Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

Brazil wasn't till last year. That's why we're having so many protests.

Still, I'm not sure you can call that "a crisis" given the economy is still growing, even if much slower than before. It's nothing compared to what we underwent in Europe.

Still, I'm not sure you can call that "a crisis" given the economy is still growing, even if much slower than before. It's nothing compared to what we underwent in Europe.

Yeah, compared to the rest of the world it's not really a crisis. However, to a country that was used to grow more than 5% a year, growing 0.9% it's not good. 

And there's another problem: inflation. You don't know how much people are scared of it in here. Before Lula's government inflation was, like, 10% a month, and now that's growing again, Dilma's popularity is dropping like a rock.

Edited by Wally

Yeah, compared to the rest of the world it's not really a crisis. However, to a country that was used to grow more than 5% a year, growing 0.9% it's not good. 

Of course, it's not an easy change. But I think Brazil can have an impressive growth again given it has untapped oil reserves, a young population, it can improve a lot in education and infrastructure. The potential is huge.

And there's another problem: inflation. You don't know how much people are scared of it in here. Before Lula's government inflation was, like, 10% a month, and now that's growing again, Dilma's popularity are dropping like a rock.

I heard about that, I recently read about pizza prices in the world, and Rio de Janeiro has the world's most expensive pizza : $30 (it's $12 in most of US cities), and products like smartphones are much more expensive than in the US. I read something about Brazilians going massively in the US to buy as much things as possible given it's clearly cheaper there.

I heard about that, I recently read about pizza prices in the world, and Rio de Janeiro has the world's most expensive pizza : $30 (it's $12 in most of US cities), and products like smartphones are much more expensive than in the US. I read something about Brazilians going massively in the US to buy as much things as possible given it's clearly cheaper there.

everything has gazillions of taxes here, an iPhone 5 16GB cost $1.1k for example

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

why the rich would have a different income tax from the others?

Because they can afford to pay a higher tax than the poor. I think Brazil has to try to lower prices for consumer goods by lowering the sales tax. However they should increase the income tax rate on the middle-class and the rich. Brazil needs to try to get more money to invest in infrastructure, education, etc. These investments create jobs and new opportunities. The problem that is plaguing Brazil has a lot to do with their tax code. Everyone in Brazil wants better infrastructure, but it seems like they don't want to sacrifice anything in order to get better hospitals, train stations, etc. You simply can't get better stuff while not pitching in anything. I'm looking at the Ministry of Finance income tax reports. And the income tax might be way too low. The highest earners only pay 27% in income tax. No wonder why everything costs so much in Brazil, because the government uses the sales tax to pay for itself. I think the taxes on the extremely wealthy should be atleast 40%, not the 27% they currently pay. And the tax rate should get lower, by the smaller income.

Because they can afford to pay a higher tax than the poor. I think Brazil has to try to lower prices for consumer goods by lowering the sales tax. However they should increase the income tax rate on the middle-class and the rich. Brazil needs to try to get more money to invest in infrastructure, education, etc. These investments create jobs and new opportunities. The problem that is plaguing Brazil has a lot to do with their tax code. Everyone in Brazil wants better infrastructure, but it seems like they don't want to sacrifice anything in order to get better hospitals, train stations, etc. You simply can't get better stuff while not pitching in anything.I'm looking at the Ministry of Finance income tax reports. And the income tax might be way too low. The highest earners only pay 27% in income tax. No wonder why everything costs so much in Brazil, because the government uses the sales tax to pay for itself. I think the taxes on the extremely wealthy should be atleast 40%, not the 27% they currently pay. And the tax rate should get lower, by the smaller income.

Poor should pay taxes, like 5% of their income, because the poor can vote, and a lot of them like higher taxes on middle class, rich and firms only because they know they won't pay, they would hesitate much more if they had to.. It's one of the biggest mistakes of the Western world

• Like 1

Because they can afford to pay a higher tax than the poor. I think Brazil has to try to lower prices for consumer goods by lowering the sales tax. However they should increase the income tax rate on the middle-class and the rich. Brazil needs to try to get more money to invest in infrastructure, education, etc. These investments create jobs and new opportunities. The problem that is plaguing Brazil has a lot to do with their tax code. Everyone in Brazil wants better infrastructure, but it seems like they don't want to sacrifice anything in order to get better hospitals, train stations, etc. You simply can't get better stuff while not pitching in anything. I'm looking at the Ministry of Finance income tax reports. And the income tax might be way too low. The highest earners only pay 27% in income tax. No wonder why everything costs so much in Brazil, because the government uses the sales tax to pay for itself. I think the taxes on the extremely wealthy should be atleast 40%, not the 27% they currently pay. And the tax rate should get lower, by the smaller income.

they can, but they should? After all, the poor are the ones that uses public services, not the rich. I think it's extremely wrong and selfish charge higher taxes from the riches, the ones that invest in the country. Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

Poor should pay taxes, like 5% of their income, because the poor can vote, and a lot of them like higher taxes on middle class, rich and firms only because they know they won't pay, they would hesitate much more if they had to.. It's one of the biggest mistakes of the Western world

exactly

they can, but they should? After all, the poor are the ones that uses public services, not the rich. I think it's extremely wrong and selfish charge higher taxes from the riches, the ones that invest in the country.

Most European countries, even the ones that aren't in a crises have high taxes. And guess what, they are doin pretty good. Their infrastructure is up to date and their standard of living is pretty high. I hate the theory that it's only the rich that invests in the country. It always a combination of the government, middle class and the rich. When the government builds a hospital, guess what that creates jobs. And other infrastructures also. I also support a 5% tax on the poor, and maybe raise it a couple of percentages if the Economy slows down.

Most European countries, even the ones that aren't in a crises have high taxes. And guess what, they are doin pretty good. Their infrastructure is up to date and their standard of living is pretty high. I hate the theory that it's only the rich that invests in the country. It always a combination of the government, middle class and the rich. When the government builds a hospital, guess what that creates jobs. And other infrastructures also. I also support a 5% tax on the poor, and maybe raise it a couple of percentages if the Economy slows down.

why the fuck the riches should pay more for something that they don't use? Because all services controled by government are shit, the middle class and the riches always use private services.