Eric the Fall Guy

Priscilla | A24 | November 3, 2023 | Sofia Coppola-directed biopic about Priscilla Presley

I know the reason as to why (his estate wouldn't allow his music to be used in a movie that doesn't portray him in the most flattering light), but it still felt odd and distracting that a movie with Elvis front and center featured none of his songs.

Also didn't think much of Elordi's performance in this either tbh. He certainly looks much more like the actual The King than Austin Butler did but I think the latter did a much better job of exuding why he cast such a captivating spell on so many (even within that movie's script limitations), Elordi just comes off as someone who picked Elvis as their Halloween costume. Hopefully I like his performance in Saltburn more.

Elordi 

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I know the reason as to why (his estate wouldn't allow his music to be used in a movie that doesn't portray him in the most flattering light), but it still felt odd and distracting that a movie with Elvis front and center featured none of his songs.

Also didn't think much of Elordi's performance in this either tbh. He certainly looks much more like the actual The King than Austin Butler did but I think the latter did a much better job of exuding why he cast such a captivating spell on so many (even within that movie's script limitations), Elordi just comes off as someone who picked Elvis as their Halloween costume. Hopefully I like his performance in Saltburn more.

Butler's Elvis is so overrated. Elvis had an easy high voltage smile and was always at ease with himself, Butler feels so much more restrained like he watched Christian Bale in Batman Begins too many times. 

Dim, dull and lifeless: wasn't a fan. I get what Coppola was going for with the lighting and the exaggerated height difference and Priscilla's meekness, but it just fell flat for me. I hadn't even seen the other adaptation of Elvis and Me yet (a 1980s TV miniseries) but felt underwhelmed leaving the theater. The low verified audience scores are completely unsurprising.

And now that I have watched the same story told another way, I'm even less impressed with this movie. Congrats to Cailee Spaeny on the Volpi Cup, but IMO Sofia could've given her so much more to do.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl