Eric Deetz

A Complete Unknown | Christmas Day 2024 | James Mangold directs | TIMOTHEE CHALAMET IS BOB DYLAN | Cinema has been saved!!!!

Don't see why this can't be out for Christmas in a weak Oscar year, especially with Smashing Machine projected to make it with a later start. Year could use it.

• Like 1

I wonder which other of the big folk singers of the 60's will be portrayed in this movie? I suspect at least a reference to Peter Paul and Mary who are sort of forgotten today but might have been the most popular with general audiences of all the folk singers.  Certainly in terms of sales they were bigger then Joan Baez and Seeger.

I'm assuming they're holding it off until the awards season next year. Seems like it'd be too much of a rush job to have it ready for a 24 release. Nightbitch and A Real Pain seem to be what Searchlight's putting their money on this year.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

On 6/11/2024 at 7:48 PM, Eric S'ennui said:

THEY ARE SO PERFECT

Looks as if Fanning is playing Dylans' first girlfriend after he got to New York, the one he is seen walking with on the cover of his second album..and the one that really made his reputation...."Freewheeling Bob Dylan".

Interesting to see what indicents from Dylan's life they show. Pretty sure his break with the Folk Music "Establishement" will be one of them. His being booed off the stage on the 1965 Newport Folk Festival when he walked on with an electric guitar is simply too cinematic scene to pass up.

And, yes, the Folk Music gurus really were that closed minded despite their pose of being rebels. Dylan made on of his classic comments about that: "Most conformist people on earth are Non Coformist when you don't confrom with their idea of Non comformity".

I also sort of expect Taylor Swift rumors to pop up, since Swift had made clear here huge admiration for DYlan, and says he has been one of her biggest influences.

12 hours ago, dudalb said:

Pretty sure his break with the Folk Music "Establishement" will be one of them. His being booed off the stage on the 1965 Newport Folk Festival when he walked on with an electric guitar is simply too cinematic scene to pass up.

The film's original title was Going Electric, and I remember the initial articles announcing the project mentioned the film would focus on the backlash to Dylan using electric guitars, so I think the Newport festival's a given.

26 minutes ago, Eric Twister said:

Wait...is it...is it coming out this year? Is it? Please tell me it is! Because a trailer releasing soon should mean it's coming this year, right?

Seems pretty obvious at this point, yes. Filming wrapped few weeks ago and this isn't a $200M tentpole that would require months of VFX work. I'm guessing it's going for an AFI debut followed by a December release, Searchlight's only other contender this year is A Real Pain.

• Like 1