The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

On 9/22/2024 at 9:07 PM, filmpalace said:

The Wild Robot T-4

Tickets sold: 65 (+13)

Growth (over the past 2 days): 25%

Theaters: 2

Showtimes: 12

1,85x Speak No Evil (T-4) – 2,4M

It has also already sold more tickets than Transformers One on its T-2.

The Wild Robot T-3

Tickets sold: 77 (+12)

Growth: 18%

Showtimes: 12

1,50x Speak No Evil (T-3) – 2,0M

Hope this will have better growth in my theaters starting tomorrow

• Like 4

On 9/22/2024 at 9:09 PM, filmpalace said:

Megalopolis T-4

Tickets sold: 64

Growth (over the past 2 days): 7%

Showtimes: 7

1,82x Speak No Evil (T-4) – 2,3M

Yeah, I don't think this will actually open with 2M+ previews. The small growth % indeed suggests its presales might be frontloaded.

Megalopolis T-3

Ticket sold: 70 (+6)

Growth: 9%

Showtimes: 7

1,37x Speak No Evil (T-3) – 1,8M

• Like 4

On 9/22/2024 at 9:10 PM, filmpalace said:

Joker: Folie a Deux T-11

Tickets sold: 262 (+10)

Growth (over the past 2 days): 4%

Showtimes: 21

Joker: Folie a Deux T-10

Tickets sold: 287 (+25)

Growth: 10%

Showtimes: 21

Good growth today.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, vafrow said:

That's a big discrepancy between the Thursday grosses for the two markets. Vancouver is near 10 tickets per showtime. Calgary around 3.

Calgary has always been.....interesting in that regard. Its not uncommon to see Calgary off compared to Vancouver. I dont know if its population, demgraphics, I really dont know, Calgary often seems to be a bit slower with shows much of the time. If I felt I had the time id be tempted to look at Edmonton to see if theres a big difference, but its just getting the theatres now as it stands is work enough lol :)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Tinalera said:

Calgary has always been.....interesting in that regard. Its not uncommon to see Calgary off compared to Vancouver. I dont know if its population, demgraphics, I really dont know, Calgary often seems to be a bit slower with shows much of the time. If I felt I had the time id be tempted to look at Edmonton to see if theres a big difference, but its just getting the theatres now as it stands is work enough lol :)

You cover a lot of markets as is, so I understand completely. It's why I like my consistent little radius.

Calgary's theatre market has very little presence downtown, so I'm wondering if it's a suburb versus urban thing. Are you seeing that pattern within your numbers at all? 

That's my only theory, but it just might be other market differences.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, vafrow said:

You cover a lot of markets as is, so I understand completely. It's why I like my consistent little radius.

Calgary's theatre market has very little presence downtown, so I'm wondering if it's a suburb versus urban thing. Are you seeing that pattern within your numbers at all? 

That's my only theory, but it just might be other market differences.

Ive always seen that pattern of Calgary core being lesser than Vancouver (Calgary is core, I havent tried the suburbs).

Generally though my theory is market differences-Vancouver is really a very different market than Calgary I think-Vancouver compares closer to Toronto generally. Id say Calgary compares more to Montreal but....well as you will in what Im about to post, Montreal can get weird lol

Joker 2

Thurs Oct 3 Fri Oct 4 {t=11)

Toronto and Montreal Canada

# theatre #show Seats Sold Seats Rem Ttl seat Percent

Toronto Thurs 4 33 235 5785 6020 0.0390
  Fri 4 40 292 7999 8291 0.0352

Montreal Thurs 4 23 114 6570 6684 0.0170
  Fri 4 31 223 9018 9241 0.0241

OKAY .....Theres a large Uncertainty with Montreal Thurs. A number of shows over 2 theatres show SOLD OUT, 12 shows over 2 theatres. If I add those "sold out shows, it looks like this (2170 plus 114 on Montreal Thurs

Montreal Thurs 4 23 2184 6570 8754 0.2494

Thats literally a jump of 20 percent if those "sold out" shows are counted. Im GUESSING they could all be Private group sales (whatever they call them up here), or is something jiggy with those shows? Anyway just wanted to put a possible caveat here depending on how you want to see those shows. (please disregard the seats remain and total seat numbers as they are kind of added on and I didnt want to remove those "seats sold" to 0 in case I screwed things up anymore.-ugh this confuses me lol. 

Any thoughts advice would be greatly appreciated as Im not used to group sales stuff up here-esp over2 theatres.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AniNate said:

THE WILD ROBOT

THURSDAY PREVIEWS

BISTRO NORTH CANTON 2
CUYAHOGA FALLS 4
MONROEVILLE MALL 0
NORTH HILLS 48
ROBINSON TOWNSHIP 11
STRONGSVILLE 9
TINSELTOWN BOARDMAN 2
TINSELTOWN NORTH CANTON 19
TOWNSHIP MARKETPLACE 5
VALLEY VIEW 8
WOOSTER 0

Total: 108 (+21.3%)

Just gonna do Thursday previews now

THE WILD ROBOT

BISTRO NORTH CANTON 6
CUYAHOGA FALLS 6
MONROEVILLE MALL 0
NORTH HILLS 55
ROBINSON TOWNSHIP 11
STRONGSVILLE 9
TINSELTOWN BOARDMAN 5
TINSELTOWN NORTH CANTON 20
TOWNSHIP MARKETPLACE 5
VALLEY VIEW 10
WOOSTER

Total: 127 (+17.6%)

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Tinalera said:

Ive always seen that pattern of Calgary core being lesser than Vancouver (Calgary is core, I havent tried the suburbs).

Generally though my theory is market differences-Vancouver is really a very different market than Calgary I think-Vancouver compares closer to Toronto generally. Id say Calgary compares more to Montreal but....well as you will in what Im about to post, Montreal can get weird lol

From my time visiting Calgary, the only true downtown theatre was Eau Claire from what I recall and it closed down. 

I guess it gets into what's urban vs suburb difference, but just in general, Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto all have big flagships right downtown. Markets like Calgary and Ottawa have their closest being a bit outside the core. My experience with some of those cities is that those more urban ones have much greater number of people who live and work downtown, while Ottawa/Calgary are markets where people just commute and out of the downtown cores.

But we're getting pretty deep into Canadian urban development discussions, and probably steering this off topic.

56 minutes ago, Tinalera said:

Joker 2

Thurs Oct 3 Fri Oct 4 {t=11)

Toronto and Montreal Canada

Montreal Thurs 4 23 114 6570 6684 0.0170

OKAY .....Theres a large Uncertainty with Montreal Thurs. A number of shows over 2 theatres show SOLD OUT, 12 shows over 2 theatres. If I add those "sold out shows, it looks like this (2170 plus 114 on Montreal Thurs

Montreal Thurs 4 23 2184 6570 8754 0.2494

Thats literally a jump of 20 percent if those "sold out" shows are counted. Im GUESSING they could all be Private group sales (whatever they call them up here), or is something jiggy with those shows? Anyway just wanted to put a possible caveat here depending on how you want to see those shows. (please disregard the seats remain and total seat numbers as they are kind of added on and I didnt want to remove those "seats sold" to 0 in case I screwed things up anymore.-ugh this confuses me lol. 

Any thoughts advice would be greatly appreciated as Im not used to group sales stuff up here-esp over2 theatres.

I had a weird unexpected sold out show on MTC4 recently for something that I'm convinced was a system glitch. 

MTC4 doesn't list something as sold out unless every seat is sold out, which is hard as youll get the odd single seat in there. Only time I see it get close is small capacity VIP theatres.

The Wild Robot

T-3

Thursday: 810 Seats Sold (From 15 Theaters)

Taken as of 7:05PM Eastern Time 

IMPORTANT NOTES: I don't have a ton to say about this, but I'll at least say that this has sold more tickets than Transformers One at the same point in time. More impressive since this one doesn't have any EA screenings boosting the pre-sales. 

Still, I'm gonna be cautious about this one's prospects. Unless there is a dramatic increase in pre-sales these next few days, I'm expecting an opening weekend that's similar to 2022's The Bad Guys ($23.95M) At best, it could touch $30M (thanks to the stellar buzz/early reviews) but as we just saw with Transformers One, that wasn't enough to get that film to meet projections. 

We'll see what happens, but for an animated film not based on an IP/doesn't have a built-in fanbase, this is doing well so far.

Edited by Ryan C
  • Like 2

Terrifier 3 Massachusetts presale update.

Thursday Oct 10 showings only.

21 theaters.

42 showings.

T-21 was 476 tickets sold.  22.667 tickets per theater or 11.333 tickets per showing.

T-17 is 664 tickets sold (+39.5%).  31.62 tickets per theater or 15.81 tickets per showing.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

The Wild Robot

T-3

Thursday: 810 Seats Sold (From 15 Theaters)

Taken as of 7:05PM Eastern Time 

IMPORTANT NOTES: I don't have a ton to say about this, but I'll at least say that this has sold more tickets than Transformers One at the same point in time. More impressive since this one doesn't have any EA screenings boosting the pre-sales. 

Still, I'm gonna be cautious about this one's prospects. Unless there is a dramatic increase in pre-sales these next few days, I'm expecting an opening weekend that's similar to 2022's The Bad Guys ($23.95M) At best, it could touch $30M (thanks to the stellar buzz/early reviews) but as we just saw with Transformers One, that wasn't enough to get that film to meet projections. 

We'll see what happens, but for an animated film not based on an IP/doesn't have a built-in fanbase, this is doing well so far.

Wild Robot is IP. It's based on a kids book and read in a lot of elementary schools. 

Your post on Transformers One had EA, Fan Event and Previews with a lot more tickers sold.

Transformers One

T-0, T-4, and T-5

Saturday, September 14 - Early Access Screenings: 955 Seats Sold (186.7% Increase From Last Time)

Wednesday, September 18 - Fan Event Screenings: 634 Seats Sold (48.8% Increase From Last Time)

Thursday, September 19 - Traditional Thursday Previews: 457 Seats Sold (12% Increase From Last Time)

= 2,046 Seats Sold (75.3% Increase From Last Time)

Taken as of 1:30AM Eastern Time

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

Wild Robot is IP. It's based on a kids book and read in a lot of elementary schools. 

Your post on Transformers One had EA, Fan Event and Previews with a lot more tickers sold.

Transformers One

T-0, T-4, and T-5

Saturday, September 14 - Early Access Screenings: 955 Seats Sold (186.7% Increase From Last Time)

Wednesday, September 18 - Fan Event Screenings: 634 Seats Sold (48.8% Increase From Last Time)

Thursday, September 19 - Traditional Thursday Previews: 457 Seats Sold (12% Increase From Last Time)

= 2,046 Seats Sold (75.3% Increase From Last Time)

Taken as of 1:30AM Eastern Time

Apologies for saying that it's not based on an IP. I was just trying to say that it's not based on a huge IP with a massive built-in fanbase like Transformers One. I know The Wild Robot is based on a book, but I would not expect any kind of front loading despite it's popularity amongst schools.

Also, about my post on Transformers One, that was the point I was trying to make in my post about The Wild Robot. There isn't any EA sales boosting the number of tickets sold, so that traditional Thursday number I got for The Wild Robot is more impressive than the sales I tracked for Transformers One (77% of that movie's tickets around the same point were from EA screenings).