baumer

Some tips for the game, including some things you need to know

Hey guys,

Instead of putting this in the first post, and running the risk of you guys missing it, I ma going to post some of the answers to some of the questions you have RIGHT HERE in it's own thread.

1) For the question about the best opening weekend world wide, remember, there is only one weekend a film opens world wide. So if Film A opens in 5 small markets two weeks before it launches in 55 markets, the opening weekend is the first weekend it opens outside of North America.

2) This is not something everyone follows, but especially for some of the new players, my advice is to remember that you have a pretty big range in which you don't lose points for guessing a films gross. I would keep that range in mind. For example, although I truly believe ASM will make less than 200 this year, I realize there is a chance WOM could carry it over 220. So instead of being stubborn and taking 195 (which is where i think it will land) I will take a number like 215, which will give me a cushion of 75 mill when you think about it. If it tanks, I don't think it will drop below 175 and if it does well, I don't think it will make more than 250. So that 215 is a very safe number. Some of these ideas can be the difference between getting points and losing points...it's kind of like laying up on a par 5 hold at Augusta....you can still make birdie, but not be stupid enough to go Eagle, even though it's very tempting to.

3) Rule Change:

For the WW opening weekends, this is now changing to:

Name the top 5 international Weekends.

So this means it is no longer OPENING WEEKEND, just weekend. The reason for the change is that I can't keep track of what films are opening in one market before they have their WW launch. So to make this easier, it will just be the 5 best WW opening weekends.

For example, if The Expendables opens in 3 markets first and grosses 10 mill on August 2nd, and then opens in 55 markets on August 17th and makes 345 mill for the weekend, this would obviously be one of your answers for the top 5.

4)

Tell me, of these five films, which one will be the lowest grossing of the summer. Only these five films can you choose from.

1) Diary of a Wimpy Kid 3

2) Savages

3) Tyler Perry's The Marriage Counselor

4) People Like Us

5) Seeking a Friend for the End of the World

Since The Marriage Councelor got pushed back, this question will only pertain to the other four films

I'll think of some more later.

RULE CHANGE

Name the top 5 WW Weekends.

So this means it is no longer OPENING WEEKEND, just weekend. The reason for the change is that I can't keep track of what films are opening in one market before they have their WW launch. So to make this easier, it will just be the 5 best WW opening weekends.

For example, if The Expendables opens in 3 markets first and grosses 10 mill on August 2nd, and then opens in 55 markets on August 17th and makes 345 mill for the weekend, this would obviously be one of your answers for the top 5.

Any questions?

Here was a question (and the answer):

Tell me, of these five films, which one will be the lowest grossing of the summer. Only these five films can you choose from.

1) Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2

2) Savages

3) Tyler Perry's The Marriage Counselor

4) People Like Us

5) Seeking a Friend for the End of the World

Since The Marriage Councelor got pushed back and replaced by Madea's Witness Protection (on an earlier date), does it also get replaced by it in the question? Or by some other movie? Or does nothing change?

Sorry if it's been asked already.

We'll just take out Tyler Perry's film and make it the four films.

Don't forget about your first SOTM question:

SOTM 1:

Which of these films will hit 100 million in the shortest amount of time? (days)

1) Dictator

2) The Expendables

3) Prometheus

4) That's my Boy

5) Rock of Ages

There are some caveats to this. First, more than one film could cross the 100 mill mark at the same time. If that happens, both/either films will be the correct answers.

Your answer is going to be in days. So if you think Prometheus will do it the quickest, in say 4 days, you will put Prometheus, 4 days (there is no deduction for putting the incorrect amount of days). Now, if Prometheus and another film cross in 4 days, you will still get full points for calling the correct film.

8000: Call the correct film to do so.

-5000: call the incorrect film

10,000: say none of these films will cross 100 mill this summer

15,000: say all of these films will cross 100 mill this summer

3000: abstain

For a 7000 point bonus, if you call the correct film, tell me the final gross of that film this summer. Get within 10 mill of the finish to get the bonus. There is no penalty for being off more than 10 mill.

Good luck.

This is due Wednesday May 2nd at 11:59 pm.

Question 12:Will TDKR and The Avengers combined make more this summer than the other top 5 films combined (domestic only)?Answer it correctly: 15000 pointsAnswer it incorrectly: lose 10,000 pointsChoose not to answer ( and you must state that you are not answering..failing to do so will automatically result in a loss of 10,000 points) 3000 points.The other top 5 films means positions 3-5 right?

Question 12:Will TDKR and The Avengers combined make more this summer than the other top 5 films combined (domestic only)?Answer it correctly: 15000 pointsAnswer it incorrectly: lose 10,000 pointsChoose not to answer ( and you must state that you are not answering..failing to do so will automatically result in a loss of 10,000 points) 3000 points.The other top 5 films means positions 3-5 right?

3-7....

RULE CHANGE

Name the top 5 WW Weekends.

Any questions?

No?

The weekly questions will usually be 12. Only for giant tentpoles will we have more. TDKR for sure and maybe...maybe Spiderman.

I won't have too much time for weekly questions and SOTMs so I hope I did all right in pre-season questions.I am taking charge after 3 weeks and it will be a 24/7 job.

24/7....that sucks...lol

The weekly questions will usually be 12. Only for giant tentpoles will we have more. TDKR for sure and maybe...maybe Spiderman.

I loved the crazyness with the weekly questions on the Harry Potter and Transformers weekends last year :lol:The Avengers deserved something like that. Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1