YM!

Inside Out 2 | June 14, 2024 | Biggest animated movie of all time! We aren’t Pixover but Pixulling Back!

18 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Director Enrico Casarosa denies it, which is either a lie or hilarious obviousness 

To be fair, when Luca was created, Disney doesn't seem to be on its "avoid gays" phase yet (in fact, I think they were trying to capitalize on the "first gay kiss"). So, I think the director could be honest and hilariously oblivious.

After all, we still had Strange World in 2022 with an openly gay protagonist..

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah, i’m convinced the movie the movie supposed to have a gay lead was Luca. That movie is queer coded to death, even without any explicit line about it, it still feels like it. Amazing movie too, really sad to think it could’ve a very different project if it wasn’t released in streaming. 

And it makes sense for Elio as well. Shi said he was supposed to have a conflict with his mother with voice work from America Ferreira, but now he lives with his aunt with voice work from Zoe Saldana. I’m confident it’ll be a good movie, but the whole thing was very weird including pushing it’s gay director to other project.

Yeah it is way gayer than anything in Lightyear and Strange World even though those movies have explicit queer characters. It’s not surprising that Luca has a pretty big gay following and those other films that have apparently caused all this controversy among the most annoying corners of the internet do not. 

It’s interesting that Molina has stuck around at Pixar to helm what is almost certainly Coco 2. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Luca is basically Challengers for children but without the sexy eurodisco soundtrack and the queer kiss.

Luca circa 2021: "It's CMBYN for kids!"

Luca circa 2024: "Pixar made G-rated Challengers 3 years before it was released!"

What an influential icon to modern cinema that Guadagnino is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Kon said:

To be fair, when Luca was created, Disney doesn't seem to be on its "avoid gay" phase yet (in fact, they were still trying to capitalize on the "first kiss gay"). So, it's possible the director is being honest.

After all, we still had Strange World in 2022 with an openly gay protagonist..

The discussion was mainly because of the whole Don’t Say Gay situation involving Chapek.

Pixar employees dropped an open letter about it with this weird info in it: 

We at Pixar have personally witnessed beautiful stories, full of diverse characters, come back from Disney corporate reviews shaved down to crumbs of what they once were. Nearly every moment of overtly gay affection is cut at Disney’s behest, regardless of when there is protest from both the creative teams and executive leadership at Pixar.” 

This was like 9 months or so after Luca release. That’s why many think (and i tend to agreed) it was probably the main movie that Disney intervened. It wasn’t just about the character being openly gay, it’s that the whole story reads as a metaphor for queer lives in society. 

But anyway, trying to get back on IO2, this open letter only shows how the Disney requests are nothing new, they’re probably just more aggressive than ever, which is sad.

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

The discussion was mainly because of the whole Don’t Say Gay situation involving Chapek.

That was in early 2022 and I think it brought critical eyes on Turning Red which was new at the time. There is slight innuendo for one of the characters in Turning Red being queer and some storyboards seem more forthright. But yes Luca is also a one to consider. Maybe they were both affected 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

Yeah it is way gayer than anything in Lightyear and Strange World even though those movies have explicit queer characters. It’s not surprising that Luca has a pretty big gay following and those other films that have apparently caused all this controversy among the most annoying corners of the internet do not. 

It’s interesting that Molina has stuck around at Pixar to helm what is almost certainly Coco 2. 

You’re probably right, i love Luca like it’s my child and i kinda hate everything about Lightyear haha. 

And yes, Docter did said they take Molina from Elio to work in a way bigger top project for them. My bet is in Coco 2 as well, and i think there’s a +1B grosser there very easily. Hoping for the best, he’s talented and at least they didn’t fired him with all this mess.

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Re:working 7 days a week. While it sucks it's not unheard of in animation. In the 90s at WDAS the motto was "if you don't come in on Saturday, don't bother coming in Sunday"

The animation industry is a house of cards. The reason terrible working conditions have been able to go on as long as they have is because without them, the industry would fall apart. But recently, it's become just too much on animators, and they want better pay, no AI, and a guarantee they won't be outsourced.

I mean, there's a reason why we don't get films akin to Beauty and the Beast or The Prince of Egypt these days, despite constant articles and posts online asking for a return to 2D-animated studio features. To properly animate them with no crunch, and proper treatment and pay for all animators, would cost much more than studios are willing to pay. Hell, the only 2D films we really get are from that one Irish studio it feels like. And don't they get money from their government to make those films?

• Like 1

Not to derail the thread with Moana 2 talk but can't imagine the time crunch WDAS is on to deliver that film on time.

If Pixar was under that much pressure just from Lightyear imagine the pressure WDAS is under from multiple failures in Strange World & Wish and now with Inside Out 2 being as successful as it has been.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Just now, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Not to derail the thread with Moana 2 talk but can't imagine the time crunch WDAS is on to deliver that film on time.

Iirc, Moana 2 was a small TV Show for D+ that Disney suddenly decided to morph into a theatrical movie like a year or so before release lol. 

I think things is probably even worse in Disney Animation, the whole thing was very weirdly quick. Curious if it can work.

• Like 1

Not to offend anyone but I think this letter just shows money talks. 

I think the fact Inside out 2 played it so safe and generic worked wonders box office wise cause if making any decent large film costs 200-400 million bucks now you cant make content that does not appeal super wide I feel. 

I think we seeing studios backtracking on content not out of politics but out of just financial need.

Like be honest I remember was a tv show on A&E called Live PD...they cancelled it and they lost half their audience overnight...in the end these studios and media companies want to make money. 

• Knock It Off 1

20 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Re:working 7 days a week. While it sucks it's not unheard of in animation. In the 90s at WDAS the motto was "if you don't come in on Saturday, don't bother coming in Sunday"

Also, this article ironically makes Lord/Miller look even worse than before because, for all its faults, Pixar still tried to manage the situation while all these were going on and you could even argue that the entire studio was in massive anxiety due to concerns of what might happen next if Inside Out 2 doesn't succeed. What's Lord and Miller's excuse?

Edited by Block-Busted

They were working on that show for awhile, I'd think turning it into a movie would've been relatively less labor-intensive, mostly a matter of editing into a 90-100 minute narrative. They also already seem to be well into Zootopia 2. Yeah, Moana 2 is an obvious cashgrab but I also think it was a way for the studio to pull back and get their bearings before investing in any more possibly ill-fated original risks.

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Iirc, Moana 2 was a small TV Show for D+ that Disney suddenly decided to morph into a theatrical movie like a year or so before release lol. 

I think things is probably even worse in Disney Animation, the whole thing was very weirdly quick. Curious if it can work.

The whole let's make a Moana sequel and have it be a D+ series was just stupid. Moana is one of their most beloved and biggest hits. It should have been a theatrical movie from the very START. Just bad planning

But with Strange World and Wish bombing so hard, those failures forced their hand. They needed a hit FAST.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Arlborn said:

Large corporations fuck up everything, fucking hell. Absolutely disgusting.

Love of money truly is one of the biggest evils in the world, the source of many of them as well.

I get your concerns but Inside out 2 was a surefire hit for Disney and they were able to make a decent story without focusing on her sexuality.

I can get it seems bad, but if they focused on Riley being a lesbian, they would lost out of 100s of millions in revenue. 

• Knock It Off 1

5 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

The whole let's make a Moana sequel and have it be a D+ series was just stupid. Moana is one of their most beloved and biggest hits. It should have been a theatrical movie from the very START. Just bad planning

But with Strange World and Wish bombing so hard, those failures forced their hand. They needed a hit FAST.

Yeah it was insane how they actually believed the future was on D+. 

I can’t envision any other studio deciding to spend 150M in a TV Show as a follow up for such a beloved and massive movie.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I mean, there's a reason why we don't get films akin to Beauty and the Beast or The Prince of Egypt these days, despite constant articles and posts online asking for a return to 2D-animated studio features.

90s WDAS was a grind to work for but also made hand drawn blockbusters. Sadly I think the real reason why these movies aren't made anymore is because audiences genuinely don't want them anymore. Maybe if Princess and the Frog was a different movie altogether but they blew it and now it's a niche art form