Eric is Quiet

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

7 minutes ago, Eric Prime said:

My dad loves watching Marvel movies because he likes seeing superheroes punch stuff for two hours. But the only three shows he watches are Mandalorian, Ted Lasso and reruns of The Big Bang Theory.

A man of taste.

Zaslav has had some good ideas in his run (he's basically left HBO alone, I don't think he's diluted the brand, plus he's a fan of theatrical) but overall I agree with @Cmasterclay that he's just not been a very good CEO. Unsettling the creative community with the Batgirl cuts without giving anyone a phone call, foisting an albatross on De Luca with the De Niro mobster movie to impress his Hamptons friends, hyping up the Flash to unrealistic levels so that "pretty good" reviews ended up disappointing, riding CNN down to historic lows in ratings and relevance through an ill-conceived pivot-to-the-middle, these were all completely unforced errors that ended up damaging some key part of their business, to say nothing of the times when him or his team just embarrasses the company (e.g. Max "creator" credits). And while I didn't love the name HBO Max, I'm really not convinced of the logic of making another confusing rebrand just a few years after launch. It's not great that after a week, only 70% of people signed up. 

He's a financial wizard but he's not a content or branding or vision guy. His brightest idea is, what, a ten year reboot of Harry Potter? And when WBD is finally sold for scraps to another company, the best we can hope for is that he'll take his big sack of cash and ride off into the sunset. 

Edited by Rageofthegods
  • Like 6

18 minutes ago, YM! said:

Tbh The Marvels has a more uphill battle in understanding on who is in there from streaming. Kamala and Monica just appear out of nowhere to the blind eye whereas Endgame and Black Widow introduced the eyes of Falcon being Captain America with old man Steve giving him the Shield and Yelena living up to Natasha’s legacy. Apart for Isaiah Bradley and Val, I don’t think any show characters from the show returning and they can be explained via exposition and don’t have powers to confuse.

My question is: are people not watching The Flash because they didn't watch the Supergirl TV show?

2 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

If I'm Zaslav I'd realize the only thing people seem to give a shit about on that show is Jennie so I'd use her in a project as the lead and see how it goes. The K-pop stans are a VERY passionate fanbase.

in Brave and the Bold all the different versions of Robin, nightwing, red hood etc are played by all of BTS.

• Astonished 1

2 hours ago, Dragoncaine said:

Wait a minute, the PostTrak exits are so bad

Early audience PostTrak exits from Comscore/Screen Engine for The Flash shows 4 stars for general audiences and a 60% recommend and 3 1/2 for kids under 12 and 57% recommend. Remember Thursday night due to fans always has better, skewed exits.

Possible B CS incoming?!

This is Quantumania level, terrible... 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, YM! said:

Out of curiosity what are your predictions for the upcoming MCU movies?

Very dependent on quality, and movies having as yet un revealed “hook” elements, so very wide plausible range. Being  somewhat hopeful let’s say:

Marvels 110-> 290

DP3 200->470

Cap4 100 -> 270

Thunderbolts 85 -> 260

• Like 2

Just now, GambitPool said:

I think route to go for Marvel and Disney+ are more one offs like Werewolf by Night. Utilize obscure characters and concepts with absolutely no attachment to the grander universe or build up to a future project. 

No more demanding audiences to sit through 6 episodes of a show so they know who that character is in an upcoming film. No more forcing plot points because the show is either getting a film sequel or is connected to another movie. 

I honestly think Moon Knight could've been the template for what a Disney+ show could be if it was better. No important stakes to the larger universe and no concern with building up 5 different sequels or spin offs. It just let the audience watch a new character without them wondering if they're gonna be in the Avengers or another movie. 

WandaVision, Loki, Werewolf By Night, Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special and possibly Secret Invasion, yes. But at same time, there are characters and storylines that are tailored to work better as TV series instead of films. I need a new She-Hulk season and I think that Daredevil even if they eventually have to recast it’s perfect for the long season approach they had for him on Netflix and they are recreating this on Disney+. I think Falcon and the Winter Soldier should have been a film instead. Also even if Loki is amazing, I want them to only green light a second season if it’s absolutely necessary. 

I love Hawkeye limited series, but I don’t necessarily need a second season of that. I’m very grateful it happened though. 

1 minute ago, Welcbr12 said:

This is Quantumania level, terrible... 

Is it possible that The Flash might get a B Cinemascore? Audiences tend to be more cynical in the Cinemascores with DC than with Marvel in general. If PostTrak is at Quantumania levels now, Cinemascore might go lower than Quantumania. 

2 minutes ago, Rageofthegods said:

He's a financial wizard but he's not a content or branding or vision guy. His brightest idea is, what, a ten year reboot of Harry Potter? 

which is something mind you majority of people do NOT want and continues to receive criticism anytime JK Rowling opens her freaking mouth. 

3 minutes ago, Willowra said:

My question is: are people not watching The Flash because they didn't watch the Supergirl TV show?

The Supergirl there isn’t the Supergirl from the show nor does it have any relevance to the plot. Get a better bit.

6 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Legion, Wanda was already an Avengers level threat on WandaVision. Wanda was on the wrong. She turned a whole city into her slaves lol. I love Wanda, I love the Scarlet Witch, but just I like Jean Grey and the Phoenix. Wanda fucked up. And fucked up big. That’s why her character is so interesting though.

This totally ignores that:

A) it was accienetal

B ) the show endson her realizing what she had done, being horrified, undoing it, and resolving to understand her powers better to prevent such in the future

You *could* do a finale to the first 8 eps which tees here up to be a villain, but the actually existing ep 9 is quote the opposite and restores her firmly to more of a hero role… until mUh eViL BoOk post-credits, of course.

• Like 3

Where is this optimism for The Marvels coming from??

Ant Man 3 trailer atleast got people talking about it. The Marvels trailer was just there. If you aren't a hardcore MCU fan , you won't understand anything that's happening there.

It should have been Captain Marvel 2 not The Marvels , a big missed opportunity and marketing fail

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Eric Prime said:

Yeah I'm hesitant on Cap 4 and Thunderbolts from a creative and "superhero fatigue" perspective, but I think if you just watch the movies, you should be fine. Thunderbolts is basically a Black Widow sequel and they'll probably have a monologue in the Cap 4 trailer where Sam's all "how can I be what Steve wanted me to be" and show that ending scene from Endgame to help make people remember what happened. The Marvels though? It's just an awkward as hell trailer if you aren't aware of what happens in the shows and know who the other two new heroes are.

My dad loves watching Marvel movies because he likes seeing superheroes punch stuff for two hours. But the only three shows he watches are Mandalorian, Ted Lasso and reruns of The Big Bang Theory. There's nothing in The Marvels that would get him excited or care about what's going on. He's never gonna watch these shows. He has no idea why these people have their powers swapped. What's the hook for guys like him? It's dumb! Transmedia storytelling is dumb!

You're not interested in The Marvels because you're not interested in Captain Marvel. Just like a lot of people are not watching The Flash because they aren't interested in the Flash character. No one would say that I'm not watching The Flash because I don't know who Supergirl is and how her power works.

• Like 1