Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Fox’s 3D animation holds onto top spot for third consecutive weekend; Vertigo’s Spring Breakers debuts with $528,000 (£345,153) from 181 sites.

With little direct competition opening, The Croodsrecorded a comfortable third straight weekend as the UK’s number one film.

Fox’s 3D animation added a confirmed $3.6m (£2.3m) to climb to $27.1m (£17.7m) in the UK, surpassing How to Train your Dragon’s $26.6m (£17.4m) UK haul in the process. The Croods is now the third biggest grosser of 2013 to date, behind Les Misérables and Wreck-It Ralph. Fox estimates that The Croods will end up in the £25m-£30m bracket.

Only Les Misérables has gone four consecutive weeks as the UK’s number one this year and with the arrival ofOblivion this week, it seems unlikely that The Croods will be able to repeat the feat of Tom Hooper’s musical.

Also for Fox, Trance added a $1.1m (£722,027) for $5.1m (£3.3m) to date, to drop to fourth. It’s worth noting that on Fri-Sun alone, Trance would still be third.

Holding firm in second was Paramount’s G.I. Joe: Retaliation as it battled its way to an additional $1.6m (£1.06m).

The 3D sequel is now up to $8.5m (£5.6m) in the UK, just under £1m away from G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra’s final UK tally of $9.9m (£6.5m) after only two weeks in play.

Momentum’s Dark Skies was this week’s highest new entry as it opened on 386 sites for a solid $1.6m (£1.03m) debut, including previews of $494,000 (£323,289). That already marks director Scott Stewart’s best-ever UK performance, overtaking Priest’s final tally of $1.4m (£937,575).

Also for Momentum, In the House added $186,000 (£121,243) from 67 sites for $799,000 (£521,828) to date.

Rounding off this week’s top five was Warner Bros’ Jack the Giant Slayer with a $1.1m (£705,122) weekend. That puts Bryan Singer’s 3D fantasy at $9.1m (£5.9m) after three weeks in the UK.

Disney’s Oz the Great and Powerful stayed in sixth thanks to a $879,000 (£574,102) gross from its 533 sites, propelling it to $20.9m (£13.7m) after five weeks. 3D has accounted for $11.3m (£7.3m) of its overall gross to date.

Also for Disney, The Odd Life of Timothy Green debuted with $412,000 (£269,465) from its 281 sites. That’s down on director Peter Hedges’ previous UK release, Dan in Real Life, which grossed $924,000 (£603,860) from 348 sites on its way to $2.4m (£1.6m) overall.

Finding Nemo 3D stands at $1.2m (£801,588) after ten days in play.

Harmony Korine’s much-talked about Spring Breakersscored a $528,000 (£345,153) debut in the UK, including $14,000 (£8,956) from four previews, from its 181 sites through Vertigo Films for a strong site average of $2,920 (£1,907).

The debut means Spring Breakers is already Korine’s highest-ever grosser in the UK - unsurprising given that Korine’s previous widest release belonged to Gummo’s four sites - and it also ranks as the sixth biggest UK opening for Vertigo, narrowly behind Monsters’ $534,000 (£348,577) debut from 164 sites.

This week sees saturation releases for Universal’s Oblivion(opens April 10), StudioCanal’s The Place Beyond the Pinesand Entertainment’s Scary Movie 5. Metrodome’s The Gatekeepers and Eureka’s Simon Killer are among the films receiving a limited release.

The Croods is an unexpected massive success. I wasn't expecting more than £15m.

Will be very interesting to see the IM3 vs ST2 battle. I think both will do over $50m. I'm going for Star Trek beating it right now. There's also Fast and Furious 6 which could do over $40m. May's looking like a big month

Edited by Heretic

The UK was really the only market overseas where Star Trek did well with $35m. I expect this one to do over $50m for sure.

Star Trek has always been more popular in the UK. The first film beat Wolverine and Angels and Demons in total so clearly the demand will be there, you also have in May, The Great Gatsby, Fast and Furious 6, The Hangover part III and Epic. June is looking good with After Earth, Man of Steel, World War Z and of course Despicable Me 2