The movie is EXTREMELY strong during the week

In comparison S5 in its first weekdays did:

Mon: 3.8M (Holiday-MLK Day)

Tue: 2.06M

Wed: 1.55M

S6 is doing more than double

should pass 5's domestic total by early next week

Edited by screambaby

I’m genuinely amazed that this is getting received so well, I just saw it and as a fan of the series since 1996, I thought this was a bit of a mess, and the first time I’ve come out of a Scream film feeling deflated (3 is disappointing, but I was still mostly entertained by it, the OG trio and Parker Posey make it fun).

This had a few genuinely great scenes (the opening, the ladder, the subway and Gale’s main scene) but was bogged down by far too many attempts at nostalgia baiting with the constant references to previous films in its own franchise. I know that’s what it was going for, and referencing other horror films is what the series does, but it felt kind of obnoxious to reference itself without any attempts at subtlety, it felt like it finally became what the original was critiquing. I was still on board for most of it despite those quibbles, but the last third went wildly off the rails and really dragged it down for me.

Spoiler

The fact that they all survived such blatantly fatal wounds was lame as hell. No way in hell would Mason Gooding have survived being gutted like a fish by TWO Ghostfaces, they stab him about 20 times! Likewise with Gale, they should’ve either straight up killed her or not even bothered letting Ghostface get close enough to stab her. It just made it feel like there were no real consequences because they all had plot armour. I also really didn’t like how they betrayed Gale’s character development through the first 5 films, she felt off for the entire thing to me, and I find it hard to believe that she’d be straight back to shoving a camera in people’s faces like she does here after everything she’s gone through and seen others go through.

Kirby’s return felt forced to me too unfortunately, if felt like the writers had just listened to the fans too much, and it makes me fear that they’ll actually bring Stu back, which would be a mistake in my opinion. Love the character, but he’s dead. If he survived the end of Scream it’d be a massive cop out.

I liked the opening with Samara Weaving and Tony Revelori though, following an already revealed Ghostface could’ve been an interesting twist on the formula and it’s a shame they didn’t continue down that route.

I’ll still watch Scream 7 because I’m in the bag for these films, and the highlight scenes I mentioned above along with Scream ‘22 prove that Radio Silence can make a good Scream film, but I just hope they have the guts to take the plot armour off certain characters and stop playing the nostalgia card quite so hard.

Edited by SnokesLegs

I have to give a lot of credit to Sam in this movie. I didnt dislike Sam in Scream 5, but it thought she was outshined a lot by Tara and other characters, but in this movie, she absolutely is one of the highlights. Some indirect spoilers ahead:

Spoiler

I do really appreciate the differend kind of "final girl" that Sam is in both 5 and especially 6 here. She is completely different from Sidney and has a much much darker side to her that i hope they will explore even more in Scream 7. She is imo one of the best Scream characters now.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Brainbug said:

I have to give a lot of credit to Sam in this movie. I didnt dislike Sam in Scream 5, but it thought she was outshined a lot by Tara and other characters, but in this movie, she absolutely is one of the highlights. Some indirect spoilers ahead:

Hide contents

I do really appreciate the differend kind of "final girl" that Sam is in both 5 and especially 6 here. She is completely different from Sidney and has a much much darker side to her that i hope they will explore even more in Scream 7. She is imo one of the best Scream characters now.

Agreed. 

Sam is the weakest part of 5 and the best part of VI. Fair play to the writers/directors/Barrera for doubling down and really going for it.

And to be fair to Melissa, no actress in the world was selling that exposition dump in 5 in the hospital. That was some painful writing.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

Sam is the weakest part of 5 and the best part of VI. Fair play to the writers/directors/Barrera for doubling down and really going for it.

And to be fair to Melissa, no actress in the world was selling that exposition dump in 5 in the hospital. That was some painful writing.

And it was the first scene they shot together. Should’ve done a Valerie Cherish and given her another take. lisa kudrow thank you GIF by The Comeback HBO

1 minute ago, Boxofficerules said:

My biggest worry is how on earth is 7 going to top 6?

My dream idea for a Scream movie maybe: Ive always wanted to see a Scream movie from the perspective of the killer(s). That way it would be instantly unique in the franchise and would - if its well executed ofc - bring a very differend kind of tension into the story, because we as the audience would know things that the characters dont at any given time for the first time. I dunno, i think this could work really well.

Though if Scream 7 continues the same formula as well as Scream 6, i wont complain for a second.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 5:11 PM, Brainbug said:

My dream idea for a Scream movie maybe: Ive always wanted to see a Scream movie from the perspective of the killer(s). That way it would be instantly unique in the franchise and would - if its well executed ofc - bring a very differend kind of tension into the story, because we as the audience would know things that the characters dont at any given time for the first time. I dunno, i think this could work really well.

They had a chance to do this with Scream VI’s opening, I really wish they’d run with it rather than chickening out before the title card.

3 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

They had a chance to do this with Scream VI’s opening, I really wish they’d run with it rather than chickening out before the title card.

I was relieved when that was over, I would hate for them to go in that direction. I feared they were doing it, but was glad they didn’t. The whodunnit aspect is one of the best aspects of the films. 

Edited by Krissykins

I did wonder why I was seeing articles about Scream 6 passing Scream 5 worldwide, thinking they were premature. 

But they updated Scream 5’s worldwide box office to $137.74m, down from $140m. Maybe some international actuals came in at the end of 2022. 

3 hours ago, Kyriacos said:

Now that we are getting close to the movie's BO run, what your final predictions are? I'll say 105M domestically and 60M internationally for a 165M total

It doesn’t look like it’ll grow as much internationally as I thought, with Scream 5 having to deal with omicron last time.

It does have Finland and Denmark opening tomorrow, but those are the last markets listed on IMDB. Maybe it’ll get to $160m.  

19 hours ago, Krissykins said:

It doesn’t look like it’ll grow as much internationally as I thought, with Scream 5 having to deal with omicron last time.

It does have Finland and Denmark opening tomorrow, but those are the last markets listed on IMDB. Maybe it’ll get to $160m.  

A lot of people seem optimistic about a 115M+ domestic sum. But i really don't see it

9 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

Should def do $ 100 million, it’s now battling to outgross Smile.

With Smile doing $105.9m. 

Scream 6’s 3rd Thursday is more than double Scream 5’s, which added $11m after this same point. If 6 does that, it’ll be $103.9m, so it could get there :)