kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers (actuals) | Aug 18 - 20 | 25.0M BLUE BEETLE | 21.1M BARBIE

3 hours ago, Eric Reyes said:

I will say however that I do feel WB is to blame for Blue Beetle's opening, because they barely did a thing to advertise it. Even before the SAG strikes happened, they basically gave the film the table scraps of their marketing budget in favor of The Flash and Barbie. I saw more advertising done by fans of the Blue Beetle character than the actual conglomerate that has more money than God. I've never seen something like this before with a big movie like this.

It's frankly so scummy to put all the marketing stops, with major press and industry screeenings and forcing Tom Cruise and Stephen King, to say ultra-positive things and hype the movie up as the second coming, over a film starring a known abuser and asshole and a bunch of deepfake cameos of dead people, and then ditch your better-reviewed movie starring a POC lead.

I obviously don't think it would have opened like crazy, but I see no reason to think you couldn't have given us a solid 45M opening with stronger advertising and a "representation matters" hook towards the most active moviegoing audience. It's also way cheaper than Flash too, so an opening on that level was a way better investment, especially if this is supposed to tie into the new Gunn universe.

It's like those WB execs want to fail. Sheer idiocy.

And you gave me the warning of a thread ban when I said that Disney and Marvel Studios are sabotaging the Marvels. So it's ok for moderators to say that a studio wants to sabotage a movie, but a user can't say that?

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 2

12 minutes ago, Willowra said:

And you gave me the warning of a thread ban when I said that Disney and Marvel Studios are sabotaging the Marvels. So it's ok for moderators to say that a studio wants to sabotage a movie, but a user can't say that?

It's simple,

Marvel = Disney, which has all the beloved IPs, and also the political angle, as Disney has somehow become a champion of twitter liberals (which is baffling)

DC = Warner Bros, the currently approved punching bag

Edited by Bob Train
  • Like 7

It’s over for this film! There’s no way it makes a profit. Maybe it can be a hit on streaming, but we aren’t ever getting the character again, regardless of what Gunn says, executives will probably veto him, especially if Legacy underperforms like I think it will. I don’t know how you fix DC brand image honestly