Purple Minion

Mexico Box Office | Kongzilla repeats on top, Civil War and Abigail underperform

NOVEMBER 22ND-24TH WEEKEND. ELSA & ANNA CONQUER A NEW RECORD FOR WALT DISNEY ANIMATION STUDIOS AND SECOND BEST NOVEMBER BOW. MALEFICENT SPENTS ITS SIXTH CONSECUTIVE WEEKEND ON THE TOP 3. FORD V FERRARI SPEEDS UP TOWARDS AN INCREDIBLE SECOND WEEKEND.

Frozen 2

- Beats Ralph Breaks the Internet by 32.8% and sets a new opening record for Walt Disney Animation Studios. It’s the 8th best opening for an animation –not counting The Lion King- overall.

- Second best first frame for November only behind 2017’s Justice League.

- Besides Jumanji: The Next Level in 3 weeks there’s no other competition until Spies in Disguise in 5 weeks so it could leg well through the way into the holidays and go over $500M and surpass Maleficent: Mistress of Evil as the 8th highest grosser of the year.

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil

- Second movie in the year to spend 6 consecutive weeks on the Top 3 after Dreamworks’ hit How To Train Your Dragon 3 which always took a spot in the 1-2-3 through February and  two weeks of March.

- Despite opening on par with Dumbo now is ahead of it by 16%, talk about legs. Is looking to finish $100M (17.8%) behind first Maleficent.

# MOVIE WEEKEND % CHANGE TOTAL (MXN) TOTAL (USD) ADM. TOTAL ADM.
1 Frozen 2 $167.3   $167.3 $8.62 2.7 2.7
2 Ford v Ferrari $17.5 -26,47% $60 $3.10 237.8K 867.3K
3 Maleficent: Mistress of Evil $10.8 -53,24% $480 $24.96 197.8K 8.9
4 Playing with Fire $6.6 -52,51% $59.8 $3.07 123.6K 1.2
5 Midway $5.9 -41,00% $23.5 $1.22 85.62K 379.2K
6 Doctor Sleep $5.5 -50,89% $64.7 $3.34 81.7K 1.1
7 Zombieland: Double Tap $4.4 N/A $45.7 $2.25 82.5K 823.8K
8 Addams Family $4.3 -67,91% $164.5 $8.53 79K 3.4
9 Terminator: Dark Fate $4 -59,59% $125 $6.50 71.3K 2.2
10 Placa de Acero $4 -54,54% $19.6 $664K 77.4K 408.4K

This Friday opens: Guadalupe-Reyes, Mary, Killerman, Niebla de Culpa, A Rainy Day In New York and Wild Rose.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

What a great number for Frozen 2¡ This was what we needed to end the bad streak during November... now if it can have real legs during the whole month and get it to 550M that would be awesome¡ Hahaha.

So If my numbers are correct we have already passed the 17B mark (so 2019 has ALREADY the record for yearly income) but considering we're only left with 5 weekends and only Jumani as the big player I'm not sure it will be enough to pass the 18.5B mark by year's end (unless I have something wrong in the numbers), even it's sad we didn't get higher still a great year, right? Do you really think 2021 can come close to that???

Have you heard anything about Guadalupe Reyes? I was reading someone saying it can be a sleeper hit, I'm just thinking about 25M but by now who knows??

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, carlsalf said:

Guadalupe Reyes

:hahaha:

Is it like The Hangover in diciembre? Placa de acero did horribly, so it'd be great for local movies to have a good end of the year.

We can also hope TROS has a decent performance because of the hype of being "the last one". 400M lc would be nice.

Edited by Purple Minion

On 11/26/2019 at 4:52 PM, carlsalf said:

So If my numbers are correct we have already passed the 17B mark

$17.6B. Your goal should be safe B)

On 11/26/2019 at 5:00 PM, Purple Minion said:

Is it like The Hangover in diciembre?

Kind of :lol: It's right on time for the holidays.

On 11/26/2019 at 5:00 PM, Purple Minion said:

We can also hope TROS has a decent performance because of the hype of being "the last one". 400M lc would be nice.

Wish it could pull that off. But there's no much room to grow from The Last Jedi.

Knives Out is opening limited this weekend only at VIP locations before its wide expansion next week. You should check it out @carlsalf. Saw it at Morelia and really enjoyed it. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Carlangonz said:

$17.6B. Your goal should be safe B)

Hehehe. MY goal¡ Just wishful thinking but yes... if we're already at 17.6B then 18.5B is basically locked up... and with the lucrative December corridor ahead anything can happen¡¡ 

Kind of :lol: It's right on time for the holidays.

Have you noticed is the last Mexican movie of the decade that could be big? It's the last push for Mexican Cinema (comercially speaking of course) as the 10's are basically over...

Wish it could pull that off. But there's no much room to grow from The Last Jedi.

I'm not a hardcore fan of Star Wars but I'm a real fan (I went to see the Prequels at midnight and own the original trilogy) but after The Last Jedi my interest in seeing this has really diminished. I will see it (cause I have to...) but I'm in no rush to do it. I'm not seeing 400M either even if is being labeled as "the end of an era"

Knives Out is opening limited this weekend only at VIP locations before its wide expansion next week. You should check it out @carlsalf. Saw it at Morelia and really enjoyed it. 

I bought tickets for this one when it was in Cinepolis. I REALLY wanted to see it but due to conflicting scheduling I wasn't able to attend to but yes... of course I will see it if not this weekend then the next one. Did you see Parasite, it really blew me away. I think it can easily be my favorite movie of the year (without Avengers in the title).

• Like 2

On 11/28/2019 at 9:09 AM, carlsalf said:

Have you noticed is the last Mexican movie of the decade that could be big?

That would be good for an already great year for local films. 

On 11/28/2019 at 9:09 AM, carlsalf said:

Did you see Parasite, it really blew me away. I think it can easily be my favorite movie of the year (without Avengers in the title).

Saw in there too. Loved it, was hypnotized by it. 

12 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

Good second weekend for Frozen 2 total now $17.0M (about 330M lc). Should become #1 WDAS movie by next Friday.

5th best second weekend for an animation behind the Pixar juggernauts (Toy Story 4, Coco, Toy Story 3 and Incredibles 2). 

It's behaving just like Ralph Breaks the Internet last year but the gap is supposed to get bigger on favor of Elsa & Anna as there's no competition in sight -besides Jumanji in two weekends- unlike Ralph which dealt with Grinch (3rd weekend), Aquaman (4th weekend), Bee (4th 1/2 weekend). Let's see where is headed. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

5th best second weekend for an animation behind the Pixar juggernauts (Toy Story 4, Coco, Toy Story 3 and Incredibles 2). 

It's behaving just like Ralph Breaks the Internet last year but the gap is supposed to get bigger on favor of Elsa & Anna as there's no competition in sight -besides Jumanji in two weekends- unlike Ralph which dealt with Grinch (3rd weekend), Aquaman (4th weekend), Bee (4th 1/2 weekend). Let's see where is headed. 

Could it keep its good legs during christmas time? Can it get 550+ lc?

36 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

Actuals for Frozen 2: 99M lc 2nd weekend, really good hold, total is a nice 325.7M lc.

Another week in the Top 5 for Maleficent 2, it should reach 500M lc.

Stellar PSA for Knives Out on limited opening 👀 Promising for its expansion on Friday. More on it later. 

Joker now out of Top 10 passes $855M. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1