Eric Deetz

House of the Dragon | GOT Spin-off | Season 2 June 2024

3 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Hide contents

Is the show possibly hinting that they will replace Nettles from Fire & Blood with Rhaena, given the hint that Sheepstealer from F&B is hanging out in the Vale instead of Dragonstone. The Nettles stuff in F&B kinda didn't work for me, so if that is the direction the show may end up going, that's fine with me because Rhaena kinda just exists in F&B.

Spoiler

I definetly think so. I think they want to give Rhaena more to do

This episode was mostly good with some great scenes (seriously all the green council scenes are amazing), but the last scene felt weird and unearned. I dont hate it and i see what they are going for, but it was way too sudden for me.

Probably my least favourite episode for me this Season which is still like a 8/10 lol.

What i cant appreciate enough is the set design, costumes and overall cinematography. This show looks so stunning, it makes literally every other TV show look cheap in comparison.

Okay the pieces are finally starting to fall in place tonight.

I am curious how much gets covered in the finale, since there's a pretty big significant battle looming ahead in the chronology, but I don't think we've quite set things up enough on all fronts to get there. There's 1-2 lesser but still notable battles that I think the show might hit before that.

Good contrast in showing different dragon personalities tonight.

I have to say I did not have

Spoiler

Tyland Lannister uncomfortably sweating through diplomatic negotiations where he was over a barrel, engaging in a mud wresting match where he was totally out of his element, and then being awkwardly propositioned to father children for multiple wives

on my bingo card for tonight. Please why have we not have more awkward situational comedy with this guy.

Also while I am still not a fan of this show intentionally forging links with the Long Night from Game of Thrones, I did find it a neat twist

Spoiler

That Helaena was speaking to Daemon via ESP from King's Landing and setting him on the right path even though he's responsible for her tragedies.

This episode did not feel like a season finale really, they basically teased all of the 7 next big things and then said "wait for another 18 months folks)

Also 

Spoiler

lol at Otto disappearing for 3/4 of the season, me assuming he was scheming in Highgarden or Oldtown or some other nifty scheme, and nope he's apparently locked up somewhere as a prisoner. They're really going off-book with whatever this guy is doing.

And double lol about Alicent's third son Daeron, first he doesn't even exist in season 1, and now he gets talked up a bunch in Season 2 but still does not show up. Maybe we'll get a non-speaking cameo from him in the Season 3 finale.

Gotta admit im a stan for this show but this episode was not a season finale. It was a straight-up tease for Season 3 and it doesnt feel like ... i dunno, satiesfying?

Also:

Spoiler

AGAIN another dumb Rhaenyra/Alicent meeting?? Im sorry i can defend the one in Episode 3 somewhat, but this one is just stupid. Alicent by now is essentially a completely different character from the book and i dont know if i like it

Still, first 2/3 of the episode was mostly really good and despite the tease factor, the ending was exciting.

Overall, the Season is a 8/10 for me. Its worse than Season 1 imo (mind you, Season 1 is amazing), but i feel like the 8-episode-nature of the Season hurt its pacing.

Alicent promising the throne to Rhaenyra and accepting that she will have to kill Aegon and setting a massive course of action not knowing that he's escaped. This is going to end horribly for her. 

I haven't read the books, but I do find the course of Alicent's actions intriguing. She's overcome with guilt, feels invisible, and horrified by the destruction around her (having a key role in sparking all of it). She's definitely going to be seen as a traitor once Rhaenyra can't find Aegon.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Alicent promising the throne to Rhaenyra and accepting that she will have to kill Aegon and setting a massive course of action not knowing that he's escaped. This is going to end horribly for her. 

I haven't read the books, but I do find the course of Alicent's actions intriguing. She's overcome with guilt, feels invisible, and horrified by the destruction around her (having a key role in sparking all of it). She's definitely going to be seen as a traitor once Rhaenyra can't find Aegon.

Spoiler

After this scene, Alicent in the show is a completely different character than in the books. Without going into specifics Book Alicent would have NEVER offered to let Aegon be killed.

Yeah show Alicent is now extremely different from book Alicent.

Jace needs to learn some chill, the final 2 episodes basically undid his early season glow-up.

I think the season flowed better than the last one without the constant time jumps but the endless teasing at the finale was very dissapointing.

And half of that dissapointment is because you know we are not gonna get the next season until Spring 2026 at the earliest because of how fucked streaming logistics are, I guess.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Joel M said:

I think the season flowed better than the last one without the constant time jumps but the endless teasing at the finale was very dissapointing.

And half of that dissapointment is because you know we are not gonna get the next season until Spring 2026 at the earliest because of how fucked streaming logistics are, I guess.

At least we get the Dunc and Egg show next year, but yeah 2 years between seasons is just brutal and i cant imagine its good for the viewership numbers either honestly

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:
  Hide contents

After this scene, Alicent in the show is a completely different character than in the books. Without going into specifics Book Alicent would have NEVER offered to let Aegon be killed.

Do you prefer it this way?

12 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Do you prefer it this way?

Its tough for me because Show Alicent is a much more complex character than Book Alicent (which is not hard btw since the book is basically just a retelling of historical events), and i was totally sold on Alicents storyline in Season 2 with her descending into isolation, powerlesness and depession ... but this last scene in Episode 8 just doesnt make sense to me:

Spoiler

She basically sold out and betrayed her whole family in that scene, revealing Aemonds moves to Rhaenyra, basically offering her the crown and beeing ok with Aegons death - that is just totally inconsistent with her character, show or book

I think its always hard to truly judge a character without knowing the complete story and since HotD will have 4 Seasons, theres more than enough time to repair the damage with Alicent so to speak, but right now, i would honestly have to say i actually prefer Book Alicent. That version of her is completey one-dimensional in her hatred for Rhaenyra, but at least its consistent.

But again, im giving the show the benefit of the doubt and i wont give up hope that they manage to make her character make more sense in Season 3 hopefully.

Spoiler

issue is they keep teasing to the great batttle with the white walkers

but we all know that ended in game of thrones in such an anti climatic way 

It like i dont care

Edited by Torontofan

On 8/5/2024 at 7:31 PM, 4815162342 said:

Yeah show Alicent is now extremely different from book Alicent.

It's also that she has been thrown into different circumstances. Book Aemond never removed her from the Green Council. I think she was even made Regent for a short while, right?

But both Book and Show Alicent do share a core commonality that informs most of their actions which is this

On 8/5/2024 at 9:51 PM, Brainbug said:

Its tough for me because Show Alicent is a much more complex character than Book Alicent (which is not hard btw since the book is basically just a retelling of historical events), and i was totally sold on Alicents storyline in Season 2 with her descending into isolation, powerlesness and depession ... but this last scene in Episode 8 just doesnt make sense to me:

Reveal hidden contents

I think its always hard to truly judge a character without knowing the complete story and since HotD will have 4 Seasons, theres more than enough time to repair the damage with Alicent so to speak, but right now, i would honestly have to say i actually prefer Book Alicent. That version of her is completey one-dimensional in her hatred for Rhaenyra, but at least its consistent.

But again, im giving the show the benefit of the doubt and i wont give up hope that they manage to make her character make more sense in Season 3 hopefully.

Alicent's actions make sense considering her main priority is the safety of Helaena and her surviving child. She's petrified of Aemond and what a potential reign under him on the Iron Throne signifies, and Aegon is barely alive (as per her knowledge anyway)

i think the major reason this show sort of been losing steam in season 2 is they keep focusing the song of ice and fire but the issue is how that storyline ended in Game of Thrones tv show wasnt um popular lol....

So its like the ehhhh 

This season was total shit, only 2 episodes were worth watching.

The Daemon arc became a meme for the bad reasons since the 4th episode. 

Almost all the episode felt like some filler commercial for the next season. 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2024 at 10:30 AM, Belakor said:

This season was total shit, only 2 episodes were worth watching.

The Daemon arc became a meme for the bad reasons since the 4th episode. 

Almost all the episode felt like some filler commercial for the next season. 

The head writer came out right at the start of the season saying that WB execs dictated they could only do 8 episodes this season from the get go. I'm also assuming they vetoed budgets for some of the book spectacles that would have been big crowd-pleasers.

Spoiler

A proper 10 episode season under the older regime would have given us events like Battle of the Gullet and the Siege of King's Landing.

Yet another reason to hate Zaslav. Man's straight up hurting even the most solid IPs that the company has.

Well, George RR Martin posted a blog post today where he heavily critisized the showrunner Condal for his handling of certain aspects of the story and what they might mean for future seasons. He deleted the blog post just hours later, so make of that what you want.

In any case, George isnt all that happy with Season 2.