Eric Atreides

Missing | January 20, 2023 | A sequel to Searching | Sony/Stage 6

https://deadline.com/2019/08/searching-sequel-john-cho-sony-stage-6-films-aneesh-chaganty-1202667871/

EXCLUSIVE: You don’t see that many films acquired at Sundance getting sequels, but Sony’s Stage 6 Films is working on a second installment of Searching, the thriller about a father’s desperate search for his missing daughter that Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions bought for $5 million in a world rights deal and watched become a breakout hit that grossed $75 million worldwide. It was released by Sony’s Stage 6 Films and Screen Gems.

I mean...okay?

This was actually pretty good! Doesn't have the novelty that Searching had 4.5 years ago, but I would say it is just as enjoyable. Good lead performance, lots of twists (varying degrees of effectiveness, but quite a few that I didn't see coming), and while it sometimes veers into the "book club thriller" genre, it's a really well-put together and very fun ride.

Man, January has been pretty solid.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DAJK said:

This was actually pretty good! Doesn't have the novelty that Searching had 4.5 years ago, but I would say it is just as enjoyable. Good lead performance, lots of twists (varying degrees of effectiveness, but quite a few that I didn't see coming), and while it sometimes veers into the "book club thriller" genre, it's a really well-put together and very fun ride.

Man, January has been pretty solid.

Just coming here to say pretty much this. Saw it last night spur of the moment.

I'm amazed at what they're able to do with a movie that is nothing but screen footage, and how intense it can be. Sometimes less is more is so true in movies. It's the reason that Blair Witch Project and Paranormal Activity were so effective - atmosphere and "less is more".

• Like 1

Just now, Verrows said:

Just coming here to say pretty much this. Saw it last night spur of the moment.

I'm amazed at what they're able to do with a movie that is nothing but screen footage, and how intense it can be. Sometimes less is more is so true in movies. It's the reason that Blair Witch Project and Paranormal Activity were so effective - atmosphere and "less is more".

Ugh,.I keep pressing quote and not edit.

Anyway, I'll say this as an actual endorsement of the film and not a complaint. This movie stressed me out! I say it's an endorsement because I suppose it says something about how tense it is and how effectively it sweeps the audience into the fray of what's going on. It moves at a furious pace once it really gets going. For someone like me who suffers from serious PTSD and other stress disorders, it was probably all a little much for me which is why I had a little episode. ☹️

But again, I say all this as an endorsement of how effective the movie was. How o reacted to it was my own thing.

This was excellent..I found it to be better than Searching. Very engaging and couple of twists were quite unexpected. Only minor complaint I'd say was that ending was bit dragged but other than that, it was easily one of the best movies I've seen recently

Edited by upriser7
  • Like 1

Yeh this was excellent! It had a delayed release here in the UK for some reason. 

I actually think it’s a better film than Searching. And it was more inventive with why there was a camera. 

Fast paced, very tense and surprising screen-time thriller.