Eric the Minion

Dumb Money | September 22, 2023 | Sony | Film about the Gamestop stonk craziness...yes really

Switching to a platform release

https://deadline.com/2023/08/dumb-money-box-office-sony-release-date-change-1235521081/

"Sony’s Craig Gillespie-directed comedy, Dumb Money, about the GameStop meme investors isn’t going wide anymore on Sept. 22. Rather, the Culver City lot has opted to go exclusive with the ensemble movie on Sept. 15 in LA and NYC, then a limited break on Sept. 22, followed by a moderate release on Sept. 29 and a final wide on Oct. 6. You’ll remember, Sony moved Kraven the Hunter off of that first weekend of October to Labor Day weekend 2024."

On 6/21/2023 at 8:11 AM, AJG said:

This feels 2 years too late. I was sick of hearing about this when it was happening.  Might be just me though. 

I just think protraying the meme investors as heroic people fighting the Wall Street Man is very simplistic. Let's put it this way, the motives on both sides were not much different.

35 minutes ago, KC7 said:

Switching to a platform release

https://deadline.com/2023/08/dumb-money-box-office-sony-release-date-change-1235521081/

"Sony’s Craig Gillespie-directed comedy, Dumb Money, about the GameStop meme investors isn’t going wide anymore on Sept. 22. Rather, the Culver City lot has opted to go exclusive with the ensemble movie on Sept. 15 in LA and NYC, then a limited break on Sept. 22, followed by a moderate release on Sept. 29 and a final wide on Oct. 6. You’ll remember, Sony moved Kraven the Hunter off of that first weekend of October to Labor Day weekend 2024."

lol wut.

I knew studios were going to be forced to get creative to tout their fall movies that depended on the actors promoting them but...

I enjoyed this a lot more than Big Short as it was more accessible. It didn't focus on the economics which I don't understand. I still don't understand how investors can lose money on a stock increasing - this movie didn't explain it. However, the narrative still works because the main character is engaging, and you can still get a feel of what is happening.

Edited by Avatree