Eric Prime

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

1 minute ago, upriser7 said:

Not sure if today was the best timing to release the new trailer with this Taylor Swift's Eras thing all over the news

This isn't a new trailer, but it will definitely confuse people that this is the final official trailer, like you're confused.

Moderation

We're not doing this "short runtime means bad movie" stuff anymore. It's leading to nothing but toxic fights that aren't going anywhere and we have zero reason to believe that this will result in a bad movie. And no, I don't care what "evidence" you have. Please talk about something else, or threadbans will occur.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

Not sure if today was the best timing to release the new trailer with this Taylor Swift's Eras thing all over the news

It's not a trailer, and again I really don't think a concert movie is going to impact anything as much as everyone thinks it does. They do decent money for two weeks (usually because they open on or right before a holiday) and then in the third week when literally anything else releases the legs buckle.

Edited by SpiderByte

6 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Swift concert will be a one weekend wonder like every concert release, and will vanish after the first weekend.

It will be quite the wonder though, might even have some spillover business, but I really don’t see how that is supposed to affect this a month later as well

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

This is why when people say "there's no way the movie can catch people up on Monica and Kamala" I don't get it. This took literally barely two minutes, and half of it was Carol!

Edit: in fact, looking more closely, this includes the scenes in the movie of them catching up!

Man this looks so delightful. Iman is such a future star.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

It's not a trailer, and again I really don't think a concert movie is going to impact anything as much as everyone thinks it does. They do decent money for two weeks (usually because they open on or right before a holiday) and then in the third week when literally anything else releases the legs buckle.

I am talking about movie release weelemd...I am talking about releasing this trailer today when social media has been totally filled with the Eras tour concert buzz. 

4 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

I am talking about movie release weelemd...I am talking about releasing this trailer today when social media has been totally filled with the Eras tour concert buzz. 

They're going to release a million promotional pieces like this between now and November 10th. Each individual one doesn't matter that much.

I do think releasing this does mean they plan on keeping the current date. Promotion wise, my guess is they're hoping for a September end to the strike (I don't think it's till at least October tho) and then just go blitz everything, so moving it up a decreases the chances of them doing press before the strike ends.

This looks good, I don't get all of the hate this movie is getting. Could it be another Love and Thunder? Sure, but it can also be a great movie. I feel like people are hating this movie way to much. 

However, I will say that releasing one week before Hunger Games is a bad idea, it should move to the November 3rd date. It just doesn't make sense, same with Trolls 3 and Wish releasing the same weekend.

10 minutes ago, AN9815 said:

This looks good, I don't get all of the hate this movie is getting. Could it be another Love and Thunder? Sure, but it can also be a great movie. I feel like people are hating this movie way to much. 

However, I will say that releasing one week before Hunger Games is a bad idea, it should move to the November 3rd date. It just doesn't make sense, same with Trolls 3 and Wish releasing the same weekend.

Everyone want to release their movies close to Thanksgiving, so no one is moving.

Actors unable to promote their movies doesn't matter at all for this movie. People watch it because it's MCU more than anything else. That's only a relevant factor for movies with star-studded casts. Anyways I think OW should be over $100m unless it collapses.

1 minute ago, Bob Train said:

Actors unable to promote their movies doesn't matter at all for this movie. People watch it because it's MCU more than anything else. That's only a relevant factor for movies with star-studded casts. Anyways I think OW should be over $100m unless it collapses.

I agree that it doesn't rely on it in the way that say Dune would, but I think they'll really want to play up the three main leads specifically for press together.

2 minutes ago, Willowra said:

Everyone want to release their movies close to Thanksgiving, so no one is moving.

The first week of November used to be a prime MCU date (Thor movies, Doctor Strange, etc.), until they decided to release Wakanda Forever second week of November for some reason.

3 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

The first week of November used to be a prime MCU date (Thor movies, Doctor Strange, etc.), until they decided to release Wakanda Forever second week of November for some reason.

Female driven movie that's why, studios like to release female lead movies close to Thanksgiving.

It seems like something will move into that November 3rd slot, but the other question is whether or not Hunger Games gets pushed. If that happens, Disney is probably happy to keep The Marvels in its slot and a little closer to that Thanksgiving money, but if HG stays, you'd think they'd want that extra week of IMAX and PLFs.