Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

There's probably a lot of Australians over there for the olympics spreading the great WOM about Ted.When you're saying with previews do you mean just the wed/thu for Ted or were there screenings before Wednesday?

Humongous $14.3m opening for Ted. Incredibly impressive for a film that has to deal with all the Olympics hype at the moment, with no built in audience or 3d. Definitely the opening of the year.

I agree...

With no competition next week apart from Step Up 4, I think Ted will have a good drop, even a 50-60% drop would mean £4.5-5m, I doubt it'll increase. £30m+ total is very likely at this possible, £40m would need stellar legs and given the upcoming competition, it's unlikely,

I think its legs will tell where it falls, I reckon it'll match Hangover Part II or fall a little bit short. But £30m for an American comedy is still amazing, only The Hangover and Bridesmaids have done over £20m in the last few years but both have stellar legs,.

Why are the UK charts different on SD and BOM, both are showing different grosses? (I always use BOM, but weird to see SD showing different grosses).http://boxofficemojo.com/intl/uk/?yr=2012&wk=30&p=.htmhttp://boxoffice.screendaily.com/countries/9/charts/latest

it a nutshell it how the two are choosing to convert lc to $us, BOM is (at least in the past) really bad at doing it a lot of their conversion for like all times lists can be so far off in the stratosphere its not funny Edited by Rth
  • Like 1

It's probably due to exchange rate fluctuations when numbers are posted...

I guess so, they should the same daily/weekly exchange rate to avoid so much change though.

Humongous $14.3m opening for Ted. Incredibly impressive for a film that has to deal with all the Olympics hype at the moment, with no built in audience or 3d. Definitely the opening of the year.

Which works out around £9.1M OW for us UK folk... which is flippin' amazing!Should hit £30M+ now over the summer.

it a nutshell it how the two are choosing to convert lc to $us, BOM is (at least in the past) really bad at doing it a lot of their conversion for like all times lists can be so far off in the stratosphere its not funny

There should be a standard exchange rate that BO sites should use every week to keep the figures the same.I thought BOM was reliable, will scrutinise their conversions more now.Thanks for the info RTH!

There should be a standard exchange rate that BO sites should use every week to keep the figures the same.I thought BOM was reliable, will scrutinise their conversions more now.Thanks for the info RTH!

without going to far into it, its a total mishmash and yes I haven't looked at it closly in a while but when I was BOM coversions were bad.Internally studios/distributors generally convert based on a intercompany weighted average exchange rate for each financial month(so if a film plays jul/aug/sep it will have calculations based on three rates), when they give all the INTL numbers in $us its converted from $lc using the intercompany rate, now various sites may convert those numbers in $us to $lc but it may not match the $lc depending on how they chose to do it (some use the latest daily rate even on cume figures)now when each territory releases they weekend/week official top 10/20/50 etc its released in $lc from the various territories, then sites convert to $us(once again varies)so if hyperthetically if you looked at say TDKR in UK and say you look at what BOM has under its INTL total and you look at what they have it listed as in GBP then you go to say the weekend actuals report which is given in GDP(there maybe some territories where the data is given as $us) and look at TDKR that total may/may not match what say BOM or others have converted from $us or converted to $us Edited by Rth
  • Like 1