DeeCee

The Right Stuff | Disney+ | 9 OCT 2020

On 8/20/2020 at 11:04 PM, DeeCee said:

A series adaptation of Tom Wolfe’s The Right Stuff coming to Disney+. 

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/08/the-mercury-7-are-go-for-launch-in-first-trailer-for-disneys-the-right-stuff/

On the one hand, it looks neat and it's obviously a very handsome production. On the other hand, I wonder if it's bringing anything new to the discussion. I feel like this is very well-trodden ground at this point. The movie is monumental and it'll be hard to live up to that comparison (whether fairly or otherwise), but there's also so many high-profile documentaries and space race movies, many of them excellent.

Edited by Plain Old Tele
  • Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 2:12 AM, DeeCee said:

Apparently they intend to continue it post Mercury. An alternate “For All Mankind” (The Apple one that is).

Which would take it well beyond the Tom Wolfe book which ends with Mercury.

And we already had a very good TV miniseries on Apollo with "From The Earth To The Moon".

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 12:08 PM, Plain Old Tele said:

On the one hand, it looks neat and it's obviously a very handsome production. On the other hand, I wonder if it's bringing anything new to the discussion. I feel like this is very well-trodden ground at this point. The movie is monumental and it'll be hard to live up to that comparison (whether fairly or otherwise), but there's also so many high-profile documentaries and space race movies, many of them excellent.

I always thought that "From the Earth To The Moon" was excellent and surprised it's pretty much forgotten. 

• Like 1

It's certainly well-made and well-acted, but I can't say I'm a fan of this so far. Even ignoring comparisons to the 1983 film (which granted it could never live up to), everything feels very sterile and basic that it's hard to stay invested. I do really like the actors playing John and Al though. I don't think I've seen them in anything else, but they both have a lot of talent and charisma here.

18 hours ago, Count Eric said:

It's certainly well-made and well-acted, but I can't say I'm a fan of this so far. Even ignoring comparisons to the 1983 film (which granted it could never live up to), everything feels very sterile and basic that it's hard to stay invested. I do really like the actors playing John and Al though. I don't think I've seen them in anything else, but they both have a lot of talent and charisma here.

Patrick J. Adams (John) is from Suits. And Jake McDorman (Al) has been in a number of movies (supporting roles in American Sniper and Lady Bird) and TV shows (he was the son in the Murphy Brown revival and the lead in that Limitless series no one remembers).

I watched the first two episodes over the weekend and found it on the stiff side tbh. Not sure I'll continue.

It’s well made with solid actors but it has a certain dullness to it. 

It’s interesting to see Eric Ladin playing Chris Kraft here after playing Gene Kranz in For All Mankind. 

Some of us remember Limitless. Although it only just clicked where I recognised him from. 

On 8/26/2020 at 7:12 PM, DeeCee said:

Apparently they intend to continue it post Mercury. An alternate “For All Mankind” (The Apple one that is).

I see now how they are going to have multiple seasons now. 

Kind of expected unfortunately didn't really have any buzz

Luckily for me as someone who loves this space are stuff we still have For All Mankind on Apple TV+ and personally I feel it's much better 

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 5:46 PM, Jamiem said:

Kind of expected unfortunately didn't really have any buzz

Luckily for me as someone who loves this space are stuff we still have For All Mankind on Apple TV+ and personally I feel it's much better 

You really need to watch the HBO series "From The Earth To The Moon" about the Apollo program. Really well donw and for some reason it's sort of forgotten. Wierd, since it was HBO's first big Miniseries.