Eric is Quiet

The Top 100 Disney Movies | A dream is when you wish upon a star | Pixar, Marvel, Touchstone, Miramax, oh my! | Will accept late submissions!

4 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Like saying Ghibli is “Disney” feels like the very threads of the space-time continuum may unravel.

can't be worse than saying Pulp Fiction is Disney.

And I think Ghibli hits some of the same notes as Disney anyways. 🫢

Still obviously different kinds of movies though.

• Astonished 1

10 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Eesh, idk if I can do this because a lot of the films eligible simply are not “Disney” films in my book. Like saying Ghibli is “Disney” feels like the very threads of the space-time continuum may unravel. I’d rather include Shrek on a Disney list lol

Then just…don’t put Ghibli films on your list. :lol:

• Haha 1

I mainly abstained from the WB list because I felt I was missing too many films and had much less time to sit and make a big list back then so I guess I'll try with this one.

I'll say having stuff like ghibli films and chungking express here feels really weird for me. They'll rank high on my list, but...it just feels weird lol.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I could probably vote for 100 movies if I wanted to but it would probably end up being a lot of schlock I don't want to vote for. 🤷‍♂️

So I left it at 50. The schlock I DO want to vote for.

I say this as I expanded my list to 75 movies.

4 hours ago, cannastop said:

I could probably vote for 100 movies if I wanted to but it would probably end up being a lot of schlock I don't want to vote for. 🤷‍♂️

So I left it at 50. The schlock I DO want to vote for.

Funny you say that, considering that my current list has around 150 movies in it...

FYC 1950s

open-uri20150422-12561-1givdux_c0e35a77.

A fantastic combo of concept, cast, and execution. It's a fantastic story with complexity and nuance, about humanity and technology and intellect, all anchored by an incredible cast of Hollywood legends. James Mason is phenomenal as the morally conflicted Captain Nemo, while Kirk Douglas, Peter Lorre, and Paul Lukas serve well as our likable heroes. There's also incredible setpieces including a giant squid, amazing production design, gorgeous underwater cinematography, and a cute sea lion. It's a fantastic package that deserves way more love amongst Disney fandoms, as it sadly feels underappreciated in this day and age.

p_ladyandthetramp_19879_a178c3df.jpeg?re

Obviously everybody knows what this is, but I feel most only know it for the spaghetti scene and don't acknowledge the rest of the piece. In many ways, this is Disney's best romance story ever. A fantastic look at social class divisions with two well-defined and interesting dog characters. It's reminiscent of classic romantic comedies, while also being a mature, smarlty-written piece about relationships, sacrifice, and adjusting to life changes. Great music too.

p7031_p_v10_ac.jpg

Most people know it for the ending, but there's a lot more to this story. It's a very strong tale of growing up, as the son of the family, the teenage boy Travis, must learn to be the man of the house and take responsibility, while also try to develop a friendship with his new pet dog he wants nothing to do with. It's a film about how being a man also means being sensitive, letting your guard down, and be more appreciative towards others. 

It's also pretty brutal at points. While still aimed at a younger audience, this film contains some intense fight scenes between animals and there's a good blend of tough, heavy moments mixed in with some enjoyable moments of tenderness. It's what classic Disney does so well. Show how life is full of tough, dark, sad moments, but it can often lead to the happiest results.

And yes, that ending really is something great. The final act is full of great tension and drama and elevates the whole picture from a decent kids title and a really solid family drama.

The_Shaggy_Dog_-_1963_-_Poster.png

This is a weird movie, and I love every second of it. It's an odd concept of a kid turning into a dog through magic gobbledygook that offers surreal moments of lunacy, fun insights into 1950s culture, and a solid story anchoring everything. These kinds of goofy low-budget comedies Disney made in the 50s-70s are definitely an acquired taste, but this is one of the better ones. It's reminiscent of 60s sitcom kitsch, which is my everything. And if you're in the same boat, you'll dig this too.

MV5BN2VmYjI5YWYtODlkOS00ZjE4LWIzYTItMmQ1

Absurdly silly, but also very endearing and charming all the same. Not only does this have legit impressive special effects that still look impressive decades later, but there's lovely Irish locales and vistas, an endearing cast, including a pre-Bond Sean Connery as an Irish man--not as weird as John Wayne being Irish I suppose--and a lighthearted story that flows well, features a lot of memorable bits of folklore, and an entertaining climax that has just enough dread behind it, while still serving well as an upbeat family story. It deserves more love among classic Disney fans.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Eric Fazbear said:

In many ways, this is Disney's best romance story ever. A fantastic look at social class divisions with two well-defined and interesting dog characters. It's reminiscent of classic romantic comedies, while also being a mature, smarlty-written piece about relationships, sacrifice, and adjusting to life changes.