IndustriousAngel

BO Germany/Austria: Dune first 2024 blockbuster (3mil admissions)

I hope that I can report the Thursday numbers tomorrow :).
Tomorrow is Fronleichnam – a holiday in half of the states which means that a lot of people will use Friday as a bridge day.

At the moment in mathäser and some other cinemas I looked at Warcraft is outpacing Alice 2 by far. Also the midnight presale numbers for Warcraft look very good – in contrast to the numbers of Alice 2. I don't know if this is the case only in the male-dominated mathäser or if the interest in Alice 2 in general is so low. For the rest of the weekend the presales for Warcraft are ok/good but not overwhelming so far and for Alice 2 just bad. Both have a lot of playtimes.

It's true, the buzz around Warcraft in the last weeks was surprisingly bad. But now it improves with the help of the fine presale number reports from several countries and the first nice reviews from fans. I doubt that the so far not very good american reviews will become a factor. The worse factor could be the weather which is predicted to be pretty good.

• Like 2

Going by presales, Alice2 is doing worse than bad, that's true ... thing is, with family stuff, presales are telling very little; most parents just don't care in which seats they have to suffer through whatever their kids want to see. Let's wait for tomorrow's daytime numbers before burying Alice2.

43 minutes ago, IndustriousAngel said:

Going by presales, Alice2 is doing worse than bad, that's true ... thing is, with family stuff, presales are telling very little; most parents just don't care in which seats they have to suffer through whatever their kids want to see. Let's wait for tomorrow's daytime numbers before burying Alice2.

Yes it's true, there's still hope ;). I also included the afternoon reservations but as you said family films don't have much reservations.
We will see. I also can't believe that there's SUCH a low interest after Alice in Wonderland had 3M admissions.

• Like 1

X-Men comparisons:

Movie - Opening incl. previews - Total

X1 - 903,315 - 2,368,676

X2 - 893,412 - 2,090,609

X3 - 680,372 - 1,594,223

X4 - 229,366 - 648,690

X5 - 302,399 - 1,156,314

X6 - 239,031 - ???

X5 had a good 2nd weekend (245,619) which helped it get a much higher total than X4. I think X6 will reach a total right in the middle between X4 and X5.

Edited by HH84
  • Like 3

The Thursday estimates via insidekino.de (forum):

New Releases:

Warcraft (plays in 600 theaters): 123.5k
Alice 2 (530): 45k
Money Monster (425): 28.5k

Holdovers:

X-Men: Apocalypse: 33k (last Thursday: 42k but last Thursday was a normal Thursday and no half-holiday like yesterday)
Captain America 3: 10k (14k)
Bad Neighbors 2: 9k (15k)
The Jungle Book: 5k (10k)
The Witch: 4k (5k, a fine hold)

If these numbers hold it's not looking bad for the bigger new releases. Money Monster surprises me and Warcraft is hopefully not too frontloaded which would also lead to a successful weekend.
Alice has to improve but with the most of the weekend still coming it's at least a better number today than I thought.

Edit: Yes, they did hold :). These are the actual numbers - almost everything improved:
Warcraft: 160k (!)
Alice 2: 50k
Money Monster: 25k
X-Men: 40k
Angry Birds: 27k

Edited by el sid
  • Like 6

First trend:

Warcraft 500k
Alice 225k (the first opened with 529,071)

Money Monster 110T
X-Men 150k

Angry Birds 110k

Will be interesting to see, how frontloaded Warcraft will be and if the next trends can stay at 500k.

• Like 8

Angry Bird drops 25% and X-Men 30% (without previews, with 37%)

With good weather it's OK, but with holiday it should have been a bit better. Maybe weather will be getting worse. There are storms predicted.

The Warcraft would be great. Hopefully it won't be too frontloaded. It could - in a good case - get to a $6M opening.

7 hours ago, snitch said:

I always thought WarCraft was big in Germany and would do big numbers, so i'm not that surpised. Still - good to hear.

Yea, Warcraft is going to surprise everybody. Huge FF7-like pre-sale number from China with some predicting $500M from China alone.

Meanwhile in US, not a peep.....

Edited by zackzack

I'm sorry, still no second trend. Perhaps there won't be one at all today. So at least these are the Friday ESTIMATES via insidekino.de (forum):

Warcraft: 123.5k (almost identically to the Thursday estimates, but I don't dare to hope that it had again 160k in actuals on Friday. It was just too sunny everywhere. But either way, this looks good).
Alice 2: 36.5k (meh, the only film with an estimated decrease)
Money Monster: 33k
X-Men: Apocalypse 49.5k
Bad Neighbors II 16.5k
Captain America 3: 13k
The Jungle Book: 12.5k
The Witch: 5k

Edit: boxofficemojo reports 3.5M after 2 days for Warcraft. 3.5-2.2=1.3M. That means Warcraft had at least 100k visitors on Friday. Still I hope this is only a first estimate and the number goes up ;).
Could the jump to 160k moviegoers on Thursday be a result of that they included the 23:59 shows on Wednesday to the Thursday number? It's only a guess...

Edited by el sid

3 hours ago, Aristis said:

$5.9M OW for Warcraft, according to Deadline. But with 425k on the weekend that'd be a price of $13,9 (what would be more than 12,50!!!)

:huh: Is such a ticketprice even possible?

Yes, it is ;). Our tickets costed 13 Euro = 14.44 US$. In 3D but no IMAX. I'm not even sure if it was with or without a student discount but I think without.

By the way, the film or event or whatever you call it is great and I'm no gamer.
This is mainly adressed to the US-citizens: The reviews for Warcraft from critics here are mostly not overwhelming but solid or good (except some, but only some, from newspapers).
And the reviews from German moviegoers are (and it doesn't matter which film-website you visit) surprisingly good. It's pretty much the same feedback as from France or Russia (7.4/10 moviepilot, 4.1/5 filmstarts or even 4.5/5 from some others). So don't trust the US-critics ;).

Edited by el sid
  • Like 2