Xillix

Xillix' Not Nice Y6 Reviews

Okay so here's the thing.

Does anyone actually WANT to request one of their own movies to be reviewed? Or is everyone just dreading it?

If people do then I'll do the requests first. One per user, only their own movies. Otherwise I'll just go in order.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Xillix said:

Okay so here's the thing.

Does anyone actually WANT to request one of their own movies to be reviewed? Or is everyone just dreading it?

If people do then I'll do the requests first. One per user, only their own movies. Otherwise I'll just go in order.

Personally, while I like both the request method and the ordered method, my vote would go to the ordered method.

I don’t want @4815162342 to be only. If @Xillix is murdering films and only if Numbers is serious. I’m giving Xillix a dealer’s choice between Thirsty, my Olivia Wilde coming of age story tackling nude culture or Pete Docter’s Gateways, an animated film with multiple animation styles which tells the story of an orphan tryin to find her father amongst multiple universes.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Xillix said:

If you're serious I really will review it first lol

I mean I know you are going to get to it eventually and I figure I know what your reaction will be, so you might as well get it out of the way now.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

So my requests are:

Pokémon: The Cinnabar Conspiracy

Thirsty

In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

Spark: A Hero's Promise

Children of Eden

Borrasca

I decided it's more fair if I randomize the order. I'll roll and announce when I'm ready to begin reading each next film. So you'll be kept in suspense. Mwahahaha and such.

• Like 1

Spark: A Hero's Promise

An ambitious conclusion to the space opera quadrilogy, and one that easily could have been split into two films of its own, A Hero's Promise definitely doesn't come up short in terms of inventive, exhilarating action scenes. Unfortunately, it's hampered by a fair number of missteps. It feels overstuffed, primarily in the first half, and introduces a few new characters to the already-enormous cast without giving them much if any chance to develop. There are also a lot of conveniences and contrivances that string the plot along in a somewhat hamfisted fashion. Editing mishaps contribute to a recurring sense of confusion as well, with several abrupt transitions glossing over important plot points. Character motivations are not always convincing, with the villain's moral dilemmas often not tying into her behavior in any given scene very well. The antagonists have a recurring habit of dropping the ball quite spectacularly at climactic points.

All that said, there are plenty of thrills, laughs, and moments of crowd-pleasing fanservice. The main characters are handled generally well, with several arcs and backstories nicely wrapped up. There are a lot of moving parts to the narrative, which tend to clash, but the core elements remain strong and compelling even when the subplots threaten to crowd them out. The ultimate climax works, more or less, on an emotional level, but does come across as a bit too corny and clichéd for its own good.

Fans of the series - which, judging from the box office numbers, is just about everyone - will probably be more or less pleased with the way things work out in the end. Unfortunately the road to the ending is especially uneven in this final stretch, which is probably the weakest overall film in the franchise. It should still do huge business, though, and there's nothing so bad about it as to cause an enormous Game of Thrones style fan backlash.

BOT-Tag-3-half-stars.png

Series ranking:
1. Homeward
2. Beyond the Sky
3. Rising
4. A Hero's Promise

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

6 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

Frankly considering the Green Lantern and potentially OPM parallels of overstuffing, I was expecting much worse than the same score as Rising.

Felt nowhere near as stuffed as either of those to me. Admittedly might have had something to do with it being fourth in a series and continuing a lot of existing threads.

Rolled again... Pokémon 3 is up next.

• Like 1