Fullbuster

Russia Box Office

Trees and Ronins are fighting for the crown. Hobbit is on third. Mitty is well behind. Tarzan is the main loser.

I'm not surprised for Tarzan, it's not easy to come after Disney's animated Tarzan, and with a lot of competition.

Can Frozen gross a bit more before disappearing?

Trees and Ronins are fighting for the crown. Hobbit is on third. Mitty is well behind. Tarzan is the main loser.

I'm not surprised.

I predicted 47 Ronin would be big in Russia. It doesn't seem to be completely true, but it'll probably be one of the few countries where it actually opens "decent".

~180m, 11% growth.

A bit? $28m pretty much locked, it managed to survive til the holidays, disney(WDSSPR) did it.

Great numbers, with 180m admissions Russia could pass France next year or in 2015.

That's great fo Frozen, and deserved! I expected $25m so I'm happy about it :)

Openers Wednesday(ekinobilet):

1) 47 Ronin - $2,5m+

2) Love in the big city 3* - $870k+

3) Friends of friends* - $615k+

4) The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - $600k+

5) Faster than rabbits* - $425k+

6) Tarzan - $350k+

2,55m+ Trees 3*, $1,4m+ for Hobbit:DOS, $1,19m+ for Gray Wolf 2*, $500k+ for Frozen.

*Local

1 USD = 32,66 RUB

Stalingrad got an US release date - http://www.movieinsider.com/m11543/stalingrad/ ? I wonder if it can make $5m there :D

It might just be a token "contractual obligation" release. A sorta-famous example was Big Shot's Funeral, a Chinese film that Sony opened in the U.S. with no marketing and which grossed $820. I doubt Sony was bothered, since it was a hit in China and they presumably made their investment back from there. Sony Pictures Classics is a very conservative outfit and I can't see them pulling out any stops for Stalingrad. It should at least get better treatment than Big Shot's Funeral, though.

Edited by Bob Violence
  • Like 1

The problem with an IMAX-only release is that it has one week before 300: Rise of an Empire comes along and takes most or all of its showings. And if Robocop is still doing well, I doubt Sony is going to push IMAX screens to reduce or eliminate Robocop showings (also a Sony release) to make room for Stalingrad, unless there's a contractual obligation along the lines of "the movie must have at least x showings per screen on its opening weekend."

Openers Thursday(ekinobilet):

1) 47 Ronin - $3,2m+

2) Love in the big city 3* - $1,15m+

3) Friends of friends* - $920k+

4) The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - $760k+

5) Tarzan - $670k+

6) Faster than rabbits* - $540k+

$3,2m+ Trees 3*, $2m+ for Hobbit:DOS, $1,96m+ for Gray Wolf 2*, $840k+ for Frozen.

*Local

1 USD = 32,66 RUB

All increased.
  • Like 1