TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

I think Lady Gaga will be like Madonna...although a few sucesses, she never will become a huge A list movie star.

But what happens with Joker 2 will have no impact on her  musical career andymore then the Cats debacle hurt Taylor Swift.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Truly shocking that 18-35 male demo doesn’t care at all about musicals. Truly shocking, how did WB not see this coming??? 

This should then be compared to Lala Land and maybe Wonka in the tracking thread. The CBM comparison doesn't make sense, Maybe things will look better

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I am unfortunately not able to track anymore. its presales are just terrible. Not sure if DCEU being moribund is responsible. We will know for sure if Superman also disappoints.   

I’ve been saying that the new DCU was gonna have to deal with the after effects of the DCEU but I honestly thought this would be excluded cause of the clear separation and Batman being its own media franchise like Spider-Man to Marvel. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Maggie said:

The disinterest is just baffling

People are turned off by this being a musical is the most likely explanation.

I don't agree with it..I am really curious to see what Phillips does with the idea... but just the post in this thread show a lot of people just don't like the idea.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

La la land is a CBM now??  La la land also isn’t a sequel so two entirely different demos

It's CBM in name only, even more so than Part 1. I'm pretty sure plenty of nerds saw La La Land, but suddenly musical is a big issue for them, even though part 1 already had those elements. I don't get it, it's same people who cheered Joker dancing on stairs.

Edited by TomThomas

16 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Then who watched La La Land? Or was it kids movie?

I am betting La La Land got it money from demos other then the 18 to 35 male demo.

Guy, you are getting desperate.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

It's CBM in name only, even more so than Part 1. I'm pretty sure plenty of nerds saw La La Land, but suddenly musical is a big issue for them, even though part 1 already had those elements. I don't get it, it's same people who cheered Joker dancing on stairs.

A one minute sequence is one thing. several full scale MGM musical classic era musical numbers are somethng else.

This is not rocket science.

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

A one minute sequence is one thing. several full scale MGM musical classic era musical numbers are somethng else.

This is not rocket science.

Yeah, but it's not just one scene. He was dancing and singing for kids in hospital with musical-like imagery. He was singing a bit in the final scene. Plus extra dance scenes here and there. So it's not even a radical departure from the first movie, just more of what was already there.

Edited by TomThomas

52 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I am unfortunately not able to track anymore. its presales are just terrible. Not sure if DCEU being moribund is responsible. We will know for sure if Superman also disappoints.   

I know someone insisted in the tracking thread that Deadpool & Wolverine shows CBM fatigue isn't a thing but I disagree. I think the genre as a whole is dying out and one film that very much relied on bringing back past actors isn't imo a sign that the genre's fine.

• Like 5

Removing the fantasy out of a family franchise in order to make Batman movies for adults was one of the first signs of the end days and I will absolutely die on this hill.

I thought they may have injected some fantasy back into the series with the musical aspect but the reviews make it sound like they didn’t go all-in.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, AJG said:

Removing the fantasy out of a family franchise in order to make Batman movies for adults was one of the first signs of the end days and I will absolutely die on this hill.

I thought they may have injected some fantasy back into the series with the musical aspect but the reviews make it sound like they didn’t go all-in.

I think the Nolan Batman films did well enough with a grounded, gritty background with not much fantasy, only a little light sci fi.

Batman works best when he is grounded.

Edited by dudalb

27 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I know someone insisted in the tracking thread that Deadpool & Wolverine shows CBM fatigue isn't a thing but I disagree. I think the genre as a whole is dying out and one film that very much relied on bringing back past actors isn't imo a sign that the genre's fine.

Honestly, I think this shows more just how unappealing a brand DC is right now than anything else. 

I'm not gonna act like comic-book movies as a whole are in the best shape right now, but one of the biggest problems (besides oversaturation) is just the quality of the movies. DC has fared so much worse than Marvel in this regard. Their last five movies (Black Adam to Aquaman 2) have all been either disappointments at best or massive disasters at worst. 

Also, unlike Deadpool and Wolverine (which I think was the perfect movie to maybe keep some people onboard the Marvel train for a little bit longer), Joker 2 is not that kind of comic-book movie. Even though it's perfectly standalone and set in its own universe, the brand has been tarnished so much (thanks to multiple box office failures and a restructuring of the whole universe) to the point that it just makes whatever they do next seem unappealing. Maybe I'm wrong, but even people who think it's soley because of the movie itself why audiences aren't interested should consider the state of not just comic-book movies but the DC brand as a whole right now. 

Say what you will about Deadpool and Wolverine, but it was something that Marvel desperately needed after the massive failure of The Marvels. What DC needed after a string of flops was The Batman II because that was a sequel that had everything Joker Folie à Deux didn't have. Genuine excitement for a sequel and to see more of this universe. 

Edited by Ryan C

52 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Actually I'd guess that a lot of nerds did not in fact watch La La Land. Plus La La Land grossed less than half of what the first Joker did. A La La Land performance here would not be good for this movie.