filmlover

Golden Globes/HFPA news thread (Breaking News: It Lives!)

You just know that the Critics Choice Awards are SEETHING over this news right now.

I wonder if they'll even bother with a red carpet and or if they'll just start the show with everyone seated inside and going through the entire ceremony as if the previous year or so never happened.

On 8/9/2022 at 8:03 PM, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Well, Tom Cruise sent back the three Golden Globes he won, does that mean Top Gun: Maverick is getting blanked? It's not really a modern Globes sort of movie anyway, but they do like having popular stars attend.

He can win a new one and get three more back !

I do hope this show comes back. I don't watch anything else but this and the Oscars. The others I just lookup who won what. Bring back Gervais or Chappelle or someone relevant to host. The Globes can hype up their new members and show their hands at being more diverse. 

I have to admit to being sort of happy this mess of a show is coming back lol but the ceremony is going to be on a Tuesday night? Is it not to conflict with sports or other events (the Emmys just took place on a Monday so it's not out of the ordinary)?

Edit: yep, it's due to the 8th being the last day of the NFL's regular season and the 15th already being claimed by the Critics Choice Awards.

Edited by filmlover

The statement also provided the following timetable for the 80th Golden Globes:

• Monday, November 7, 2022: Deadline for Motion Picture and Television Submissions
  • Monday, December 12, 2022: Nominations Announced
  • Tuesday, January 10, 2023: Live Broadcast of the 80th Annual Golden Globe Awards

A Tuesday... For a long time, the Oscars used to be on Mondays before they moved the day. I guess this will liven up the week?

• Like 1

I think the #1 question is whether they'll nominate Top Gun or Cruise after he returned his three awards to them lol. That whole thing was funny to me because has he even cared about this awards show at all for a while? The last time he attended the ceremony was nearly 14 years ago.

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

I think the #1 question is whether they'll nominate Top Gun or Cruise after he returned his three awards to them lol. That whole thing was funny to me because has he even cared about this awards show at all for a while? The last time he attended the ceremony was nearly 14 years ago.

They have all those new voters, maybe they won't feel as slighted? I could see them just not going for TGM in major categories even if Tom hadn't dissed them so publicly, it is a summer action movie.

I think Paramount cares about awards more than Cruise, but the Globes are really not essential to TGM doing well on Oscar morning.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

On 9/28/2022 at 1:34 PM, filmlover said:

More TV than movies but...

I wonder if they will ever do the same for movies as well, films generally have more supporting actors than leads. But then, a lot of the lead acting movie categories at the Globes are often filled out by people who go aupporting at the Oscars.

Golden Globes to Air on CBS:

The telecast, which will run for three hours beginning at 5 p.m. PST, will air on Sunday, Jan. 7, 2024, immediately following an NFL on CBS Sunday doubleheader.

That's the last day of the regular season, can't wait until some West Coast game with playoff implications goes into overtime, delaying the show and earning the ire of awards junkies worldwide!

But seriously, talk about the Globes landing on their feet!

54 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Golden Globes to Air on CBS:

That's the last day of the regular season, can't wait until some West Coast game with playoff implications goes into overtime, delaying the show and earning the ire of awards junkies worldwide!

But seriously, talk about the Globes landing on their feet!

They'll just extend the time for the red carpet and the alcohol. Yippee!

• Like 1