great laugh from a number of us in the movie theater.

Experience - 25/30

Story/Writing - 12/20

Acting - 10/15

Tech Specs (Editing, Effects, Cinematography) - 7/15 ( *This was the first time I could tell they used a green screen for a number of the Las Vegas scenes)

Directing - 7/10

Music - 6/10

THE VERDICT: 67/100, C

Okay I'm seeing more status on Facebook about seeing TH3 at the moment....Is Fast 6 for younger audiences then TH3 or something? :P

The other night I did see: Date night-should I see Gatsby or 42? The guy went to see 42.

Some girl did see a double feature of TGG and IM3.

• Like 1

^I should add though I'm not seeing what people think of it as it is mainly just check in's that they are going to see it.

(Most status updates today are about there kids being out of school, nice weather and Memorial weekend)

Star Trek Into Darkness in IMAX 3D

May 25, 2:50 PM, 30% full (very good for the time; the theater was packed when I went out for a refill around 4:10)

Portage 16 IMAX, Portage, IN

Trailers (no reaction)

Elysium

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Ender's Game

Man of Steel 3D Trailer - 3D looks meh on this, but I might have to see it just for the sound system.

Just as great as the first time, I caught a lot more too. Audience was pretty dead but there were still a few laughs. No applause at the end though... Still enjoyed it.

Fast Six 

9:20 pm Sold Out Toronto

Theater was really busy and they actually had custom car show at the theater as well.

Trailers

Meh

Movie had great response but 2-3 scenes made the audience go ???? 

However a lot of laughs and a lot of ohh crap with some action scenes especially with the epic clotheline attack from the rock. 

Hangover Part 3

Island Cinemas Newport Beach, 5/25, 7:00pm, Sold out

$17.00

Trailers:

We are the Millers - Good reaction

This is the End - No reaction

Man of Steel - Good reaction

Machete Kills - Lots of WTF?? reactions

Review:

Having seen the early reviews and the reaction on these forums, I went in to this movie with very low expectations. Surprisingly, I enjoyed the movie, it was not as bad as people are making it out to be. Definitely a step above Hangover 2. The only issue I had was that the character of Alan was made into a huge jerk in the movie. The audience reacted really well and there were laughs at all the right places. The post credits scene actually got applause from the audience.

^ $17.00 for a movie in non 3D non IMAX? :wtf: what a rip off!

It is supposed to be a Luxury theater, decided to go there to check it out. http://www.ocregister.com/articles/island-331931-festival-luxury.html

the 7-screen complex features a huge Italianate lobby, stadium seating with oversized, leather seats, 10-inch arm rests, wider aisles and generous legroom. The screens offer state-of-the-art Sony 4K projection, with resolution four times as vivid as the best high-definition televisions. Four of the theaters are equipped with the latest 3D technology.

Island Cinema is also offering a gourmet menu, with panini sandwiches, French quiche, smoked chicken quesadillas, turkey and vegetable wraps, and an assortment of domestic and imported beers and wines. Visitors may take their food and drinks to their seats, where they can enjoy in-theater dining.

It was good, but nowhere near as good as the dine-in theater at AMC Marina 6. That is THE best theater experience I have had in LA. The price of a ticket is worth it for the 180 degree reclining LA-Z Boy type seats that they have. The food is actually good and affordable. I would recommend Marina 6 to anyone in the LA area, definitely worth checking out at least once.

Edited by grim22