Eric the Fall Guy

Bones and All (2022)

Bones and All (2022)  

5 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

Maybe watching this directly after Fabelman's was a bad idea LOL I thought this was way, way too weird for my taste and couldn't get into at all. It feels way too try hardish trying to be edgy, they could have used any type of issue in place of being a "feeder" but went with cannibalism, which the film portrays as genetic?? They literally just cant stop eating people and it feels really insincere. 

Never want to see this again. The actress  who plays Merin, Chalamet and the dad from Dunkirk are all good, though Dunkirk Dad's characters final piece of the movie feels extremely forced to try to bring about the ending we should all see coming a mile away. 

IDK it's well acted and has great production values but I think the story is a try hard mess. 

Edited by excel1

With its juxtaposition of intimate, beautiful framing and deeply macabre subject matter, there is no doubt that Luca Guadagnino’s Bones and All is a strange film that is unafraid to take chances – and for the most part, it is successful with them. Though it takes a little bit of time to get going and sometimes wanders a little too long in its protracted 131-minute running time, it is a visually striking film that also raises compelling ideas about the predicament its leads find themselves in and the consequences that could spring from it. The obligatory gnarly cannibalistic scenes are there, but Guadagnino is ultimately more interested in exploring what this condition does to those affected with it. For cannibalistic “eaters” like Taylor Russell’s Maren and Timothee Chalamet’s Lee, life will never be straightforward nor easy; though they get glimpses at normalcy through parts of their road trip with one another, those flashes of happiness come with the nagging reminder that the compulsion to feed on human flesh will ultimately keep them isolated. Whether one reads it as “elevated horror” using cannibalism as allegory (for, say, addiction) or just takes it at face value, it lends the film a powerful intellectual edge that more than makes up for the loose nature of its plot progression. Russell and Chalamet are also both very good in their respective roles, and their chemistry with one another sells the relationship in convincing fashion. There’s also solid work from a stacked supporting cast, including a few deeply creepy scenes from Mark Rylance, a short but cleverly played appearance from Chloe Sevigny, and a masterful cameo from Michael Stuhlbarg that features a haunting monologue whose presence hangs over the rest of the film. Though it wanders perhaps a bit too much at points, Bones and All works as a beautiful and haunting character study that feels daring even by arthouse horror standards. 

B+

This did little for me unfortunately. Parts of it work well but overall I found it to be rather dull despite all the gore. I didn't read the book so I don't know if my issues here are really with the source material (some of the dialogue in particular is Razzie-worthy). Or perhaps Luca Guadagnino just wasn't the right person to adapt it. I thought Timothee Chalamet (reuniting with the director for the first time since his star-making performance in Call Me by Your Name) was fine but this isn't one of his better performances, but Taylor Russell is very good. Mark Rylance brings the creeps. I really wanted to like this but came away disappointed. C+