kayumanggi

THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE | 787.0M overseas | 1362.0M worldwide

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

you are talking about OW right. with 4.8 OD and 9.4 Maoyan it should have a good run. 50m+ finish should happen right. 

That's total. OD is on a big holiday day, rest of the week's PS combined wasn't as big as it IIRC, it was even down to 4th below titanic on sat. But since the scores are high who knows, maybe they'll pick up.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

That's total. OD is on a big holiday day, rest of the week's PS combined wasn't as big as it IIRC, it was even down to 4th below titanic on sat. But since the scores are high who knows, maybe they'll pick up.

Running through out the day, It will be above Titanic at #3. Behind Suzume &Hachiko but when Ride On debut it will lose 80% of it's sessions &for tomorrow it has already lost 40% of Sessions

• Like 2

44 markets Wednesday

70 markets Friday

7.95M Asia Pacific including sneaks

CHINA, 4.95M

▪︎ number 3 in the market after Suzume and Hachiko

▪︎ biggest OD for Hollywood animation since the pandemic

▪︎ second-biggest OD for a studio title in 2023

▪︎ above MINIONS: THE RISE OF GRU (+42%) and THE SECRET LIFE OF PETS (+43%), both Friday openers

▪︎ in line with ALADDIN and INCREDIBLES II

▪︎ 9.4 score on Maoyan, the best for a Hollywood animation in the last five years

▪︎ Maoyan currently predicts a 20M finish

AUSTRALIA, 1.1M

▪︎ 62% of the total market

▪︎ first day gross is more than 5× second-placed JOHN WICK IV

▪︎ biggest OD of the year

▪︎ best Illumination OD ever

▪︎ top animated April start of all time

▪︎ above the standard OD of FROZEN II, INCREDIBLES II, FINDING DORY, THE JUNGLE BOOK, ALADDIN, TOY STORY IV, and more than double MINIONS

HONG KONG, 700K

▪︎ biggest OD of 2023

▪︎ biggest OD for any Universal animation

▪︎ biggest April animation OD ever

▪︎ in line with the opening Thursday of MINIONS

▪︎ above the opening Thursdays of INCREDIBLES II, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, and TOY STORY IV

NEW ZEALAND, 66K

▪︎ 47% of the top 10

▪︎ 2nd biggest OD for Illumination

▪︎ in line with the opening Thursday for SING II, and above MINIONS and MINIONS: THE RISE OF GRU

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

That's interesting. Will contribute to this market getting less and less attention. 

Nah, Market won't be getting less attention if you see things outside Hollywood. The Market is still big and have great potential. Just doesn't look going well only for Hollywood Movies Overall for 2023. Other Imported films are doing fine numbers.

There are Japanese/Taiwanese/Cantonese Works that has run successful in Pandemic China. Even, remake of Japanese Film "Hachiko" is doing better numbers &steal shows from others.

3 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

This is a new phenomena. We used to have many leggy hollywood blockbusters in pre covid era. I guess either the local movies are way better plus the audience who go to movies now have different tastes. 

Another big factor could be with US/China relationships at doldrums, audience have soured on hollywood blockbusters. That said them accepting Japanese movies seem ironical as scars of WWII are still there when it comes to Japan/China relationship. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Another big factor could be with US/China relationships at doldrums, audience have soured on hollywood blockbusters. That said them accepting Japanese movies seem ironical as scars of WWII are still there when it comes to Japan/China relationship. 

May be you are not aware but Only Political Relations are strain between Japanese &Chinese Government. Just like how Japanese Film are performing in China, Chinese Film did similar in Japan. Eg. 2 films of Red Cliff crossed ¥5B Milestones - ¥5.05B &¥5.55B respectively in Japan 

But, after Senkaku Islands / Diaoyudao Islands / Diaoyutai Islands Dispute, for 3 years there wasn't any exchange of culture. Soon, when Chinese Government lifted the banned, Stand By Me Doraemon became the highest grossing Non-English Imported film/Anime Film with ¥530M back in 2015 when Ticket Booking Charges aren't considered as part of Box Office, later on next year, Your Name took the title with ¥577M. China has been continuously contributing atleast more than $10M for maximum Japanese Title among which Spirited Away took Ranking No.7 on Douban All-Time 100. Hollywood losing to Non-Hollywood Productions isn't uncommon at all .TS4 couldn't defeat Spirited Away & Guardian lost to Dangal....

China is really big when it comes to Japanese Film. Atleast, it promise a good run when critics recommend it. China is not US where fan following grows on opening and collapse terrible on 2nd. And that's the reason why Chinese Release matter more than US release.

Somedays back Sophie has also explained that Chinese Audience accepting Japanese Film isn't a recent event amid the crisis of poor Hollywood Movies but since 1960s *Cultural Invasion*

39 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

This is a new phenomena. We used to have many leggy hollywood blockbusters in pre covid era. I guess either the local movies are way better plus the audience who go to movies now have different tastes. 

003-EAci4gy1hc0fri9igej60u00s57wh02.jpg

The above charts speaks about the average ratings of Top 10 Local/Imported Films. Local Film overpowered Imported One from 2020 (6.59 vs 6.55). Difference grew on 2021 (6.8 vs 6.09) &2022 (6.91 vs 6.47). It's been improving since re-opening of Cinema 

• Knock It Off 1

9 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Nah, Market won't be getting less attention if you see things outside Hollywood. The Market is still big and have great potential. Just doesn't look going well only for Hollywood Movies Overall for 2023. Other Imported films are doing fine numbers.

There are Japanese/Taiwanese/Cantonese Works that has run successful in Pandemic China. Even, remake of Japanese Film "Hachiko" is doing better numbers &steal shows from others.

From studios and Hollywood BO fans, I mean. Hopefully this will be the final nail in coffin of studios ever trying to pander to CCP censors for increasingly niche returns. It's also quite the turnaround from the promise of pre-Covid days with $150m+ being easy money for so many properties (although I think the general leveling off in expectations was already underway when people were previously expecting it to take #1 market title within a few years).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jiffy said:

From studios and Hollywood BO fans, I mean. Hopefully this will be the final nail in coffin of studios ever trying to pander to CCP censors for increasingly niche returns. It's also quite the turnaround from the promise of pre-Covid days with $150m+ being easy money for so many properties (although I think the general leveling off in expectations was already underway when people were previously expecting it to take #1 market title within a few years).

This is the best part of china becoming relatively irrelevant for Hollywood. They dont have to say remove Simi Liu bcos China will frown. 

16 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

Hopefully this will be the final nail in coffin of studios ever trying to pander to CCP censors for increasingly niche returns.

"This year the censorship of films in China was more easy because a new mayor of China film association called 毛羽 said that the market should earn about ¥60 billion in 2023 so that foreign films will enter into China more easily."

Market was open with lesser censoring of Content. Not sure from where you are getting that Hollywood Film are decaying because of Censorship. 

18 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

It's also quite the turnaround from the promise of pre-Covid days with $150m+ being easy money for so many properties

None of 2023 Imported Titles have good Douban. Except D&D &Suzume - everything was below 7.0. Asking $150M for a poor reception film will look foolish. This isn't US where Critics are neglected. Both Audience &Critics Score must be good for a Successful Run in China.

25 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

(although I think the general leveling off in expectations was already underway when people were previously expecting it to take #1 market title within a few years).

Since Post Oct 2022, I have more hopes on China after they ease censorship. If things go well they can go back to No.1 Again.

27 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

From studios and Hollywood BO fans, I mean.

Well, it's too bad that you all just follow Hollywood Numbers because they can cross $1B and other language films has lesser or let's be real, not possible at all. Things haven't ended and I think M.I.7 gonna be promising if not affected by poor reception.

2 hours ago, Jiffy said:

I agree. Hollywood can always release their films there, but there are other developing markets to focus on like India, Southeast Asia, and South America.