Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | #FRI - Equalizer $13.1M, Barbie $2.50M, GT $1.56M, Beetle $1.52M, Opp $1.32M, TMNT $1.04M

1 minute ago, kayumanggi said:

I think 1B is happening for OPPENHEIMER. That's crazy.

Don't see how - not in a first run, at least. A large portion of that international number is China opening. I suppose it can always surprise with insane legs there, but I think it's far more likely it only makes another 30 million there. Another 20 domestic? 25 at a push without major re-expansions? It's not got enough in the tank for a billion. It would need Japan to play - and play big. I do think it will hit that billion eventually though, with various re-releases. 

• Like 2

Just now, reddevil19 said:

Don't see how - not in a first run, at least. A large portion of that international number is China opening. I suppose it can always surprise with insane legs there, but I think it's far more likely it only makes another 30 million there. Another 20 domestic? 25 at a push without major re-expansions? It's not got enough in the tank for a billion. It would need Japan to play - and play big. I do think it will hit that billion eventually though, with various re-releases. 

I could be very much mistaken here, but I remember reading the projections in China is around 100M? I say 950M at least then, which is still a huge feat all things considered.

1 minute ago, kayumanggi said:

I remember reading the projections in China is around 100M

That was one lunatic tweet base don zero facts. I may be guilty of being overly negative at times, but that was pure pie-in-the-sky nonsense. 60 million range is the most realistic final number as it stands now. It could trend slightly down or slightly up depending on next few days, but 100 is a fantasy right now.

As you said though, the total numbers for this are insane regardless. It's going to become the biggest biopic of all time. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

That was one lunatic tweet base don zero facts. I may be guilty of being overly negative at times, but that was pure pie-in-the-sky nonsense. 60 million range is the most realistic final number as it stands now. It could trend slightly down or slightly up depending on next few days, but 100 is a fantasy right now.

As you said though, the total numbers for this are insane regardless. It's going to become the biggest biopic of all time. 

And the second(?) highest grossing R-rated movie of all time.

Blue Beetle def a weekend movie playing to family's it seems. Which makes sense if you have seen the movie. Also DR Part 1 getting to 170. Yay! Oppenheimer. All I can say is WOW. A 3 hour Biopic doing that much is just crazy. Nolan you are the man.  And Denzel also the Man. Getting that elusive older male audience to the theaters. 

• Like 2