charlie Jatinder

Mulan International Thread: $5.9mn Weekend in 9 Markets.

29 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

$225k Taiwan opening day. Ugh. TENET was $530k on Thursday and $650k Friday OD.

You must understand Taiwan and Mainland's history - a lot of voices of boycott there.. plus Taiwan is known for piracy; they invented TV box. Lol that u dont even need to dl the film.

I heard Singapore and Msia OD was strong, but to be fair, the film opened on a Friday and it was a school holiday in Singapore compared to Tenet's Thursday release last week. To be fair, i foresee huge sat / sun drops cause of piracy; its freaking everywhere. Sad but true. Disney... i am speechless.

I hope Disney release some D+ numbers - those are the most impt.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, juni78ukr said:

Already available here for free download with reasonably good translation. Some of my facebook friends already saw it. Idiotic decision from Disney, Wont gross much here with September, 10, release. 

Ya stupid movie from Disney. Heard that they were more afraid of cam leaks from other countries impacting their D+ sales (instead of D+ piracy impacting other regions' theatrical release), hence D+ had to be first.

I dont know who made the decision but its dumb.. =(

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, juni78ukr said:

Already available here for free download with reasonably good translation. Some of my facebook friends already saw it. Idiotic decision from Disney, Wont gross much here with September, 10, release. 

On Friday, Mulan and Cuevana (the largest platform for movie piracy in Latin America) were TT in Mexico. I think there's even a dubbed version around. If so then the movie is even more screwed up across the region. Disney hasn't even given it a release date in any country so hopefully they'll give up and just send it for free to Disney+ when it launches on November,

• Disbelief 1

Middle East good start.

UAE better than TENET with $0.83mn Approx in 3 days compared to $855k of TENET in 5 days.

Saudi I am yet to receive numbers, but I will guess $2.1mn weekend in Middle East.

Taiwan $0.75mn Approx weekend. Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand perhaps $1.1mn Approx.

$3.9-4mn weekend.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Middle East good start.

UAE better than TENET with $0.83mn Approx in 3 days compared to $855k of TENET in 5 days.

Saudi I am yet to receive numbers, but I will guess $2.1mn weekend in Middle East.

Taiwan $0.75mn Approx weekend. Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand perhaps $0.9-1mn Approx.

$3.9-4mn weekend.

Sold out screens across Singapore during the weekend, Sunday weaker than Fri i think due to piracy.. WoM on movie sites and app very strong at 4 stars out of 5 on average.

However there is max capacity of 50 pax per show so the issue here is more of a theater supply issue (for Fri and Sat) and not a demand issue. I think Singapore itself will contributed c.USD600k over the weekend.

Edited by TigerPaw

3 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

However there is max capacity of 50 pax per show so the issue here is more of a theater supply issue (for Fri and Sat) and not a demand issue. I think Singapore itself will contributed c.USD600k over the weekend.

TENET did S$764k last week in 5 days. This had similar occupancy but 3 days but yeah I think S$600k as well. Thailand perhaps $0.4mn and $0.3mn in Malaysia.

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

TENET did S$764k last week in 5 days. This had similar occupancy but 3 days but yeah I think S$600k as well. Thailand perhaps $0.4mn and $0.3mn in Malaysia.

I think it might rival tenet in Singapore. Just from what I am seeing here. Last week i literally bought tickets for tenet 5mins before the show and got like the best seats; theater had total 6 people on Sunday at 2pm. At the same timeslot and cinema this weekend, Mulan was completely sold out (30 pax small theater). Issue with Mulan is that we are only counting 3 days instead of 5 days for tenet.

In whihever case, the numbers are small. These are small markets and Disney should have focused on larger markets like Latin America, India and pushed for earlier release in China as well.

I just spoke to a local theater chain; she is one of the senior staff of a local chain here in Singapore, she thinks Mulan will hit S$1 million (sing dollar of course) for the weekend.

Edit: Also on the fb page for Taipei box office where Mulan's sat numbers are published, Boycotters are pissed. Lol. It is doing better than they thought.

Edited by TigerPaw

Mulan grossed an estimated $5.9M internationally this weekend from 9 markets.

Estimated grosses by market included:

Taiwan - $1.2M

Thailand - $1.2M

Saudi Arabia - $0.8M

UAE - $0.8M

Singapore - $0.7M

Malaysia - $0.6M

Turkey and Qatar- $0.2M

Another $0.3M Crezch Republic and Croatia.

Taiwan 3.7x Taipei is a surprise. Cool though.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

$5.9mn Disney Actuals. Seems like South East Asia is bigger than I expected. So Taiwan is only market that underperformed.

Yup. And Taiwan is a place where there is huge voice of boycott due to their history with China.

Go to any of taiwan's review sites and you will see 1 star spams - review bombing.

Other than China and Russia on 11th Sep, SK and HK (not expecting much) on 17th.. any other markets you know are opening?

2 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Yup. And Taiwan is a place where there is huge voice of boycott due to their history with China.

Go to any of taiwan's review sites and you will see 1 star spams - review bombing.

Other than China and Russia on 11th Sep, SK and HK (not expecting much) on 17th.. any other markets you know are opening?

few small European markets like Poland, Lithuania, etc. Will release in Middle Eastern and Latin American countries too.