Eric is Quiet

Cinemacon 2022 Discussion Thread

6 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Yeesh, so many movies moved out of 2022. What benefits the most from this? Shazam?

Yeah. Mario definitely would have been the Avatar counter-programming king, so maybe now Shazam will reap some benefits instead. I'm sure WB is happy, at least.

Puss to december 21 2022?

That seems dumb, it had a pretty good release date already

Probably means Mario wasn't going to be ready

And now september is as dire as august

1 minute ago, ringedmortality said:

Puss in Boots moves to December

Not a one to one replacement for Mario. Should do 100M or so probably.

The release schedule post Bullet Train till Black Adam is now dead. WB should look to get Black Adam up to the first weekend of October.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Literally, what opens in August and Sept now?

Bodies, Bodies Bodies.

Don't Worry Darling.

Bros.

The only movies that will make any money (unless, like, Easter Sunday explodes for some reason... in August).

Why are studios avoiding this space again

Salem's Lot should do well. Horror movies tend to have an audience.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Yeah, Mario will most certainly be sitting this out then. Shame. We'll probably have to wait until the September direct to see the character designs. My excitement for Universal's panel is pretty much gone.

I mean, I still expect rough footage and descriptions for it. Mario’s first teaser could be with Lightyear/Minions though as there’s not much else Universal could attach, like Trolls 2 did with Pets 2/TS4, 

4 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Literally, what opens in August and Sept now?

Bodies, Bodies Bodies.

Don't Worry Darling.

Bros.

The only movies that will make any money (unless, like, Easter Sunday explodes for some reason... in August).

Why are studios avoiding this space again

I’m guessing this is probably the middle of a long term trickle down Covid delays felt by VFX workers and those in the animation industry which makes sense. I wouldn’t be surprised if we got wind of delays for some more tentpoles next.

But it may be a silver lining for the mid budget stuff as there’s a lot of space and could spread some things out over the period. Paramount could move one of its two family films to September now (Paws of Fury or Secret Headquarters can both benefit).

Some of the more recent delays are proof that the effects of COVID are still lingering within Hollywood. Again, VFX crunch is very much real. The Mario movie was also likely motivated by Sonic 2 being a big hit within that same timeframe. Or maybe Miyamoto was spooked by Avatar 2.

Puss in Boots 2 moving to December sucks for Shazam 2, but it's still better than having to compete with a juggernaut like Mario.

1 minute ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Puss in Boots 2 moving to December sucks for Shazam 2, but it's still better than having to compete with a juggernaut like Mario.

If anything Puss 2 saved Shazam, less likely to take PLFs from it and Puss 2 is much smaller than Mario, as it’s ceiling is at best around $150m.