antovolk

Mufasa: The Lion King | December 20, 2024 | Barry Jenkins | Prequel to Favreau's CGI Version | RIP James Earl Jones

2 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Disney should have released Deadpool 3 instead of Mufasa on this date. Probably would've went above Maverick DOM, but oh well.

Are we going to say “it should’ve come out in December” for every big movie now?

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Are we going to say “it should’ve come out in December” for every big movie now?

But seriously though I think this instance makes sense. We should have gotten an event film/mega blockbuster at Christmas (with Sonic 3 being the counter-programming, kinda like Sing 2 vs NWH or Puss 2 vs Avatwo) and Deadpool 3 would've been the perfect match, instead of this weird PS5 looking spin off that nobody cares about. That also makes two Decembers in a row with a trash slate (last December the winner was Wonka at $219M and that was a full 72% above the second place movie) at least in 2025 we have a big blockbuster with Avatar 3

Edited by HummingLemon496

2 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Mufasa needs the boost more

Lmao so true

And speaking of which the Deadpool overperformance is insane, if you told somebody circa Nov 2023 $650M for Deadpool 3, they would've thought "oh yeah that's a reasonable worldwide prediction"

On 8/18/2024 at 9:50 PM, HummingLemon496 said:

But seriously though I think this instance makes sense. We should have gotten an event film/mega blockbuster at Christmas (with Sonic 3 being the counter-programming, kinda like Sing 2 vs NWH or Puss 2 vs Avatwo) and Deadpool 3 would've been the perfect match, instead of this weird PS5 looking spin off that nobody cares about. That also makes two Decembers in a row with a trash slate (last December the winner was Wonka at $219M and that was a full 72% above the second place movie) at least in 2025 we have a big blockbuster with Avatar 3

Mufasa should preform a lot stronger than Wonka though. Probably 360m DOM and 650-700m OS for 1.01-1.06B WW

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Deadpool 3 having a Christmas date probably adds $70M more domestically? Mufasa having that spot is the difference between $700M WW and $1.3B+ WW 

I'm sorry if this somehow happens I'll consider it more legendary than when Legion called 650M+ DOM for DPW

Also thinking about it and looking at what this guy named u/Firefox72 on Reddit is saying, it probably would've had a lower opening but slightly better legs for more or less the same total. So with XMAS it wouldn't have opened to $200M so if anything it's better it didn't get XMAS.

• Disbelief 1

On 9/2/2024 at 8:48 PM, HummingLemon496 said:

This is the most mornic shit I've ever seen on r/boxoffice:

I am not all that interested in either film, so I am neutral, but this is crazy.

I can see Mufasa not performing as well as some here expect but I have no doubt it will beat Sonic. BY what margin Ihave no wa of knowing.