TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

13 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

EmpireCity said $200M+ for Deadpool after the first day of sales.

Empire gasses up every release, the consensus was $170m and low $30s previews initially.

13 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

No Way Home was called as a potential $250M movie a couple days after tickets went on sale

You said first few hours, not days.

Just now, Bob Train said:

Empire gasses up every release, the consensus was $170m and low $30s previews initially.

You said first few hours, not days.

Ok, fair I guess. But a 23% increase won't save Joker given these current sales.

Actually NWH tickets went on sale Nov 29 2021 and that Reddit post is on Nov 29 2021, so from the first few hours beating TFA weekend was on the table

It would be funny if the actual audience reception won't be anywhere near as bad as people think. Twin Peaks: Season 3 was a radical departure, troll job and huge middle finger to fans of first 2 seasons, but Lynch fans still ate it up and think it's the best thing ever. Sometimes you can't alienate audience no matter what you do.

Edited by TomThomas

3 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

They appeal to... adults? And since first Joker appealed to non-comic book crowd, it might appeal to the same adults.

Yep because all adults have the same interests sure and if you think the Joker core audience is the Gladiator than wow. I don't know what your deal is with Gladiator 2 but whatever. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Yep because all adults have the same interests sure and if you think the Joker core audience is the Gladiator than wow. I don't know what your deal is with Gladiator 2 but whatever. 

So you think adults are drastically different in what they like, but nerds are the same?

11 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

So you think adults are drastically different in what they like, but nerds are the same?

OKay.... once again joker being met with indifference is not in any way a guarantee that Gladiator 2 will also like at all but carry on.

The first Joker also had a large incel fanbase and they could relate to Joker being a loser, alone, and had no woman except an imaginary woman.

In the sequel Joker is apparently a celebrity with Gaga as a girlfriend. They can't relate anymore and may not be as interested.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I know this isn't exactly related to Joker 2, but I would not be surprised if some people online try to do what they did with The Flash last year and try to say "Don't worry guys, I promise you that Joker 2 is guaranteed to hit $100M on opening weekend."

Don't believe me, I found this tweet while looking back at the pre-sale thread for last summer (and I even remember seeing it when I was originally on Twitter) saying that The Flash was gonna open big and that it could go for $100M in its opening. 

Even today, I'll still never forgive this guy for trying to make me think that The Flash would do much better than it ended up doing. Though it's honestly pretty hilarious looking back at it now. 

• Haha 2

The first joker is my pick of best movie in 2019. Given the leggy run and unusual great turnout from those regions like Europe and Japan which generally not really into CBM, I am sure pretty of them out that like the movie.

But I never in my mind hoping a sequel. Until now I am not excited for the movie, and I am already one of the biggest defender of the 2019 joker.

Just now, TheFlatLannister said:

Deadpool 3

maybe a $170M-$212M jump 

What's your prediction for Joker 2 based on the sales OW/DOM/WW. Even if you're not sure just gimme something. You WERE correct when you said this would drop from Joker 1 WW, I myself was confident that this would do above Joker 1 

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I think they really thought Gaga was enough of a hook to ensure the grosses wouldn't fall, and to be fair, there was a lot of buzz surrounding her casting when she was first announced. They just weren't able to sustain that momentum up until the release of the movie, it seems. Like, are even her devoted stans excited for this? Felt like there was more passion from her fan base when House of Gucci was being released. But even if this fails, no one's gonna pin it on her, WB and Todd Phillips will be the ones who receive the overwhelming majority of the blame.

Probably because this is a sequel to a movie that didn't really appeal to her fanbase. Joker was heavily male skewed (62%) while Gaga's fanbase is mostly female I think. If this was the first movie we would see an impact but for a sequel it's hard to tell because a lot of people have already decided that this is not their thing. Some could be interested on it being a musical and Gaga, but not enough to buy the ticket rather than wait for streaming. 

4 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

What's your prediction for Joker 2 based on the sales OW/DOM/WW. Even if you're not sure just gimme something. You WERE correct when you said this would drop from Joker 1 WW, I myself was confident that this would do above Joker 1 

MTC1 data is really bad. I will have my Florida numbers tomorrow so I will give a prediction then.