YM!

Inside Out 2 | June 14, 2024 | Pixar does it again!

5 hours ago, cannastop said:

Pete Docter is right though: Pixar movies shouldn't be remade into live action and if Inside Out 2 failed, they'd have to really change things.

As someone who really dislikes the Disney live action remakes, I 100% agree. They simply don't have the charm of the originals.

what we are seeing here is the oldest conflict in the film business: Art vs Commerce. That will never end.

Fact is, they need each other. The Artist makes the prodcut the public pays to see; but for some reason most artist..probably because they are not that interested in it (there are exceptions, of course) don't deal well with the business side of filmaking.

It is very easy to cheer for the artists and boo and namecall the "suits" in real life it is a lot more complex.

Disney is a good example; Disney as a company never would have survived without Roy, Walt's older brother. He actually ran the studio and handled the business end on a day to day basis, leaving Walt free to make his movies. Roy never got invovled with the creative process beyond cautioning Walt when a project was looking to be really, really, expensive. Walt,though a genius, was apparetnly a lousy business  man. IMHO it is time for Roy to get a statue somewhere at the Disney land parks.

Edited by dudalb

4 minutes ago, european1992 said:

This is the first movie in months that I cannot wait to see. Pretty excited for it.

Studios thought Fall Guy or Furiosa was the official start of summer, but it was actually Inside Out 2.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Maaatt said:

To be fair I don’t think Docter was saying the goal is to focus mostly on sequels (or prequels/spin-offs), he said the current strategy is to have a “balance” of sequels and originals, more like an even split between the two. So there will be more of a focus then recent years but that doesn’t mean most of their focus.. And as i think someone else on this board has pointed out, this isn’t exactly a new strategy for them, Pixar leadership going back a decade or so had indicated a desire for the studio to have an output that would be around a 50/50 split between originals and sequels/prequels/spin-offs. If we look at their output between 2010 and 2019 they had 11 features and of those 11 most of them were sequels (or prequels), with 7 of the 11 being non-originals. This last several years starting in 2020 saw a more original heavy focus, with Lightyear being the only non-original.

But yeah I agree with your point that turning their backs on originals completely or mostly is not a sustainable business model. I think thats also true for live action movies. You need to keep taking risks on new material cause some of that new material can be your “IP” or franchises of tomorrow. Franchises and IP are obviously important to a studios financial well being in the current environment.. but franchises can grow stale, audience tastes can change and when that happens you wanna have a fresher franchise there thats still performing that you can fall back on (and the money you make on those franchise hits helps fund the ability to take risks on originals which are more difficult to market and are never guaranteed to break through).  

Yeah this has been part of the Pixar playbook for a long time. Ed Catmull 10 years ago said the balance between originals and established IP was the balance between being "boutique" and "artistically bankrupt" respectively. I don't know if making original per se is "boutique" but w/e

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Studios thought Fall Guy or Furiosa was the official start of summer, but it was actually Inside Out 2.

Which once agains proves the eteran truth of what the great screen writer-novelist William GOldman said working over 30 years in the film industry taught him about it:

NOBODY KNOWS NOTHING.

Live action movies of Bug's life, Monsters Inc, and Finding Nemo seem like living nightmares that would melt brains.

Only Incredibles might work, but losing the animation would get rid of its specialness and it would just feel like another MCU film.

Trying to picture a live action Inside Out or Elemental... and nope.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, AniNate said:

A "live action" Wall-E sequel might work, like the bots are still CGI but the humans are healthy and live action

Nah, a main reason the films works is we only see Humans via the 'Found Footage:.

18 minutes ago, AniNate said:

A "live action" Wall-E sequel might work, like the bots are still CGI but the humans are healthy and live action

That was always weird to me as a kid. Do you just become so fat that you turn into a Pixar character? I feel like that would encourage kids to get fat lol

It does feel like a logical step in Andrew Stanton 's filmography, already went back on his word making a sequel to his other Pixar movie and he's been working in live action tv the last decade.

Probably has helped to keep the IP pure that there are so many more guaranteed and lucrative mines for Pixar to exploit. Do think any kind of sequel to that would still be a flop risk.

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Did it, though? Post 2016 we got Coco, Onward, Soul, Luca, Turning Red, Lightyear (original story based on pre-existing character), and Elemental. Next year we still have Elio.

Also, I don't know if I'd call 8 years "anytime soon." And the pandemic kinda forced their hand to make a film they knew would turn heads. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, AniNate said:

In what way? That article is from nearly 8 years ago. Pixar did go on a long run of originals, 4 of their last 5 films. And you can’t really say they rushed out IO2. It’s been 9 years since the first. Sequels to Ratouille and Wall-E haven’t happened or been announced. 

I don’t think milk is meant to last over 7 years. 

I suspect they had this idea on the backburner not long after the original made bank, ready for a time of crisis like a pandemic and a massive flop. Per their claim, ideas go through half a decade of development and it is a concept ripe for episodic installments.

Andrew Stanton basically admitted as much re Dory when John Carter tanked

Edited by AniNate

7 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I suspect they had this idea on the backburner not long after the original made bank, ready for a time of crisis like a pandemic and a massive flop. Per their claim, ideas go through half a decade of development and it is a concept ripe for episodic installments.

Andrew Stanton basically admitted as much re Dory when John Carter tanked

I don't know if I believe it's the same as Dory, if only because Inside Out 2 isn't being used as any individual's safety net. While I enjoyed Dory more than most, Finding Nemo didn't have anything more that needed to be said that wasn't. Same with Bird and Incredibles 2. It felt like more of the same. At the very least, it feels like Inside Out 2 brings much more to the table at first glance.

22 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

And the pandemic kinda forced their hand to make a film they knew would turn heads. 

I'd like to know when Inside Out 2 was greenlighted. I mean the fastest movie from pitch to being finished was Turning Red (4 years or so). So I really don't know if this was done for that reason, outside of a general desire for familiar IP.

20 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

In what way? That article is from nearly 8 years ago. Pixar did go on a long run of originals, 4 of their last 5 films. And you can’t really say they rushed out IO2. It’s been 9 years since the first. Sequels to Ratouille and Wall-E haven’t happened or been announced. 

I don’t think milk is meant to last over 7 years. 

ANd hopefully they won't be; neither seems good sequel materail for me, Wall-E in particular.

And that is a major problem we have with sequel mania: a lot of films are getting sequels where the film itself is simply not good sequel material.