Purple Minion

Mexico Box Office | Inside Out 2 opens to mind-blowing $30.2M, 2nd highest 4-day lc OW ever!

5 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

@Purple Minion @Carlangonz, how are pre-sales looking for Jujutsu Kaisen Movie 0?

They've really picked up on the final days on second tier cities. 1st tier cities were already quite busy since sales started. I do believe Sony screwed it a bit by releasing a dubbed version this weekend because demand is larger for sub shows; even in 2nd and 3rd tier cities where dubbed shows are the norm this time those one are nearly empty while sub shows are packed.

Expecting $10M-$12M for the 4-Day. It could overperfom but still not seeing it close to Mugen Train ($19M) unless they add sub shows (or switch some of the dubbed ones to sub)

I'm not familiar overall with anime so I'm not sure I'll see it but some friends are fans of it and probably drag me to it lol 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

They've really picked up on the final days on second tier cities. 1st tier cities were already quite busy since sales started. I do believe Sony screwed it a bit by releasing a dubbed version this weekend because demand is larger for sub shows; even in 2nd and 3rd tier cities where dubbed shows are the norm this time those one are nearly empty while sub shows are packed.

Expecting $10M-$12M for the 4-Day. It could overperfom but still not seeing it close to Mugen Train ($19M) unless they add sub shows (or switch some of the dubbed ones to sub)

I'm not familiar overall with anime so I'm not sure I'll see it but some friends are fans of it and probably drag me to it lol 

Thanks for the update!! I was expecting Dragon Ball Super Broly numbers. Though, now I think it's impossible.. Hopefully, I expect it to grow in coming days and outgross Demon Slayer Mugen Train!!!

Also, do not miss the show when you have the chance to watch in big screen !!! 🌼

1 hour ago, Issac Newton said:

Thanks for the update!! I was expecting Dragon Ball Super Broly numbers. Though, now I think it's impossible.. Hopefully, I expect it to grow in coming days and outgross Demon Slayer Mugen Train!!!

Oh no. Dragon Ball is on a level on its own; nothing comes closer. That should change in the next 5 or so years tho, it's becoming a little bit like an eastern version of Potter in here; still connects with demos in their 20s-30s but is losing steam drawing younger generations. Can't tell which is going to be its successor; it could go either way to Demon Slayer or Attack on Titan. Jujutsu Kaisen or something else could join the battle as well.

• Thanks 1

On 3/23/2022 at 3:36 PM, Carlangonz said:

Oh no. Dragon Ball is on a level on its own; nothing comes closer. That should change in the next 5 or so years tho, it's becoming a little bit like an eastern version of Potter in here; still connects with demos in their 20s-30s but is losing steam drawing younger generations. Can't tell which is going to be its successor; it could go either way to Demon Slayer or Attack on Titan. Jujutsu Kaisen or something else could join the battle as well.

Maybe the comeback of Dragon Ball Super could stop this trend? Here in Brazil DB is still highly popular even with under-20 demo.

7 hours ago, Flamengo81 said:

Maybe the comeback of Dragon Ball Super could stop this trend? Here in Brazil DB is still highly popular even with under-20 demo.

I mean, it'll be huge for sure. Its demo is still massive as it's the biggest (20-40) but it's also a matter that right now anime is way more popular and diverse here compared to the 90s or 00s so I believe it could still find a new audience but not as massive as in those times. It's strong enough to remain at the top but I don't think it'll be the only one at the top.

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 1

I hadn't noticed Sonic is holding Wed night previews at 7:00 on the 6th. Secrets of Dumbledore will have a 5-Day opening starting on the 13th.

I guess studios will follow this for their big openers:

• Wednesday openings. Warner Bros, Sony, Universal
  • Thursday openings with night previews on wed. Disney, Paramount
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

But they are losing money with lower ticket rates in matinee shows. Unless they drop matinee prices for Previews.

Eventually they will slash off those prices. I'm putting an example but I'll do it here since is something specific of this place but I'm sure has happened for other markets.

There's not a particular reason for inflation on ticket prices to have been so high the last couple of years. But one of the factors is that prices for matinees and weekdays are practically gone; even Cheap Wednesday is virtually gone. 

• Prior to 2014 there were much more ways to attend. Higher prices were during weekends and on weekdays after 6 pm (incl holidays). Some theatres not only had matinees but special prices for shows between 3 pm and 6 pm which were more expensive than matinees but cheaper than regular post-6pm shows. Wednesdays always had been the days for cheaper tickets in all formats and both chains have had loyalty programs that offer 2x1 (for any format incl VIP and IMAX) on Tuesdays and a special combo (2 regular tickets + Large popcorn + 2 large sodas for less of what the single concessions cost) on Mondays 
  • Back in 2014 exhibitors along all distributors except Disney (even tho they eventually did it for Age of Ultron) agreed to hold 4-Day openings during breaks (Spring Break/Holy Week, Summer, Winter) and on holidays (third week of march, May 1st, Sep 16th, third week of november, etc). After this Thursdays now adjusted to the prices of weekends and prices for those "sandwiched" schedules were slashed off from theatres where they existed
  • Now during pandemic exhibitors have decided to slash off matinee prices for the whole week. After agreeing to move openings to Thursdays they're basically allowing themselves to pull similar moves to those in 2014 which they're already doing and they're pulling 5-Day openings but not they're not limited to certain seasons or weekends of the year but to any release they want.
  • Moving releases for big titles on Wednesday basically vanishes cheap wednesday because even counter-programmings -doesn't matter if they're new titles or holds- benefit from spillover. And considering matinees are gone as well then the only way for people to attend to cheaper shows is to join a loyalty program from either chain and attend on Mondays or Tuesdays

Hopefully this won't be as bad in US/CAN because there's actual competition in exhibition and with attendance in all-time lows they can't afford these type of strategies but I can see them pulling tricks to ensure prices as high as possible.

• Like 2

Tremendous performance by JJK0 @Issac Newton It did beat Mugen Train 4-Day! Let's see if it gets an extension and potentially an IMAX release

The Batman does seems to finish above both Aquaman and Batman v Superman in lc to become the 2nd highest result for WB. In admissions shall be a little below Dark Knight Rises and Justice League.

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Weekend [24th-27th]

1.  Batman - $36.2m // $577.1m
  2.  JJK 0 - $25.5m [OW] 
  3.  The Bad Guys - $21.5m // $63.7m
  4.  Ambulance - $10.4m // $34.2m
  5.  El Protegido - $4m [OW]
  6.  Uncharted - $2.9m // $132.5m
  7.  A Ciegas - $2.3m [OW]
  8.  Blacklight - $2.2m // $25.8m
  9.  Belfast - $1.3m // $5.1m
  10.  The Exorcism of God - $1.1m // $32.5m
Edited by Shanks
  • Like 6

13 hours ago, Flamengo81 said:

The Batman numbers in Mexico are really impressive (here in Brazil is too). Maybe the sequel could do gangbusters?

Sequels to SHM usually do well if they keep the same tone. With the rising ticket prices, The Batman Two could go higher than Joker in lc and get the DCU crown, but it will be tough to reach the same audience... The Batman may not even make it to 10 million.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Purple Minion said:

Sequels to SHM usually do well if they keep the same tone. With the rising ticket prices, The Batman Two could go higher than Joker in lc and get the DCU crown, but it will be tough to reach the same audience... The Batman may not even make it to 10 million.

Reach same audience ?

Ive heard the toy story franchise is a pretty big deal in mexico

Are they also changing the voice actor for buzz for lightyear

Ive head the original buzz's dubbed latam voice, its great, wll changing it have a big effect in the box office?