Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Might be being to optimistic lc6 high 7 with previews TDKR around 4m coming weekend

Would be great to open that high and it could but I think lower around £5M/£6M with previews. Hopefully TDKR has a bigger 3rd weekend than £4M though I don't mind too much as it will be doing a lot of mid-week business with holidays started now.

Some perspective on the Australian opening of Ted converted to £. Thu-Sun is the normal 4 day weekend.Preview Weekend(28/6-1/7)Fri-Sun of limited screenings-£2.95m. 2nd place behind IA4's opening weekend.1st Weekend(5/7-8/7)Normal 4 day weekend-£5.87m. 1st place with TASM in 2nd on £3.65m2nd Weekend(12/7-15/7)Normal 4 day weekend-£4.49m. 1st place again.Ted is now at AUD31.181m or £20.9m

I can see Ted in the UK matching the Australian success for sure.

Ted must be doing some strong business today.A cinema near me just added a second 20:20 showing! That almost NEVER happens, especially for a non-blockbuster, non-sequel film.TDKR is doing very well too. IMAX is sold out, and evening shows for tonight are really busy. Ice Age 4 was packed during the day today.

I saw 3 completely sold out shows in a row at a cinema near me. And others were basically full. Only a few scattered seats. The shows later tonight are also quite full.Bar TDKR and TA, that's probably the busiest I've seen any film this year. Pretty incredible.

Just saw Ted, pretty busy tonight!It was very funny so will have great WOM and will be in for a big gross. The biggest/best comedy of Summer 2012 for sure!

Edited by JCS

I'm sticking to my £5-6m five days but I think it could potentially go a bit higher, the biggest comedies this year were American Pie with its very big £6.3m five day opening and The Dictator's £4.9m five days both ended up doing £15-16m total.

Inbetweeners did £2.5m on its opening day and did £13.2m for its five day opening, I think Ted will likely do £2.5-3m from previews and £3-4m for its opening weekend which will beat American Pie's five day opening or at least match it. I think the lack of comedies will benefit Ted in the long run as last year there was three huge comedy hits like Bridesmaids, Hangover and Inbetweeners and a lot of smaller successes like Horrible Bosses, Bad Teacher. There's Keith Lemon the Film on the 24th August but I'm unsure whether it'll be successful as Keith Lemon works best in small doses, a film would be a struggle.

I think £7m five day looking very likely, would be great to see it crack double figures on its opening but it pretty difficult for a comedy to do that unless it's a sequel or based on a known title. I could see hitting at least £20m but depends on the competition, it got a week to itself next week with nothing out apart from Step Up 4 but it'll face Bourne, Brave and Expendables the week after.

And like I said, add in TDKR and we have a weds as mad as inbetweeners OD.

The Inbetweeners really took people by surprise, I thought it would do well but not as well as did. We know have copycat spin-off films with Keith Lemon in three weeks and next year is Alan Partridge the Movie.