The Wild Eric

Star Wars: The Bad Batch | Disney+ | Final Season premieres February 21st!

This was a decent episode but a bit of a step down after 4 very strong ones in a row. Am interested to see what happens when the Batch gets back to Cid -- I think we're overdue for a shakeup in the status quo there, and she essentially abandoned them on the planet. I'll be disappointed if things go back to normal from here.

• Like 1

Is that...

No... it couldn't be... 

Spoiler

Is that a zillo beast?!?! 

*a few minutes later*

Blaster proof?!?

Feeds on energy?!?!

IT IS A ZILLO BEAST!!!!!!! 

CONFIRMED SECONDS LATER!!!!!

RETURN OF THE ZILLO BEAST FINALLY!!!!! :ohmygod:

• Like 1
  • Astonished 2

Wow.

WOW WOW WOW WOW

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOOWOWWOW

I DEFY *ANY* fan of animated SW to say ONE BAD WORD about this episode!

WOWOWOWOOWOWOWOWOW!!!

Spoiler

BTW, instant man crush on Dr. Hemlock.

What a deliciously evil character he is gonna be.

BTW:  Did I say "WOW"?  Just wanted to check.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yep, loved the episode. Things are really picking up steam now.

Spoiler

I was already spoiled on the Zillo beast returning, but was still awesome to see. And am very interested in where the overall plot seems to be headed now, Hemlock seems like he could be a fun villain. 

Was a tough choice between watching this or Mando first lol. 

• Like 1

Seriously.  Weightiest episode of animated SW ever and in the conversation for some of the weightiest episodes of Star Wars, ever.

Well, outside the novels (and some of the comics). 

Spoiler

Having a hard time thinking of one that comes close to this one.  Just for sheer despair this kicks even Siege of Mandalore in the teeth and leaves it for dead.  Even things like ESB still had a sense of High Adventure (if at the low point for teh heroes). 

I'm not one for GrimDark as it's really not my cup of tea.  Usually, for me at least, it either gets too close to WAAAAAAANGST or Audience Induced Apathy.  Just not really what I'm looking for in entertainment, normally.

So when I'm singing the praises of a Grim, Bleak, Desolate episode....  Yeah, it was good.

Really want to see it back to back with the last Crosshair episode, as I think it'll flow very well with Crosshair's character progression in regards to his discussions with Cody.  Hell, throw in the season finale last year as well.

Kinda ironic that it took a cold, unforgiving, bleak planet full of ice to break through Crosshair's mental hangups.  But, then again, VERY FITTING that a cold, remorseless, persona broke through in such a place.

I think the thread for me is Crosshair's need... no, yearning for Stability and Order.  And, yes, Loyalty (I recall that being a BIG hangup in the finale last season when he was bitter that the rest of his squad didn't come after him).  He was loyal to the Empire, who he thought was bringing stability and much needed order.  For them to casually and needlessly treat his brothers like so much disposable garbage?  Again?  Hell, treated worse than a useful tool?

Well, goes to show that one can't take all of the sense of Brotherhood out of even a clone like Crosshair.

EDITED AS TO NOT TRIPLE POST:

Spoiler

Really want to see it back to back with the last Crosshair episode, as I think it'll flow very well with Crosshair's character progression in regards to his discussions with Cody.  Hell, throw in the season finale last year as well.

Just checked it out, and I was right:

Cody: Tell me something, Crosshair.  This new Empire... Are we making the Galaxy better?

Crosshair:  We're soldiers.  We do what needs to be done.

Cody [reflective]: Well, you know what makes us different from battle droids?

*turns and looks Crosshair in the eyes*

Cody: We make our own decisions.  Our own choices.

Cody [walking by]: And we have to live with them too.

At the time the episode aired, I said that left a mark on Crosshair and that he didn't like it one bit.  I think this episode showed just how crucial that prior one was with Cody, as even though Crosshair did the villainous deed of killing the rebel hostage taker after Cody had tried to calm things down, it was still an important catalyst in Crosshair's character development.   Was him seeing that this new Empire wasn't what he thought it would be and that one day he might have to make a hard choice.  

Now we see just what happens as a result of Crosshair making a choice.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

From seeing the rather tepid fan reaction I thought this would be a relatively dull episode like Infested in the same slot last season, but that was quite fun. I don't think the animation in the show has ever looked that beautiful and it was nice seeing the Batch get to chill a bit. 

• Like 1

That worked supremely well as a three-parter, BTW.  Kinda glad I waited until now to see last week's episode.

How the fuck am I supposed to sleep now though??? 

(Mando episode was v good to, ftr, but hard to patch on a season finale)

Spoiler

Especially one that mirrors ESB in more ways than one.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Porthos said:

If there's not a third season of this, ***WE RIOT***!!!!!!

(just binged the last three epiosdes)

((I've been super super busy, alrigh'???)

They better announce it next week at Celebration… I can’t imagine there not being a third season 

Spoiler

With all those plot threads they left hanging. Also wonder how the tone of that season will be. Feels bound to be much less light-hearted with everything that just happened

• Like 3

Have to say it is interesting seeing new-to-SW fandom react to a patented 

Spoiler

"gonna make you hurt and grieve at a favorite character death."

Like, as a vet of TCW (and Rebels for that matter)...

5opto3.jpg

Been a loooooooot of brutal deaths in SW, aksually, and if indeed Tech is dead (this still is SW after all and even when we see the body that isn't always the end) it's not exactly the first time animated SW has gone out of it's way to completely gut punch you.

And to add to the gut punch, there is this added piece of resonance:

BULLSEYE.

Just a great touch that folks wouldn't know unless they were steeped in the history of the show/saga.  It's little touches like this which are especially good, IMO.

• Like 3

On 3/29/2023 at 10:47 PM, Menor Reborn said:

I mean you can't leave it hanging like that. There has to be a season 3. Also though it was a very good finale, I am not happy at all

Reveal hidden contents

Happy days!

• Like 3

SW/nerd bloggers, so grain of salt [though given the highly micro-targeted niche TBB exists in, perhaps not as much of a grain of salt]:

This one has implied spoilers, though given the overall direction of TBB not exactly a surprise, but I'll still put it behind a spoiler box:

Spoiler

ki0dapwprvk41.jpg

is gonna get a long loving look, including the angle about soul transference.

A teeny tiny bit more reserved from a more professional outlet:

Others are out there, I'm sure, but overall this seems to be at the high end of SW Animated storytelling (saw one person on reddit favorably compare the level of emotion to "second half Rebels", which is strong praise indeed).

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1