Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

2 hours ago, James said:

Considering Animales Fantasticos, and not the english title was trending worldwide, I want 35m for Fantastic Beasts in Brazil!:lol:

No way, the fandom for YA movies is REALLY big here, any YA movie is always trending here, I mean, Jesus, even Fifth Wave was trending in the release day, it means nothing, serious. I remember that I had faith that MJ2 would explode here because it was always in the TT's, and, it ended being a disappointment.

About FB: I'm expecting Hobbit's numbers for this, maybe less since the ER is way worse, yeah, Potter is popular here, but not THAT popular, like in Europe, for example, it's something like in NA, since HP and LOTR are pretty much equal in popularity here, I would say that Hobbit's numbers would be more than great for this. 

14 minutes ago, Planodisney said:

Was just wondering, from someone who understands this market better than I, why Disney and Pixar animation increasingly struggle in the Brazilian market.  My wife is from São Paulo and grew up loving Disney.  It's almost a right of passage for high schoolers to make the Orlando trip.  Yet Disney/Pixar animation really struggles here.  Just curious.

I really don't understand this too, just like your wife, I grew up watching Disney/Pixar movies, that's why I was so shocked when I checked their Box Office here, DW and Blue Sky are the biggest companies of animation movies here..... But, things are starting to change, Zootopia destroyed a DWA movie (KFP3), and, FD has chances at beating an IA movies this year, and, iirc, FN is the animation movie that most sold tickets here! 

Actually, a good answer to your question would be: Because Disney/Pixar are not into sequels like DWA/BS, for example, here, original movies always struggle to find audience, while sequels tend to be really bigger, for example Frozen made 'only' $23m here back in 2014, but, since then, I would say that it is the most popular movie ever in Brazil, if they release a sequel, it would easily surpass most of DW/BS movies, IMO. 

The first DM movie also didn't make huge numbers here, and look how much Minnions made last year...... Most of the movies here needs to have sequels to build a fandom and to make massive numbers. 

26 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

No way, the fandom for YA movies is REALLY big here, any YA movie is always trending here, I mean, Jesus, even Fifth Wave was trending in the release day, it means nothing, serious. I remember that I had faith that MJ2 would explode here because it was always in the TT's, and, it ended being a disappointment.

About FB: I'm expecting Hobbit's numbers for this, maybe less since the ER is way worse, yeah, Potter is popular here, but not THAT popular, like in Europe, for example, it's something like in NA, since HP and LOTR are pretty much equal in popularity here, I would say that Hobbit's numbers would be more than great for this. 

That would be half of DH2's 35.7m. Kinda disappointing.

Edited by James

2 hours ago, Planodisney said:

Was just wondering, from someone who understands this market better than I, why Disney and Pixar animation increasingly struggle in the Brazilian market.  My wife is from São Paulo and grew up loving Disney.  It's almost a right of passage for high schoolers to make the Orlando trip.  Yet Disney/Pixar animation really struggles here.  Just curious.

That's because Disney and Pixar mostly produce "original" stuff and Brazilian people seems to be allergic to films that aren't sequels or adaptations to hot properties.

3 hours ago, James said:

That would be half of DH2's 35.7m. Kinda disappointing.

Well, my dear, I'm feeling that you will have a lot of disappointments with this movie, it won't bring the same nostalgia fever that SW brought last year, and I know that you're expecting this. :ph34r:

If the Gold Trio was in the movie, then, the history would be WAY different... 

1 hour ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Well, my dear, I'm feeling that you will have a lot of disappointments with this movie, it won't bring the same nostalgia fever that SW brought last year, and I know that you're expecting this. :ph34r:

If the Gold Trio was in the movie, then, the history would be WAY different... 

We will see. I'm still betting on 30m+ :P

• Like 1

@Mockingjay Raphael did you read this review? http://theyoungfolks.com/review/movie-review-captain-america-civil-war/76890

I guess someone forgot to send him the check QW7ELPA.gif

But it's nice to read a critic's honest opinion about it. From what he said I already feel I will hate this movie because he pointed out all the problems in MCU movies that annoy me, and if Marvel didn't take risks with this movie, they never will. I think I'm done giving money to this franchise. I respect who enjoy it, but it's not for my taste.

Top 10 2016( R$ mi):

1 Os dez mandamentos - O filme 116.414
2 BvS 115.974
3 Deadpool 81.886
The Good Dinosaur 48.348
5 The Revenant 40.198
6 Star Wars: Episódio VII . 37.271
7 Zootopia  34.827
8  Peanutts 32.216
9 Até que a sorte nos separe 3 30.826
10 Allegiant 26.255

5 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Of course I saw! I even took a print, before the grade suddenly change to A+, because, you know..... 

I'm with you, I'm done giving money to this company, I thought that they would finally improve on this movie, but, from what I'm reading, it will be the same overrated shit, BVS may be bad, but, at least it is way different from MOS, while MOS has no similarities with the TDK trilogy, and how about Marvel? Their movies are divided between: Overrated shits (Avengers 1, Cap 2, GOTG), and, hated shits (Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Avengers 2).

I'm DONE with this company.

Anyway, are you going to the previews of CW? I'm going to buy my ticket today!!  

LOL

I'm serious, I don't think I'll see it. If it were months ago I would because I watched everything, but now I don't have time. Last movie I saw in the cinema was 10 Cloverfield Lane on opening day, it was 13 days ago.

Finally watched 10 Cloverfield Lane, and, wow, finally a great movie! It's so good to see that we can still go to cinema and have some surprises while watching a movie, tense from the beggining till the end, I don't remember watching a thriller so good as this one!

But.... The movie is not perfect at all, I read a lot of complaint about the movie being not a movie, but, just an episode, and, I have to agree, I would divide the movie in two: there's the thriller one, that works perfectly well on it's own, but, the sci-fi one only works if you're into the Cloverfield World, and, a movie needs to work without depending of previous movies, if you haven't watched the first movie, you won't understand this movie at all..

It's Hardy to judge this, if I would judge as a horror fan that already knew the Cloverfield Universe, I would give an A+, because the movie works in the two ways, as a thriller and as a sci-fi, but, as a casual viewer, I would say that only half of the movie works.

• Like 1

It seems to be a bit weaker in my relatively small town than BvS as well, nothing sold out at the local movie theater that I could see yet but there are some dubbed(argh) showings almost sold out on Thursday and Saturday. We've got 2 midnight showings from Wednesday to Thursday in my local theater and they each have about a dozen tickets sold only so far. BvS had those half sold  by the Sunday before the showings so I will see if they sell well this weekend.

I'm seeing it on Sunday myself, I can't go any earlier for personal reasons, sadly. I wish I was going to one of those midnight showings.

31 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

It seems to be a bit weaker in my relatively small town than BvS as well, nothing sold out at the local movie theater that I could see yet but there are some dubbed(argh) showings almost sold out on Thursday and Saturday. We've got 2 midnight showings from Wednesday to Thursday in my local theater and they each have about a dozen tickets sold only so far. BvS had those half sold  by the Sunday before the showings so I will see if they sell well this weekend.

I'm seeing it on Sunday myself, I can't go any earlier for personal reasons, sadly. I wish I was going to one of those midnight showings.

What's your country?