Jake Gittes

The Fabelmans | Steven Spielberg's autobiographical coming-of-age-drama | Michelle Williams, Paul Dano, Seth Rogen, Judd Hirsch, and DAVID LYNCH | November 11, 2022 (limited), November 23 (wide)

4 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

We're gonna look back post Spielberg's passing and shake our heads at our past selves for totally dismissing his late career output. Those anonymous oscar ballots talking about Fabelmans spoke volumes, been a while since I've seen something just completely fly over people's heads like that; totally missing the point. They got filtered!

The sad part is that it those reactions weren't even looking at the movie on a surface level. It is rather explicitly sad and not "movies are magic and solve everything." They seem to be reacting to the marketing campaign more than anything.

• Like 4

On 3/14/2023 at 8:11 PM, TheDude391 said:

We're gonna look back post Spielberg's passing and shake our heads at our past selves for totally dismissing his late career output. Those anonymous oscar ballots talking about Fabelmans spoke volumes, been a while since I've seen something just completely fly over people's heads like that; totally missing the point. They got filtered!

Fabelmans is a $40m budgeted movie from a mainstream film director that made less than the 'artisan' niche Banshees of Inisherin and The Whale and was absolutely overwhelmed in popularity by the experimental EEAAO.

20 years ago, the debate would have been whether the tiny box office for The Whale, Banshees and EEAAO showed the Oscars were out of touch when Spielberg was churning out a $250m box office drama.

I swear much of the press and film media were STILL acting like that was the case despite Fabelmans being so utterly rejected by audiences. And I think that made the backlash double-up. Major critics and commentators still acting like Spielberg was a shoo-in for best director and talking about Fabelmans like it was one of the self-evident films of the year I think only made its perception worse and worse and made people like me root against it even harder.

Spielberg is one of my favourite directors but his choice in projects recently have been boring and uninspired.

I haven't watched any of these movies:

THE BFG - my least favourite Dahl book. Read it and watched the animated movie and both were boring.

THE POST - I've already seen ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN.

READY PLAYER ONE - 2 hours of pop culture references based on an awful book? No thanks.

WEST SIDE STORY - Utterly pointless remake.

I am interested in watching THE FABELMANS though the half-fictional/half-biography, neither one nor the other concept doesn't thrill me. Why not just make it a full autobiography? Plus the presence of the odious Seth Rogen.

Edited by CaptNathanBrittles

I haven't been able to be taken away by Spielberg's works in the past decade. In fact his last works that truly got me was Munich. Since then there has been a disconnection between me and this legendary directors. The same case for The Fabelmans, I do agree there was some strong, well directed scene here and there but overall the movie felt overdramatic and losing its focus by becoming a domestic drama affair especially in the 2nd half, only to be saved by the last scene. It is a step-up from WSS through.