Eric the IF

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

ezra-miller-flash.gif

Okay, let's get through this as quick as we can. The Flash and its box office potential has been a very contested and controversial topic. It was supposed to be one of the greatest comic book movies ever! It was supposed to be this mega giant hit because of all the cameos! Nobody cares about Michael Keaton as Batman! Ezra Miller is too toxic!

Everybody and their cat have their knives out against somebody here. So it's important first and foremost to lead into some ground rules and reaffirmations.

1. Yes, you can be positive or negative on the film's commercial prospects. So long as you don't insult others, condescend to those with a different opinion, etc. If you aren't being respectful to your fellow BOT members, you will see warning points and a possible threadban. No exceptions.

2. To DC fans, please don't take people disliking the film as a personal attack. Critics aren't purposely trying to be negative on the movie, many BOT users don't have an agenda when they say the movie looks bad. Just try to enjoy the ride and have a good time.

3. To DC haters, this isn't going to be an epic bomb or failure. It doesn't cost 200M, Michael Keaton isn't a nobody, people like his Batman, and we're going to get tons of DC movies for years and years to come. There's no need to be doom and gloom and start unnecessary trolling.

4. Fanboy Wars is not allowed unless absolutely necessary (comparing one film's box office to another as an example). We don't need some "Marvel rocks, DC sucks" stuff at any time, and we especially don't need it here. So if you want to do some petty fanboy nonsense, go somewhere else. As I always like to say, if you don't like how this forum's run, there's plenty of other areas to talk about Marvel movies, DC movies, and so on.

5. No spoilers, as per usual. Any spoilers revealed publicly here will result in a threadban. No exceptions.

We will have this thread locked until the first preview numbers come in. Thank you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Knock It Off 1

10 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros./DC’s The Flash per box office sources is playing like a deeper universe superhero movie with around $9M in Thursday night previews which began at 3PM. While the pic’s critical score on Rotten Tomatoes has fallen to 67% fresh from 71% fresh, audiences are enjoying it more at 88%. That’s a good sign.

https://deadline.com/2023/06/box-office-the-flash-elemental-ezra-miller-1235418741/

• ...wtf 1

Just now, Grebacio said:

So it's almost a lock Elemental and Flash do 100M combined?

If we assume the estimates from deadline are true over BoTs on.... then i don't think so? x11 multi for Elemenetal gets it to 38.5 but x6.5 for flash only gets it 58.5, kinda just pulled those multis out my ass but they'd only get it to around 95mil

• Like 1

I don't know about "much more"..   my guess would be $9.75 million tops.  Maybe they say $10M to sound better.  I think it's looking to be low $60s for the weekend.  Is that a failure? I wouldn't say it's a complete fail because again they are really just trying to make back most or all of what was spent here,  there's nothing about the future of DC coming out of this run or lack of run. 

I'll be interested to see more of what audiences think in the coming 2 days. 

1 minute ago, Relevation said:

That is a really healthy preview number for Elemental given what it was looking like from trackers. I’m feeling a 13-14x IM and $45-50M for the weekend.

Elemental opening that high compared to projections would be a win in my book considering how dire it was looking prior to this. I'll still believe when I see it BUT it's definitely a possibility now which is pretty crazy.