Eric Deetz

Horizon Part 2 | Pulled from release

2 hours ago, Maggie said:

It was big gamble to announce four movies before even knowing how the first one does.  Same mistake Mission Impossible did. Only James Cameron can win this gamble.

Another problem was it was basically one film released in four parts; none of the four parts could stand on it won like the MI films or Avatar could.

I don’t see this as meaning we won’t get Part 2 in cinemas.  It’ll have a better shot when more people have caught up with it. 

Parts 3 and 4 are certainly in doubt though, at least theatrically. 

I found Part 1 a real mixed bag in terms of its edit, even if there was lots I liked about it.  Still hope I get to see the second one on the big screen 

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Hopefully this simply means that they’re gonna wait a little longer to release it. Releasing it less than two months after the previous movie was always a weird idea.  

SOrry, but I think Horizon is dead as far as theaters go. 

The studio is cutting it's red ink, and sees no reason to throw away money on a threatical release . People don't get how much it costs to get a movie into theaters.

Not surprising when the film is so deep in the red. Somewhat of a shame, because the first chapter, despite pacing issues, is a mostly good Western. The problem is that this sort of gamble required the first chapter to be more than "OK". There needed to be at least a few strong resolutions in the plot, but that was all but entirely vacant from the film. Too many loose threads. It felt like a pilot episode followed by some middling fillers. At least two of the acts in a 3 hour Western needs to draw the audience in.

The silver lining here is that I'm almost entirely sure this will perform much better on streaming platforms. Costner is a TV star now, and TV is not what it use to be when he was in his theatrical prime. It's just as prestigious as film these days. Granted, the beautiful vistas of the Utah's otherworldly expanse might lose some of its majesty on smaller screens.

Edited by ThePhasmid
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, dudalb said:

SOrry, but I think Horizon is dead as far as theaters go. 

The studio is cutting it's red ink, and sees no reason to throw away money on a threatical release . People don't get how much it costs to get a movie into theaters.

The studio isn't the one losing the money on this. As Deadline mentioned in its opening weekend article, Costner is the one paying for the promotion, and WB is being paid a distribution fee. If anyone is deciding to send it to digital or theaters, it's Costner, and he's already put up the money and signed the contracts for this release, plus he seems determined to get these on the big screen. Not impossible, but it'd be a tremendous legal headache to switch it to streaming, and WB would possibly have to give back a portion of the fee they were paid (somebody would also have to pay out any back-end deals for the whole cast, Costner or one of the other financiers would maybe be on the hook for that).

Edited by misterpepp

3 hours ago, misterpepp said:

The studio isn't the one losing the money on this. As Deadline mentioned in its opening weekend article, Costner is the one paying for the promotion, and WB is being paid a distribution fee. If anyone is deciding to send it to digital or theaters, it's Costner, and he's already put up the money and signed the contracts for this release, plus he seems determined to get these on the big screen. Not impossible, but it'd be a tremendous legal headache to switch it to streaming, and WB would possibly have to give back a portion of the fee they were paid (somebody would also have to pay out any back-end deals for the whole cast, Costner or one of the other financiers would maybe be on the hook for that).

Question is do the theaters want the sequels? Theaters do not like having to book films that will play to empty houses, and I am betting the contracts the theaters had were for the first film with maybe an option for the sequels. They will not exercise the options.

ANything can happen, but I would bet a fair amount you will not see the other 3 parts in theaters. Costner will probably have to go the streaming route because he has no other real choice.

For an Box office site, many people here have no idea how things work in the film business. Theaters are not going to cmmit themsleves to long term risky proposition. They almost certainly have an out in the contract to get out of having ot show the other 3 parts if the first part flopped.

Theaters do not like showing movies that will play to empty houses. Therr might be legal problems with switching to streaming, but theaters screaming about the switch after how the first film performed will not be one of them.

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Horizon was selling really well in certain rural movies theaters when it came out. I imagine they're pissed at least, especially since they'll have to refund half of the bundle tickets.

Proof of that?

And I am sure the contracts have a clause which will switch the expense of the ticker refunds to whoever it distributing the film instead of the theaters. 

Edited by dudalb

I didn't screenshot the seating charts of opening day but I know the Canton theater was filling up to capacity opening Friday.

This is at least proof that it wasn't the megacities that got it what little gross it managed:

Horizon played well in nontraditional markets. Pic’s top ten cinemas were the Larry Miller Pineview Stadium in St. George, Utah, 2. Santikos Palladium in San Antonio, 3. Harkins in Scottsdale, AZ, 4. Harkins Estrella Falls in Phoenix, 5. Regal Warren Moore in Oklahoma, 6. Harkins Camelview Fashion Square in Phoenix, 7. AMC Thoroughbred in Nashville, TN 8. Larry Miller Sunset Stadium in St. George, Utah, 9. Schulman Film Alley Weatherford, TX, and 10. Reading California Oaks in Murrieta, CA.

Box Office: 'A Quiet Place: Day One' Sees $53M Series Best, 'Inside Out 2' No. 1 (deadline.com)

Horizon Part 1's per-theater-average was $3,315 on opening weekend, which was the third-highest PTA among releases playing on over 3,000 screens that weekend. Playing Horizon Part 1 was a better option to book a screen for than playing the fourth week of Bad Boys 4 (although theater's take of the revenue on that one may have been higher), and it was a significantly better option than playing the second week of Bikeriders, the seventh week of IF, the sixth week of Garfield, the second week of Kinds of Kindness, etc.

Booking screens won't be a problem, especially if they open it on a barren date on the calendar. I don't believe any theaters have signed deals to play all 4 movies, they only booked the first two. They'll happily play the second, even if it does similarly or slightly worse than the first installment, it'll get better business on opening weekend than the seventh or eighth weekend of a movie that will certainly be playing to an empty theater.

19 hours ago, misterpepp said:

Horizon Part 1's per-theater-average was $3,315 on opening weekend, which was the third-highest PTA among releases playing on over 3,000 screens that weekend. Playing Horizon Part 1 was a better option to book a screen for than playing the fourth week of Bad Boys 4 (although theater's take of the revenue on that one may have been higher), and it was a significantly better option than playing the second week of Bikeriders, the seventh week of IF, the sixth week of Garfield, the second week of Kinds of Kindness, etc.

Booking screens won't be a problem, especially if they open it on a barren date on the calendar. I don't believe any theaters have signed deals to play all 4 movies, they only booked the first two. They'll happily play the second, even if it does similarly or slightly worse than the first installment, it'll get better business on opening weekend than the seventh or eighth weekend of a movie that will certainly be playing to an empty theater.

I disagree.

Trying to portary this as some kind of hidden sucess is silly.

18 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I disagree.

Trying to portary this as some kind of hidden sucess is silly.

So you believe a theater should keep playing movies only selling $1k worth of tickets over a weekend instead of $3.3k+ worth of tickets? Yikes, your theater would go out of business fast!

Nobody's saying Horizon 1 is a hidden success (Costner in particular will lose a tremendous amount of money on this whole endeavor), I have no idea how you came to that conclusion unless you completely misunderstood what I said, which I'm starting to suspect is exactly what happened. I'm also not appreciative of the tone you're taking, implying I don't know what I'm talking about when you're already showing you're not very informed on the distribution deal that was made on this movie.

Theaters are happy to play Horizon 2 if it means they'll get more business than a movie in its third, sixth, or eighth weekend. Obviously they'd rather play a movie that'll bring in way more business than that, but when that option isn't available, they'll be more than willing to take Horizon 2. It's more business than they'd get otherwise, pretty basic economics. If Horizon 2 goes to streaming, it won't be because WB made that call or because theaters refused to play it, it'll be because Costner made the call himself.

Edited by misterpepp
  • Like 5