Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

FERDINAND
Fox’s gentle-giant bull headed to the China shop this session, opening to $8.7M at No. 3 and leading western titles there. In all this frame, the Blue Sky Studios pic added $17.5M in 58 markets. There were some strong holds including in France (-3%/$14.8M cume), Brazil (-21%/$7.17M) and Spain (-28%/$8.76M). The international total is now $155.7M with more play to come.

What I read about the Brazilian Market is not for all movies but most of them have a less than 50% weekend drop when most other countries including those in Latin America can have over a 50% drop. For instance here are these:

Spider-Man: HomecomingSony$5,462,934 -38.8%

LoganFox$5,810,356 -34.6%

Captain America: Civil WarDisney$7,477,742 -37.6%

The Fate of the FuriousUPI$8,970,366 -30.8%

Why is Brazil unique in most movies including blockbusters not having a huge second weekend drop?

Edited by manny1234
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, manny1234 said:

What I read about the Brazilian Market is not for all movies but most of them have a less than 50% weekend drop when most other countries including those in Latin America can have over a 50% drop. For instance here are these:

Spider-Man: HomecomingSony$5,462,934 -38.8%

LoganFox$5,810,356 -34.6%

Captain America: Civil WarDisney$7,477,742 -37.6%

The Fate of the FuriousUPI$8,970,366 -30.8%

Why is Brazil unique in most movies including blockbusters not having a huge second weekend drop?

I honestly don't have any answer to this, probably a cultural reason.

• Like 1

Judges Uphold Lula's Graft Conviction, Scrambling Brazilian Presidential Race

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/01/24/580223609/judges-weigh-lulas-appeal-with-big-consequences-for-brazils-political-future

:bourne:

The Brazilian Real strongly increased and the ER is the best since last summer, I guess markets loved this lol

17 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

Judges Uphold Lula's Graft Conviction, Scrambling Brazilian Presidential Race

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/01/24/580223609/judges-weigh-lulas-appeal-with-big-consequences-for-brazils-political-future

:bourne:

The Brazilian Real strongly increased and the ER is the best since last summer, I guess markets loved this lol

And the Euro is at its strongest in 3 years, that's also good for many movies :)

Brazil performed better than expected in 2017

The IMF in January 2017 forecast that Brazil would only grow by 0.2% in 2017. Full year figures have not yet been published, but the Brazilian economy expanded by 1.4% y/y in the third quarter of 2017, following a 0.4% y/y gain in the second quarter and better than the consensus forecast of 1.3%. It is the fastest growth rate since the first quarter of 2014, boosted by a jump in household consumption spending and exports.

And 2018 should be pretty dynamic so the ER could benefit from it, particularly with a weakened USD :)

• Like 1

On 23/01/2018 at 5:24 PM, Fullbuster said:

MY FORECASTS

MAZE RUNNER 3: $13m

PADDINGTON 2: $12m

FIFTY SHADES 3: $20m

BLACK PANTHER: $25m

For what it's worth...

Paddington 2 at 12 million sound too high for me.

I personally never heard of Paddington outside of this forum and I've never seen a kid talking about this character.

18 hours ago, Apollo2xx said:

Paddington 2 at 12 million sound too high for me.

I personally never heard of Paddington outside of this forum and I've never seen a kid talking about this character.

Possible, Brazil is SOMETIMES unpredictable so who knows?

2 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

REMEMBER :

Maze Runner 3 is now released in Brazil, let's see how it performs compared to previous installments.

MAZE RUNNER 1: $7.3m

MAZE RUNNER 2: $6.9m

This one wouldbe lucky to reach $10m in the end.

• Like 1

On 17/01/2018 at 8:18 PM, Fullbuster said:

Brazilian films suffer big drop at local box office in 2017

Brazilian films sold fewer tickets last year, although the total box office revenue in the country, BRL$2.7b ($844m), represented an increase of 4.7% over 2016.

For lack of a big entry, such as The Ten Commandments - The Movie, which broke the record for admissions (selling 30.1 million in 2016), Brazilian films sold 18.5 million tickets last year, indicating a fall of 38.5%.

As a result, the box office of local films dropped 28.7%, grossing BRL$252,9m ($79m), despite the number of Brazilian titles released being practically the same of the previous year: 154 features films.

“The recession that Brazil has been suffering finally reached the cinema. It stopped the lower social classes from going to the movies, mainly to see Brazilian films and mid-budget movies,” says Paulo Sergio Almeida, director of Filme B, the local theatrical tracking firm which compiled the latest figures.

According to Filme B, local productions accounted for a market share of 10% in 2017, when the general number of admissions fell. The country registered 183 million tickets sold, a drop of 1.5%, compared with 2016.

Cesar Rodrigues’ My Mom Is A Character 2, starring TV and theatre comedian Paulo Gustavo, bucked the trend, after grossing BRL$89.2m ($27.8m) last year. Adding revenue from the end of 2016, the film’s total rises to BRL$124.2m ($38.8m).

The comedy attracted an audience of 6.5 million spectators in 2017 (9.3 million in total), which was a performance far superior to the other Brazilian films listed among the most viewed. My Mom Is A Character 2 is followed in the ranking by the only three films that surpassed the one million admissions: Polícia Federal - A Lei É Para Todos (1.38 million), Os Parças (1.3 million) e DPA - Detetives do Prédio Azul (1.2 million).

BRAZIL BOX OFFICE TOP 10 OF 2017

(Figures in US dollars)

• 1. The Fate of the Furious - $41.7m
  • 2. Justice League - $41m
  • 3. Beauty and the Beast - $40.6m
  • 4. Despicable Me 3 - $39.3m
  • 5. Wonder Woman - $ 34.2m
  • 6. Spider-Man: Homecoming - $32m
  • 7. Thor: Ragnarok - $31.2m
  • 8. Logan - $28.5m
  • 9. My Mom Is A Character 2 - $27.8m
  • 10. The Shack - $22.4m

https://www.screendaily.com/news/brazilian-films-suffer-big-drop-at-local-box-office-in-2017/5125582.article

AND NOW WE FINALLY HAVE THESE NUMBERS

With 4.7% the market still grew at a healthy pace, but it's also the slowest growth in a decade, the terrible recession hitting the country finally reached the movie market.

@Tower @Blaze Heatnix @Napoleon @EduardoMoraes @Apollo2xx

REMINDER for those who missed it.