Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Disney’s behemoth adds $9.8m (£6.3m) to retain top spot and is already the year’s second biggest performer; Fox’s The Croods crosses £25m.

Following on from its mighty US debut of $174.1m (the second biggest of all time), Iron Man 3 continued to impress in the UK over the Bank Holiday weekend.

Disney’s latest Marvel outing added $9.8m (£6.3m) over Fri-Sun and has climbed to $40.7m (£26.2m) as of April 6, making it 2013’s second biggest performer behind Universal’s Les Misérables, which currently stands at $62.9m (£40.5m).

In terms of Marvel features, Iron Man 3 has overtaken every single previous feature, including its two predecessors, and only trails The Avengers which recorded a sterling $80.6m (£51.9m) last year. At the same stage in its run, The Avengers stood at $46.4m (£29.9m).

The arrival of Star Trek Into Darkness this Thursday could further dent Iron Man 3’s attempts to overhaul The Avengers.

Also for Disney, Chimpanzee debuted with a soft $77,000 (£49,317) from its 197 sites while Finding Nemo 3D enjoyed an 11% boost and stands at $1.8m (£1.1m).

Enjoying a sturdy holdover in its third weekend, Lionsgate’s Olympus Has Fallen dropped just 26% as it added $1m (£672,755) for $8.2m (£5.3m) to date.

Including Bank Holiday Monday, Vertigo’s All Stars opened with $1.2m (£797,228) from its 413 sites. Ahead of its release, the distributor toured the film, visiting dance schools and youth centres across the country.

Rounding off this week’s top five was Universal’s Oblivionwith an estimated $621,000 (£400,000) weekend, which saw it break the £10m barrier and stand at $15.8m (£10.2m) after four weeks in play.

Thanks to Bank Holiday Monday, Fox’s The Croodscrossed the £25m mark and is up to $39m (£25.1m) following a $609,000 (£392,370) weekend.

Also for Fox, I’m So Excited debuted with a healthy $483,000 (£310,909), including previews, from its 87 sites for the week’s second highest site average at $5,552 (£3,574). That result marks director Pedro Almodóvar’s third-best UK opening behind Volver ($673,000/£433,283) and The Skin I Live In ($566,000/£364,109).

Further studio results to come

IM3 had a brilliant bank holiday. 

Great for The Croods too! Will hit $40m. Been an amazing run for it.

STID on Thursday is going to hit IM3 hard, but it's heading for at least $55m, and there's still a chance it hits $60m. By the end of the weekend, it should be somewhere between $47-50m.

Star Trek made £6m back in 2009, and went on to gross over £21m. I'm expecting a 4-day of around £9m ($14m), and a total around £30m ($46.5m) this time, but it could go higher. $50m+ is definitely a possibility if it really breaks out.

STID on Thursday is going to hit IM3 hard, but it's heading for at least $55m, and there's still a chance it hits $60m. By the end of the weekend, it should be somewhere between $47-50m.Star Trek made £6m back in 2009, and went on to gross over £21m. I'm expecting a 4-day of around £9m ($14m), and a total around £30m ($46.5m) this time, but it could go higher. $50m+ is definitely a possibility if it really breaks out.

Don't forget, ST09 was also a 4 Day opening. I can see a possible £10m if it isn't too warm.

IM3 monday over 1.6m, tues should be just over 700k top 5 theatres currently running IM3 Vue Westfield 17 London, CW Sheffield 20, Vue Westfield Stratford 17, Imax Southbank, CW Glasgow 18

Anything for Aus?

IM3 monday over 1.6m, tues should be just over 700k top 5 theatres currently running IM3 Vue Westfield 17 London, CW Sheffield 20, Vue Westfield Stratford 17, Imax Southbank, CW Glasgow 18

Where did Odeon Leceister Square chart? Quite interesting that the VUE Westfield does better than the VUE in Stratford but I guess in a better location. Not surprised that Cineworld Sheffield and Glasgow are the top two non London cinemas.