Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

giphy.gif

In family friendly BrazilDory rode to $7.1M for the best Disney or Pixar animated opening ever, almost twice the previous record held by The Good Dinosaur. The film is running gill-to-gill withMinions for the No. 1 all-time animation debut record with both title’s carrying local currency estimates of 23M reals.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 7

Comparisons : OW of animated movies in local currency

Finding Dory : R$23m

Minions : R$23m

Madagascar 3 : R$15.2m

Despicable Me 2 : R$13.7m

Ice Age 4 : R$13.5m

The Good Dinosaur : R$12.1m

Shrek 4 : R$11.3m

Frozen : R$9.7m

Zootopia : R$9.5m

Tangled : 7.6m

Toy Story 3 : R$4.5m

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

That's great for Dory, will it beat Minions total? :popcorn:

No, it's unlikely : Ice Age 5 will be released on July 7, a juggernaut!

However it will crush the previous Disney / Pixar movies with ease!! :lol: It's already a victory to see a Pixar movie being so high :P

Guesstimate : Dory's OW in admissions should be around 1,650,000 admissions ;)

It's pretty  likely to beat Finding Nemo in admissions (4.7m) and it is sure to beat The Good Dinosaur (3.6m).

Edited by Fullbuster

In 4 days Dory already beat these animated movies :

How To Train Your Dragon : R$21.9m

Dinosaur : R$20.4m

Garfield The Movie : R$19.5m

Up : R$19.4m

Cars : R$19.1m

The Simpsons: R$17.1m

Ratatouille : R$16.6m

Over the Hedge : R$15.5m

Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs : R$13.7m

Monsters Inc : R$13.6m

Monsters vs Aliens : R$13.5m

Ice Age : R$13.3m

Bee Movie : R$11.8m

Stuart Little : R$11.7m

Shrek : R$10.5m

Wall-E : R$10.1m

Stuart Little 2 : R$9.9m

Lilo & Stitch : R$9.8m

Alvin and The Chipmunks : R$9.6m

Horton Who : R$8.9m

Garfield 2 : R$8.9m

Happy Feet : R$8.4m

Pokémon The Movie : R$5.8m

• Like 3

By the way:

ME BEFORE YOU
New Line/MGM/Warner Bros’ teen tearjerker picked up a further $12.2M in international play on 5,200 screens in 44 markets. The cume cume to date is $83M. Spain launched to $616K from 255 screens, coming in 16% below main comp, The Fault In Our Stars. After last week’s strong start, Germany dipped just 11% for $2M and a $6.8M cume. Brazil‘s 3rd weekend also added $2M, from 717 screens, and ranking No. 2. The drop was 29% for a total thus far of $11.4M. Russia bows next weekend.

http://deadline.com/2016/07/tarzan-independence-day-resurgence-secret-life-of-pets-finding-dory-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-china-international-box-office-weekend-results-1201782497/

YA material still winning over here apparently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arlborn said:

Most impressive legs of the year!

I'm shocked : the exchange rates really improve, from $1 = R$3.38 on June 22 to R$3.23 on July 1.

This is the result of actions by the new government, liberalizing trade and implementing austerity measures. The Wall Street Journal even wrote an article on it, advising investors to buy Reais and expecting further improvement.

The ER is still terrible but at least things are normalizing and 2017 could benefit from a more bearable ER. Now we're almost back to where the ER was when Avengers 2 came out, this rate was bad enough to stop it from reaching $50m (47m), $16m behind Avengers 1 despite it clearly beat it in local currency. But still, that will help and that's welcome.

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

Everyone : I totally reorganized the first page of this thread and all the data, it's much more readable now, please don't hesitate to visit it. HERE :

Great work! :)

A few things:

Are you going to include the fourth Hunger Games movie?

Is it possible to include local currency in the growth statistics of the markets? ($ seems to change things in that case) But only if it's not to much :)

With 171M admissions there isn't at least one admission per person per year yet (so probably still much potentail for growing), but: Do you (or anybody else) know if moviegoing is affordable for many Brazilians?

Edited by Aristis
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Aristis said:

Great work! :)

A few things:

Are you going to include the fourth Hunger Games movie?

Is it possible to include local currency in the growth statistics of the markets? ($ seems to change things in that case) But only if it's not to much :)

With 171M admissions there isn't at least one admission per person per year yet (so probably still much potentail for growing), but: Do you (or anybody else) know if moviegoing is affordable for many Brazilians?

If you're talking about the Latin America list you did well, I completely forgot THG3&4 in this list o_o

I will add them later this day, I must hurry because I'll be very busy from tonight on.

As for including local currencies in the numbers about the size of the Latin American markets that would be hard because I don't have them and don't know how to get them....I just know that Brazil was worth R$2,3B in 2015, +17% over 2014 and that Russia was worth 48 billion rubles in 2015, +4% over 2014.

However the numbers in USD are still very valuable because they help to compare every market.

Indeed, that's what makes the market very interesting : fast-growing but clearly underdeveloped, the potential is huge because on the long term it could become twice to thrice bigger than Japan, or similar to 2015's China but without all the restrictions imposed by the dictatorship so it's very promising for Hollywood.

Moviegoing isn't affordable there, apart from students and kids benefitting from greatly reduced prices.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1

On 11.4.2012 at 8:40 AM, Fullbuster said:

BRAZIL BOX OFFICE REVENUES

2006 : $351m

2007 : $360m

2008 : $369m

2009 : $490m

2010 : $637m

2011 : $727m

2012 : $732m

2013 : $795m

The Brazil BO revenues grew by 126% in 6 years, an impressive growth.

I meant lists like this were the growth is shown :)

On 4/11/2012 at 2:40 AM, Fullbuster said:

Comic Admissions

The Avengers Age of Ultron : 10 117 028

Captain America Civil War : 9,597,000

BRAZIL - TOP 10 IN ADMISSIONS

Titanic : 17.7m

Jaws : 13m

Tropa de Elite 2 : 11.2m

The Avengers : 10.97m

Dona Flor e Seus Dios Maridos : 10.7m

The Towering Inferno : 10.38m

Twilight Breaking Dawn part 2 : 10.29m

Ghost : 10m

E.T the Extraterrestrial : 9.4m

Ice Age 3 : 9.29m

@Fullbuster  Shouldn't AOU and CW be added to the Top 10 all time admissions?  And I didn't see it any where on the front page but how many admissions did FF7 have?  Does it also break into the Top 10?

Edited by TalismanRing

52 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

@Fullbuster  Shouldn't AOU and CW be added to the Top 10 all time admissions?  And I didn't see it any where on the front page but how many admissions did FF7 have?  Does it also break into the Top 10?

Yeah indeed, but these lists are quite time-consuming so I don't update them on a regular basis. Sometimes I have a lot of free time but sometimes  I have to leave these forums for several weeks given I'm too busy so I do what I can ^^"

FF7 got 9,845,000 admissions

the updated list is :

BRAZIL - TOP 15 IN ADMISSIONS

Titanic : 17.7m

Jaws : 13m

Os Dez Mandamentos : 11.26m

Tropa de Elite 2 : 11.20m

The Avengers : 10.97m

Dona Flor e Seus Dios Maridos : 10.7m

The Towering Inferno : 10.38m

The Avengers 2 : 10.12m

Ghost : 10m