Jake Gittes

Wes Anderson's Asteroid City | June 16, 2023 | Rated PG-13 for graphic nudity

On 5/10/2023 at 1:05 PM, Mojoguy said:

Wes needs to make another stop motion animated movie soon! Fantasic Mr Fox and Isle of Dogs are amazing!

CvcswV1WEAQeu_i.jpg

I liked Isle of Dogs, but it felt like a dog movie made by a cat person. 

• Haha 1

Interestingly, so far as Wes Anderson movies go, the score has dropped to pretty average at MC score v. the other stuff he's directed. It's currently at 72 with 22 reviews. His other films scores at metacritic are....

French Dispatch 74

Isle of Dogs 82

Grand Budapest 88

Moonrise Kingdom 84

Mr. Fox 83

Darjeeling 67

Life Aquatic 62

Royal Tenenbaums 76

Rushmore 86

Bottle Rocket 67

I’ve never seen a Wes Anderson’s movie I liked but I’m glad he’s around anyway. There isn’t really anyone making the the kind of films he’s making to that kind of exposure. In today’s industry he’s like water in the desert.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 3

It was funny seeing the trailer for this before Fast X but it was basically a 30 second TV spot that as part of a Universal/Focus trailer package that included this, Oppenheimer, Strays (also a TV spot version of the trailer), and Five Night's at Freddy's. The fact Universal doesn't have much else out for the rest of the year means their movies are probably going to get some unlikely trailer placements.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It was funny seeing the trailer for this before Fast X but it was basically a 30 second TV spot that as part of a Universal/Focus trailer package that included this, Oppenheimer, Strays (also a TV spot version of the trailer), and Five Night's at Freddy's. The fact Universal doesn't have much else out for the rest of the year means their movies are probably going to get some unlikely trailer placements.

Five Nights at Freddy's trailer played back to back to back at my Fast X screening. Haha. Audience was losing it. 

AC has some of the most eventful marketing for an arthouse title in post-Covid era. I am not sure how well this will work for BO but I must give a shout out to FF to at least attempt to bring some life to specialty market. Expansion to 1500 locations next week.

At Landmark Theatres’ Sunset, Asteroid City will take over the entire space for an exclusive two-week immersive experience. The pop-up opened to the public with preview screenings last night and all five screens at the theater will show the film for the entire first two weeks of its theatrical run. The experience includes limited edition merchandise and set pieces like turning the concession stand into a replica of the diner in the film.

Other exhibition partners include Alamo Drafthouse, which has also transformed the lobby of its lower Manhattan location into an Asteroid City through June 26. It held an advance screening at its Brooklyn theater followed by a live Q&A with Wes Anderson, Adrian Brody, Jeffrey Wright, Rupert Friend, Stephen Park, Hope Davis, Jake Ryan, Jeff Goldblum, Jason Schwartzman, and Maya Hawke that was live streamed to 28 of the chain’s theaters.

The Angelika is offering a free movie-themed t-shirt Friday through Sunday to first 1,000 guests each day.

Social includes a big push with TikTok activations and a partnership with Instagram. The platform has launched a series of in-app AR effects that both place users in Asteroid City itself, and give them a suite of tools to film video in Wes Anderson’s unique visual style. 

In retail, Lush flagship stores in London and Las Vegas were retooled as Asteroid City Gift Shops complete with diner counters, in-world activations and merchandise including an asteroid bath bomb, doomsday soap and spaceship shower gel.