Purple Minion

Mexico Box Office | Inside Out 2 opens to mind-blowing $30.2M, 2nd highest 4-day lc OW ever!

On 4/28/2023 at 3:52 PM, Carlangonz said:

(T-6 OPENING DAY, T-5 PREVIEWS)

Perisur - 915/5,592 (16.36% ocuppancy) +16.26% from T-8

Buenavista - 1,035/6,525 (15.85% occupancy) +18.02% from T-8

(T-2 OPENING DAY, T-1 PREVIEWS). OD + PREVIEWS

Perisur - 1,247/5,592 (22.3% ocuppancy) +36.28% from T-6, +22.01% from T-4

Buenavista - 1,472/6,525 (22.56% occupancy) +42.22% from T-6, +28.11% from T-4

Similar to US we're need stronger walk-ups than any other CBM from last and this year in order to end in the high end of range. Previews does seem to be settling within $15M-$20M due to lack of capacity and (hopefully) less fan-rush. 

Comps will be useless until tomorrow but so far everything remains pointing to $2.2M +/- $0.2M

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Carlangonz said:

(T-2 OPENING DAY, T-1 PREVIEWS). OD + PREVIEWS

Perisur - 1,247/5,592 (22.3% ocuppancy) +36.28% from T-6, +22.01% from T-4

Buenavista - 1,472/6,525 (22.56% occupancy) +42.22% from T-6, +28.11% from T-4

Similar to US we're need stronger walk-ups than any other CBM from last and this year in order to end in the high end of range. Previews does seem to be settling within $15M-$20M due to lack of capacity and (hopefully) less fan-rush. 

Comps will be useless until tomorrow but so far everything remains pointing to $2.2M +/- $0.2M

What did Ant-Man do OD + previews?

1 hour ago, Purple Minion said:

Bloody hell. Mario almost grossed the same yesterday as US/Canada! 

Monday, dom: $2.16M

Monday, Mexico: $2.09M *est

I really can't believe Mario's 4th Monday may be on par with Guardians 3's first 1.5 days. Really tells a lot about each of them and current status of their respective brands

Speaking of Universal: massive initial show count for Fast X. May be the largest count since Multiverse of Madness.

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 2

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL 3 - PREVIEWS (T-0 DAYS)

In order to get more data for future releases I expanded the current sample to 8 locations that cover most of Mexico City and metro area. These locations vary on their formats, language, audience and even time offer so they're a good starting point for upcoming releases. I'll see how they can adjust and either remove them for most releases and leave them only for big tentpoles as a 'tie-breaker' or completely replace them for other nearby.

Occupied seats

Total seats

Occupancy (%)

Perisur

59.66%

Buenavista

70.29%

Las Antenas

60.59%

Satélite

41.38%

Parque Toreo

58.58%

Cd Jardin

55.13%

Las Américas

26.97%

Cosmopol

65.31%

Five of these locations are among Top 20 most attended complexes in the country and they're quite different between each other. Three of them offer IMAX, five of them 4DX, two Screen X, five of them Junior auditoriums, two PLFs and four VIPs/dine-in.

As for historical comps and how they're currently tracking

Perisur

Comp

Occupied seats

Total seats

Occupancy (%)

Comp in lc

Wakanda Forever

67.41%

$15.3M

Love & Thunder

61.23%

$17.41M

Buenavista

Comp

Occupied seats

Total seats

Occupancy (%)

Comp in lc

Wakanda Forever

82.08%

$22.43M

Love & Thunder

72.18%

$23.21M

As expected comps remain pointing towards high 10s to low 20s with Love & Thunder's as a most appropiate in terms of occupancy. Perisur grew a whopping 28.1% in the last 24 hours and Buenavista a modest 19.3% but the truth is that both are capping since only Perisur opened a new VIP show which filled in pretty quick.

From above comps' three locations got a similar growth as Perisur and other three grew similar to Buenavista so let's go for high 10s and well just over $1M and an extra $0.1M-$0.2M

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 2
  • Heart 1
  • Thanks 1

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL 3 - OPENING DAY INCL PREVIEWS (T-1 DAY)

Occupied seats

Total seats

Occupancy (%)

Perisur

25.66%

Buenavista

22.19%

Increase came a bit more muted than in previous days even considering Perisur added a whole screen to it. Casuals may are being careful with reception before rushing into getting tickets so that could mean better walk-ins.

Perisur

Comp

Occupied seats

Total seats

Occupancy (%)

Comp in lc

Multiverse of Madness

53.30%

$50.17M

Love & Thunder

19.50%

$38.24M

Buenavista

Comp

Occupied seats

Total seats

Occupancy (%)

Comp in lc

Multiverse of Madness

65.64%

$47.10M

Love & Thunder

32.12%

$43.28M

Unfourtunately I don't have any comps from either Quantumania or Wakanda Forever for this one and The Batman was a full OD without previews which aims to low to mid 30s which would aim to Quantumania territory. 

Multiverse of Madness was a bit inflated by spillover from previews, fan-rush and a part-holiday and Love & Thunder had no much going for it so WOM damaged it pretty quickly. 

Reception from critics is mixed-to-positive but bloggers and youtubers seem to be enjoying it and saying the 'dark' stuff isn't much hard so I think audiences are going to eat it quite good.

Opening Day incl. previews - $42M-$46M ($2.3M-$2.6M)

Opening Weekend - $170M-$180M ($9.5M-$10.05M)

Super Mario Bros eyes a $65M-$75M fifth weekend. New record and may surpass Endgame this very Sunday.

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I thought Fast X would be getting a full 5-Day opening but it's going for a 4-Day with Wed night previews starting at 7:00PM so comps are going to be appropiate. In some locations is getting over double of preview screenings than those of Guardians.

I won't start counting until Monday but I'll take a look on Fri at main locations to get an idea of how might go.

• Like 1

Not seeing increase in shows from tracked locations and overall not significant among major markets.

However walk-ups definitely exploding. Previews coming in the higher end of $1.2M. On par with Quantumania with a potentially better WOM.

If I read this correctly

Previews pre-sales were 47% of Thor & actuals look like will be around 50%.
OD pre-sales (not inc Previews) were 66% of Thor. So perhaps M$28M OD without previews. M$50M overall.

also the 5th is a holiday. So hoping 
45-50
50 // 195-200

Edited by charlie Jatinder

7 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

If I read this correctly

Previews pre-sales were 47% of Thor & actuals look like will be around 50%.
OD pre-sales (not inc Previews) were 66% of Thor. So perhaps M$28M OD without previews. M$50M overall.

also the 5th is a holiday. So hoping 
45-50
50 // 195-200

I'm going for higher previews and lower Thu but yeah full OD + Previews quite like $45M-$50M. Quantumania pretty much was a mirror of Love & Thunder so I'm expecting this to behave like Wakanda Forever and deliver an internal multi around 4x. 

Also 5th is a part-holiday because it's neither an official or bank holiday. Some kids in lowest grades are off for the day but everything is quite normal so perhaps lower figure and definitely bigger for Sunday.

Just now, Carlangonz said:

I'm going for higher previews and lower Thu but yeah full OD + Previews quite like $45M-$50M. Quantumania pretty much was a mirror of Love & Thunder so I'm expecting this to behave like Wakanda Forever and deliver an internal multi around 4x. 

Also 5th is a part-holiday because it's neither an official or bank holiday. Some kids in lowest grades are off for the day but everything is quite normal so perhaps lower figure and definitely bigger for Sunday.

Will suggest you to do comps differently for Previews & THU. Combining them will make the calculations more in line with how previews are looking.

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Will suggest you to do comps differently for Previews & THU. Combining them will make the calculations more in line with how previews are looking.

Yeah is actually why I added more locs to avoid any skew in future releases. Current comps work fine for things that are going to be big anyway but I'm expecting them to be different for stuff like Dune II or Indy 5 so hopefully by that time I already got everything combined.

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 2

On 5/3/2023 at 3:25 PM, Carlangonz said:

Love & Thunder

72.18%

$23.21M

Spot on. $1.32M looking towards $2.8M opening day incl previews. 

Pretty good WOM from what I've seen. Consensus does seems to agree it's Marvel's best since Endgame.

Weekend should nab low to mid $11M opening. In lc right in the middle between Wakanda Forever and Quantumania. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

Spot on. $1.32M looking towards $2.8M opening day incl previews. 

Pretty good WOM from what I've seen. Consensus does seems to agree it's Marvel's best since Endgame.

Weekend should nab low to mid $11M opening. In lc right in the middle between Wakanda Forever and Quantumania. 

Nice. Hopefully it can have some good legs before Fast X comes.

8 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Nice. Hopefully it can have some good legs before Fast X comes.

Now I think Disney messed up with the release and should've moved up the release a week earlier. It would've benefited so much from May 1st.

• Like 1

Strong first day of sales for Fast X. Previews placing at 22% from Guardians' final count in similar locs. 

One out of the sample delayed presales so is removed from sample. I'm expecting it to be a remarkable strong location for it. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Carlangonz said:

Strong first day of sales for Fast X. Previews placing at 22% from Guardians' final count in similar locs. 

First 30 hours of sales

1531 sold/15448 total available. 

0.26 of Guardians of the Galaxy 3 -  (T-0 Days) 

VIP dubbed and 4DX-3D most occupied shows so far. Let's see how much it moves across the weekend and with the Guardians/Mario combo and get back on Monday.

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1