Jake Gittes

Wes Anderson's Asteroid City | June 16, 2023 | Rated PG-13 for graphic nudity

43 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

This is the side effect of being part of the viral tiktok trend, that the movie will inevitably attract outsiders who have little knowledge or familiarity to indie/auteur filmmaking, only to conclude something they don't understand as boring. This is probably why the RT verified audience score was so low at 62%.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

This is the side effect of being part of the viral tiktok trend, that the movie will inevitably attract outsiders who have little knowledge or familiarity to indie/auteur filmmaking, only to conclude something they don't understand as boring. This is probably why the RT verified audience score was so low at 62%.   

Yeah, i always find funny how Wes work is perceived as stylish only, to a point where social media is absolutely losing their minds over it. 

But is very easy to debunk this idea, you just need to find people who knows his work based on the style reacting to one of his recent movies and you see there’s way more in them than beautiful shots.

Even in critics it became a common complain about how he puts style over substance without realizing that if cinema is a visual form, style is substance if you pay attention to it. 

Still didn’t watch Asteroid City because it opens here in August, but the reception for French Dispatch was very similar with a lot of criticism about lack of substance, but that movie have one of the more honest and moving scenes about the reality of non-white people in an environment full of white people i’ve seen in “mainstream” cinema recently:

• Like 4

https://deadline.com/2023/08/asteroid-city-peacock-streaming-date-wes-anderson-1235454956/

‘Asteroid City’ Hitting Peacock Next Week

Wes Anderson’s arthouse oasis, Asteroid City, will stream on Peacock on Friday, Aug. 11, 57-days after opening in theaters.

The Focus Features absurdist comedy, which world premiered at the Cannes Film Festival has grossed $27.7M at the domestic box office, which is 73% more than Anderson’s previous post Covid title, The French Dispatch, which earned $16M.

A bit disappointed when the movie couldn't pass $30m after started out so much promising during its first 2 weeks. The international BO even come below French Dispatch.  

Yeah the international performance is super surprising and disappointing to me. I get that French Dispatch had more international appeal, and just more appeal as a film in general, but I would've thought the cast and Wes' name would've allowed it to pull similar numbers to the US performance and easily have it clear $50m, maybe even $60m