kayumanggi

THE WILD ROBOT | 09.27.2024 | Universal | Chris Sanders to direct | official trailer 2 on page 7

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

Doubt anyone goes head-to-head against Joker on 10/4 though, even as potential counterprogramming.

White Bird is already set on that date, another family title. Joker 2 will be taking all the largest screens even if it caters to a different audience, probably best to avoid it regardless and let Lionsgate take the risk.

I expect this to shift a week back to the 27th (Abominable opened on the last week of Sep before a Joker movie back in 2019) or to October 11th. Otherwise, maybe a move all the way to early 2025 (might be seen as excessive, but it's not unprecedented).

Edited by misterpepp

I doubt white bird is staying there, if it's even staying theatrical. lionsgate seemingly flaunted everything except that movie at cinemacon, lol. 

9/27 would be fine I guess, still would prefer it not have to deal with rigid tfone first two week contracts. Think a delay all the way to next year is unnecessary unless there are significant last minute story issues. Like, even if it stayed exactly where it is it could probably leg out to a solid total assuming really good reviews. I do feel like post kfp4's breakout dreamworks is in a better position now to call a bluff if they truly think they have goods here and tfone either moves back to August or to next year

Edited by AniNate

39 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I wonder if Universal, seeing the highly volatile reception the Transformers trailer is getting, deems that movie not big enough of a threat and decides to stay put.

I'm skeptical Paramount has a full marketing budget for its movies left to compete with Univeral anyway. That "trailer in space" shtick was the best they had. Even GOOD Paramount movies have fallen flat on their face (Honor Among Thieves). It's pretty obvious they can't compete.

On 4/18/2024 at 5:39 PM, AniNate said:

9/27 would be fine I guess, still would prefer it not have to deal with rigid tfone first two week contracts.

You called it.

Well not really, I was thinking they would go two weeks later but this would've been my second choice.

It would be funny/annoying if it and TF just kept playing chicken with release dates all the way through October

I feel these projects at least need two weeks from each other and think if one would suffer OW it’s probably Wild Robot. Indigenous People’s Day weekend (10/11) and kickoff November (11/1) would be much better release dates.

1 minute ago, justnumbers said:

Still don't understand why these 2 are coming out so close. I don't wanna hear when The Wild Robot flops or even both. Just idiotic.

If Wild Robot flops I'm not gonna blame Transformers. Everything about the movie's marketing and PR so far indicates it's going for more of an awards/WOM play, so what matters most is that it can hold on to that near two months of no future competition. That has been demonstrated to be a money printer for Universal's animated efforts the last couple years.

I don't think TF really needed to worry about Beetlejuice cutting into its interest that much, now that Wild Robot has moved back it's probably a lot better off just moving up to its original 13th date again.

• Like 1

I should probably read the book before I watch it. Not that it'll be 1:1 accurate (Home, Dragons, Captain aren't), but out of curiosity.

Dreamworks probably could have made a competent Mistmantle movie.

It actually does seem pretty faithful judging from the trailer, though I think some narrative structure changes are inevitable

Spoiler

It also ends on a rather somber note, so I suspect that'll be changed or at least they'll add a bit from the beginning of the second book to make it more upbeat