Eric is Quiet

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

31 minutes ago, AN9815 said:

Honestly I don't get the cinemascore for The Flash. I watched it yesterday and I thought it was quite solid and pretty entertaining. Sure there are things that can be improved, specially on the third act, but overall it is a good movie. Controversies aside, I don't think it is as divisive as Batman v Superman or Multiverse of Madness. 

I watched it twice - both in IMAX here in Singapore. Premiere had a lot of influencers, fans so thought the applause was expected.

Then yesterday at the IMAX showing where audiences actually had to buy tickets, reactions again was strong and lots of applause.

I genuinely thought it was a great movie, of course it has its flaws but I thought it would get an A- type of cinemascore (esp after watching Transformers.. gosh... that left a bad taste in my mouth). But maybe too high an expectations + too many good superhero films (GOTG3 and Spidey) in the last 1.5months or so... resulted in this CS score.

59 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Talking about CBMS .check OP.

MOM yes it wasn't well recieved . B+ CS is one of the lowest for the mcu and it had really shitty legs with basically no major competition till TGM. It has same CS at TLT which also wasn't well recieved . Like the movie and some don't like to hear this but it wasn't a well received movie by MCU standards

Yeah forgot about Loki but agree that was well recieved..

Once again  DS2 ,TLT, BPWF made had 100m+ profit, quantumania even after it's box-office may end up profitable.

Why is Disney making changes and slowing down production then???. 

Audience feedback on the quality of films (4 B CS ). The multiverse saga isn't being particularly excuted well and it has produced a considerable amount of mixed results enough to reduce audience enthusiasm in the franchise.

Yes, the quality is down, but I don't think they're slowing anything down. They're now releasing 3 instead of 4 in 2024 because of the writers strike, and they're releasing 3 again in 2025 because they moved KD to 2026, as they can't release movies releasing after KD before the KD

6 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Are studios expected to release updated more accurate 4 day estimates for the weekend today? Or, will they just release the actuals tomorrow?

They will update again today. ACTUALS by WED Morning per my time zone.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I do think we'll eventually see fatigue with multiverse and/or time loop stuff that seems pretty common now. But, it's not here yet. Can't have stuff as big as Spider Verse and say it is. But, eventually it'll kick in. It's too pervasive in blockbusters for people not to tire of it eventually here. It's one of the things that was refreshing about Guardians 3... It almost felt like a throwback. Ant Man 3, Spider Verse and Flash all feature it especially the later two but you feel it in Ant Man because with NWH and MoM, MCU is all in on it. And, because of the ending of Ant Man.

When is Loki Season 2?

October 6th!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I do think we'll eventually see fatigue with multiverse and/or time loop stuff that seems pretty common now. But, it's not here yet. Can't have stuff as big as Spider Verse and say it is. But, eventually it'll kick in. It's too pervasive in blockbusters for people not to tire of it eventually here. It's one of the things that was refreshing about Guardians 3... It almost felt like a throwback. Ant Man 3, Spider Verse and Flash all feature it especially the later two but you feel it in Ant Man because with NWH and MoM, MCU is all in on it. And, because of the ending of Ant Man.

When is Loki Season 2?

Wait, just reread this. This is coming from someone that did enjoy Ant-Man 3 more than the first two but have the franchise as it’s least favorite among the MCU: Other than Kang himself and the stinger, there is nothing in Ant-Man about the multiverse. Nothing. They are trapped in the quantumverse, which is sort of the opposite of going through multiple dimensions. The ‘multiverse’ doesn’t play any role on Quantumania, imho. And I say this as someone that understands all the criticism about VFX and how the third act feels incredibly generic.

18 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

I watched it twice - both in IMAX here in Singapore. Premiere had a lot of influencers, fans so thought the applause was expected.

Then yesterday at the IMAX showing where audiences actually had to buy tickets, reactions again was strong and lots of applause.

I genuinely thought it was a great movie, of course it has its flaws but I thought it would get an A- type of cinemascore (esp after watching Transformers.. gosh... that left a bad taste in my mouth). But maybe too high an expectations + too many good superhero films (GOTG3 and Spidey) in the last 1.5months or so... resulted in this CS score.

I think too many superhero films in general is an underappreciated reason for the soft or under performances we’re seeing. We’ve had something like 10 in the past 15 months and at least 4 more are coming in the second half of this year. I understand why, they have a big backlog to clear due to the pandemic, but IMHO it’s rapidly running the genre into the ground.

12 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

FWIW, all 3 Ant-Man films for me would be 7/10s. They feel like old school passable matinees, I find the character far more memorable in Endgame and even Civil War that he barely shows up than on any of his solo films. The idea of anchoring that franchise in the whole aspect of a family going into adventures was clever, but I never felt it got executed well. And I know that people praise that first film online a lot, but I never felt it. 

With that said, Jatinder ranking Ant-Man 3 over Guardians Vol 3 is funny lol.

27 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Wait, just reread this. This is coming from someone that did enjoy Ant-Man 3 more than the first two but have the franchise as it’s least favorite among the MCU: Other than Kang himself and the stinger, there is nothing in Ant-Man about the multiverse. Nothing. They are trapped in the quantumverse, which is sort of the opposite of going through multiple dimensions. The ‘multiverse’ doesn’t play any role on Quantumania, imho. And I say this as someone that understands all the criticism about VFX and how the third act feels incredibly generic.

The ending with Kang and that he's a character that was just featured in a multiverse setting in Loki. It's not like Spider-Verse or Flash but it's there. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

The ending with Kang and that he's a character that was just featured in a multiverse setting in Loki. It's not like Spider-Verse or Flash but it's there. 

I went on a two to three hours audio discussion about Ant-Man 3 and I kinda think that if anything, Quantumania needed actually more multiverse hijinks. I kinda enjoyed and this other hardcore Marvel fan friend of mine hated it, but we did came to a consensus: the main issue with the film other than the horribly subpar VFX was the lack of stakes. And I kinda feel that that film went through a lot of rewrites and they didn’t do the film any good. Sure, it’s sold as a ‘feels good’ MCU story after the bleak and somber Wakanda Forever, but that’s precisely my main issue with it.

Not sure if you remember, but Lang is depicted as a coward loser has-been that isn’t the ideal superhero that his daughter Cassie would wish he was. He is living off the laurels of saving the world in Endgame and clearly profited selling his memoir. At the end in the third act, in order to save his family, he send them to Earth 616 but he stays to fight Kang. I think that in order for Quantumania to work, in order for Kang to become a real threat, ending with Kang easily defeated by Ant-Man and Wasp wasn’t the way to go. It felt too safe, and it did a poor job showing how much of a threat Kang is, even if they show the whole Kang Council at the end. It almost feels like the film wants to go there, it wants to kill Scott Lang and show this as a redemption arc for Scott after Endgame. And yet it doesn’t. There are some online theories about how the Earth that Scott ends up at the end isn’t really Earth 616 and that the Kang council is still fucking with him but that reeks of wishful thinking and fan theories. I understand that ending with one hero dying has been done before with Endgame, but it never happened with a solo superhero MCU film, and with the whole aspect of legacy and the actual story in that film, I feel like that’s where the story needed to go. Sucks that they didn’t commit to it. The Avengers assembled once to avenge the death of Coulson. They assembling once again to avenge the death of Scott Lang was right there and it could be one hell of a cliffhanger. That’s my biggest peeve with that film, it actually seems to want to go there, but it doesn’t commit to it.

Edited by ZattMurdock

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I just finally caught the full trailer for TMNT Mutant Mayhem... Looks much better than I expected. Also didn't realize the co-director of Mitchell's vs. Machines is the director. If it's good, does it have potential to break out a bit? 

I actually think it has. A friend that I took to watch ATSV and isn’t a big superhero genre fan by any means showed me the trailer and said he was very excited to watch this once it was out. Del Toro also name dropped as one film to watch. It looks amazing. A lot of impressions are coming about the actual film that seems the studio is actually very confident with the film. It should be one to watch for sure.

• Like 1